Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Computer Decisions

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 12, 2012 4:50:49 AM

I was thinking of either buying or building a new computer meant for gaming this year. You guys will probably just say give us a price and we will help you out, pretty simple right? Well, i have a few complications. My parents are divorced, so for the two years before i go off to college i have to switch houses every two weeks. So i can not really get a generic gaming desktop computer. Should i get a gaming laptop? I have heard that they do not nearly reach the performance of a desktop. So i looked into other options, maybe a lanning computer, like the lan series from ibuypower? Are they that portable to be moved around every week? A lanning computer would also require me to buy another monitor, i already have a 32 inch at my dads.

So here is my quesion, should i get gaming laptop or a portable desktop(if they are that portable), given my circumstances. Thank you so much for taking your time and reading these, please agknoledge this question with the idea of a 1000 and a 1500 dollar budget. :D 

More about : gaming computer decisions

a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 5:34:30 AM

You should build your own. Had the same problem as you.

My solution?



Small portable case with handle. I did a build in one of these awhile back and it was a great choice. I still have the case actually. Its holding some other components at the moment.

This would be the way to go personally.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:00:42 AM

I agree. Get yourself a small portable case. Laptops cost a fortune and you can easily spend $4000 on a gaming laptop that can't do what a $1000 desktop system can do.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:02:52 AM

This is completely irrelevant nekulturny, but I've seen you around the forums. You've had the same quote on your profile thing for a long time now:

"No Keyboard Detected
Press F1 to continue"

And I just got it. :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:15:40 AM

Deemo13 said:
This is completely irrelevant nekulturny, but I've seen you around the forums. You've had the same quote on your profile thing for a long time now:

"No Keyboard Detected
Press F1 to continue"

And I just got it. :) 

LOL. I always thought it was amusing, some computers actually do say that though, thats the sad part. :lol: 
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 1:54:06 PM

Are they harder to build with a smaller case? and i have virtually no expirance with building these things so how hard is it? do i just have to buy all the parts that most people reccomend? or are their connecters and parts that are not included that i also have to get? any help at all will be great
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 2:11:06 PM

seviraseth said:
Are they harder to build with a smaller case? and i have virtually no expirance with building these things so how hard is it? do i just have to buy all the parts that most people reccomend? or are their connecters and parts that are not included that i also have to get? any help at all will be great


Hey there. Putting together your own PC isnt too hard - the parts all only fit together in one way. You might need to buy a couple sata cables, but thats it. Then you install windows. Smaller case just means smaller parts.

The real question here is: do you feel comfortable researching and troubleshooting on your own if something goes wrong? You wont have a warranty to fall back on. If you have the time and patience to learn and fix issues your PC youself, a home build is by far the better option.
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 2:32:52 PM

seviraseth said:
Are they harder to build with a smaller case? and i have virtually no expirance with building these things so how hard is it? do i just have to buy all the parts that most people reccomend? or are their connecters and parts that are not included that i also have to get? any help at all will be great


Not harder but you do have to pay more attention to cooling and cabling. As a generalistation depending on budget the smaller the form factor becomes we start to lose the possibility of the highest end GPU's (a reference size GTX670 wont fit in the average small form case) or overclocking CPU's to silly levels (heat). Anyway you look at it though it will outperform a laptop by a large margin.

As to building 1000 monkies with 1000 typewriters screwdrivers could build rigs
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 4:23:48 PM

If you're serious about that $1500 budget, then consider something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Enermax ETD-T60-TB 86.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Professional-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.36 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($274.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Vulcan Black MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($138.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1319.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I don't really have much context as to what you're wanting other than portability, so I put this together as an example of sorts. There are some things I want to note, though:

- It can hold any video card you want up to 350mm (~13.7 inches) with no trouble
- The whole side of the case is mesh, as you can plainly see; this may cause some noise and dust issues without some forethought
- The Vulcan may or may not be able to house smaller tower-coolers on this motherboard; I've seen some people insinuate that it can only handle <130mm-height coolers, and others imply a more generous ~150mm. If it does turn out to be possible, something like a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme (152mm height) would be incredibly good to have
- A $1500 budget can afford you virtually any bell and whistle you'll want, really (unless you want something silly; let's be realistic though)
- I don't know what kind of audio setup you have, but if it's anything halfway decent then you'll likely enjoy the higher-quality sound from a discrete sound card
- If overclocking isn't your thing, a nice handful of money can be saved on the CPU and motherboard by dropping to a locked i5 and an H77 mATX mobo
- Even with all this stuff I've picked out (including Windows) you'll still have more than enough to get a great mouse and keyboard (even speakers, too; again, assuming you're serious about that $1500)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 6:05:34 PM

Quote:
Are they harder to build with a smaller case? and i have virtually no expirance with building these things so how hard is it? do i just have to buy all the parts that most people reccomend? or are their connecters and parts that are not included that i also have to get? any help at all will be great


They're not necessarily harder, but they do take a little bit more work to do the cable management and all. Building the computer itself is not that bad like said here. We'll recommend parts based on the kind of computer you want to build and some other criteria like

budget
overclocking
portability
preferences
etc.

The build above is good, but I don't believe a sound card is necessary, and I'd recommend the 212 EVO instead for a CPU cooler.

If the OP does not want to overclock, it would be easier to go for the i5-3450 and the stock cooler as well as a cheaper H77.

Basically seviraseth, what's going to happen here is that we are going to ask you questions and then we amongst ourselves will decide on parts.
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 6:17:48 PM

Deemo13 said:
The build above is good, but I don't believe a sound card is necessary, and I'd recommend the 212 EVO instead for a CPU cooler. If the OP does not want to overclock, it would be easier to go for the i5-3450 and the stock cooler as well as a cheaper H77.

Yeah, I addressed all that in the notes below it, but it was mostly just an example of what he can get with that budget he suggested.

Deemo13 said:
Basically seviraseth, what's going to happen here is that we are going to ask you questions and then we amongst ourselves will decide on parts.

Pretty much this. I don't think any of us would recommend the laptop over an actual PC, so a lot of the questions we'll want answered can be found right here.

(Side note: don't take our word for any of the recommendations, either. Do your own research on what we suggest and see how the parts actually stack up - not only will you have a better idea of what your machine can do, but you'll also feel much more confident about these purchases as well.)
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 6:28:24 PM

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8762/cst-886/Lian_Li_...
Lian Li Mini Series PC-V351B / Black / Mini Tower Case - There are customisation options to explore for this case

Thought I'd toss in the above link to show you some case options. I did design a build centered around it in a past thread for somebody but mousseng's build is better so I didnt include it.

Changes I would make though are

This mobo I have issues over ASrock's QC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Bin the Soundcard

and look in to watercooling that CPU, normally I detest closed loop liquid coolers but in a small form factor build I think it should be explored for 2 reasons

1 - Less space taken in case (though rad can kind of counteract this)

2 - You plan to move this around alot having a big HSF dangling off the mobo isn't the best idea when transporting and removing it and reapplying it would be a real ballache so a close loop liquid soluition would solve this issue.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 6:35:09 PM

Quote:
I don't really have much context as to what you're wanting other than portability, so I put this together as an example of sorts. There are some things I want to note, though:

- It can hold any video card you want up to 350mm (~13.7 inches) with no trouble
- The whole side of the case is mesh, as you can plainly see; this may cause some noise and dust issues without some forethought
- The Vulcan may or may not be able to house smaller tower-coolers on this motherboard; I've seen some people insinuate that it can only handle <130mm-height coolers, and others imply a more generous ~150mm. If it does turn out to be possible, something like a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme (152mm height) would be incredibly good to have
- A $1500 budget can afford you virtually any bell and whistle you'll want, really (unless you want something silly; let's be realistic though)
- I don't know what kind of audio setup you have, but if it's anything halfway decent then you'll likely enjoy the higher-quality sound from a discrete sound card
- If overclocking isn't your thing, a nice handful of money can be saved on the CPU and motherboard by dropping to a locked i5 and an H77 mATX mobo
- Even with all this stuff I've picked out (including Windows) you'll still have more than enough to get a great mouse and keyboard (even speakers, too; again, assuming you're serious about that $1500)


The 212 Plus was able to fit when I had it in my Vulcan.

Quote:
I don't think any of us would recommend the laptop over an actual PC


Yup.
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 7:03:43 PM

wr6133 said:
This mobo I have issues over ASrock's QC

I don't really know that ASRock has any more issues than Gigabyte or ASUS; I hear just as many stories of DOAs and other issues for every brand. Regardless of what I think, though, ASRock have improved over the years (as evidenced by their #3 position in the market).

Quote:
Bin the Soundcard

I figured I'd see a lot of this, but I'd hold off on canning that idea just yet until we find out what seviraseth's audio digs are. I'd say if he has a nice headset or speaker system, it'd be a nice investment for being only $50.

Quote:
and look in to watercooling that CPU, normally I detest closed loop liquid coolers but in a small form factor build I think it should be explored for 2 reasons

I also considered throwing an H100 onto that list instead of the Enermax, but the H100 would require some case-modding to be able to mount. I'm not so sure of how the H80 and H60 perform in comparison (I hear lots of rabbling about noise and low performance, but I don't think those are substantiated at all), but I do believe they will fit in both the top and front of the case, so it's definitely something to look into.

Deemo13 said:
The 212 Plus was able to fit when I had it in my Vulcan.

Okay, right on. So if he does want to go for air cooling, he should be able to fit most tower coolers (212 Plus is 159mm tall).
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:15:10 PM

mousseng said:
I don't really know that ASRock has any more issues than Gigabyte or ASUS; I hear just as many stories of DOAs and other issues for every brand. Regardless of what I think, though, ASRock have improved over the years (as evidenced by their #3 position in the market).

Quote:
Bin the Soundcard

I figured I'd see a lot of this, but I'd hold off on canning that idea just yet until we find out what seviraseth's audio digs are. I'd say if he has a nice headset or speaker system, it'd be a nice investment for being only $50.

Quote:
and look in to watercooling that CPU, normally I detest closed loop liquid coolers but in a small form factor build I think it should be explored for 2 reasons

I also considered throwing an H100 onto that list instead of the Enermax, but the H100 would require some case-modding to be able to mount. I'm not so sure of how the H80 and H60 perform in comparison (I hear lots of rabbling about noise and low performance, but I don't think those are substantiated at all), but I do believe they will fit in both the top and front of the case, so it's definitely something to look into.


Okay, right on. So if he does want to go for air cooling, he should be able to fit most tower coolers (212 Plus is 159mm tall).


I avoid recommending Gigabyte for the same reason. I had a $180 board that died 3 weeks after putting the system together (since replaced by my Sabertooth), Gigabyte tech support was horrid, they passed the buck back to TigerDirect, didn't even really try to assist me in troubleshooting. Aside from that, this board still had your ordinary old blue screen BIOS, unbeknownst to me at the time I bought it is totally unacceptable for a motherboard bought in 2011/2012 in excess of well, pretty much $100 USD. Even cheap motherboards these days have UEFI BIOS interfaces. But yea, pretty much any brand is going to have some boards that slip through the cracks of QC. ANYTHING mass produced has this risk.

As far as sound cards, unless you have speakers that cost more than $150, the intergated sound card on most modern motherboards will be perfectly sufficient. Even if you did have super expensive speakers, even mid range mobos have 7.1 surround support and digital outputs. What more can you ask for?

If you're overclocking, I can go along with the closed loop watercooling system, although you have to take care not to rough handle it. Yes, big air coolers can put a strain on the mobo, but you have to remember that pipes coming off a watercooler, they're not kidding around, its filled with water, water and electronics are not good friends. You still have to take care when transporting the system.

m
0
l
October 12, 2012 7:21:23 PM

The H60 is in 212EVO performance territory its maligned for builds as it costs more than cheap big air. I think for this its seriously appealing as you dont want to be hanging a big heatsink off a board and then transporting the thing regularly, just seems like pointless strain.

Doubt we will agree ever on ASrock but my opinion is they are not in the same league as ASUS and GByte, the z77 extreme 4 has already been caught using low end cheap mofsets (thats how it offers so many "features" so cheap) I just think they started as a budget company they still are one just occasioanly they attempt to sugar coat sh!t and play with the big boys (though I bet they don't DOA as much as MSI).
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 7:30:34 PM

Quote:
I avoid recommending Gigabyte for the same reason. I had a $180 board that died 3 weeks after putting the system together (since replaced by my Sabertooth), Gigabyte tech support was horrid, they passed the buck back to TigerDirect, didn't even really try to assist me in troubleshooting. Aside from that, this board still had your ordinary old blue screen BIOS, unbeknownst to me at the time I bought it is totally unacceptable for a motherboard bought in 2011/2012 in excess of well, pretty much $100 USD. Even cheap motherboards these days have UEFI BIOS interfaces. But yea, pretty much any brand is going to have some boards that slip through the cracks of QC. ANYTHING mass produced has this risk.

Thing is mate there are less threads like this over tech sites about specific Asus or Gbyte boards http://www.overclock.net/t/1271002/asrock-z77-vrm-phase... (mofsets get discussed a few posts down) while thats not end of world stuff its enough to see the company willingly cut a corner (on a board they advertise it's OC potential)

Quote:
If you're overclocking, I can go along with the closed loop watercooling system, although you have to take care not to rough handle it. Yes, big air coolers can put a strain on the mobo, but you have to remember that pipes coming off a watercooler, they're not kidding around, its filled with water, water and electronics are not good friends. You still have to take care when transporting the system.


I stand to be corrected but I think propylene Gycol (excuse spelling) is non conductive (though somewhat highly toxic).

*EDIT* coz i broke the quote thingy
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:34:56 PM

Quote:

I stand to be corrected but I think propylene Gycol (excuse spelling) is non conductive (though somewhat highly toxic).

I believe they're filled with distilled water, or even any kind of distilled substance. In and of itself, it cannot conduct electricity (as it is purified), however, once the water or PG makes contact with the outside of the loop, it can mix with the salts in the solder rosin on the board, dust, etc inside the system, and then viola, it becomes conductive.

As far as the Asrock thing, I'll have to look into that, I'll check out the link on it, but yea, if they're cheaping out on power mosfets, that does say something. Asrock Extreme 3s and 4s come highly recommended by several tech sites (including this one), did they miss this?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:39:04 PM

BTW, Propylene Glycol actually isn't that toxic (at least its not supposed to be), you can find it in a lot of foods, and electronic cigarette liquids use it as a base.
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 7:43:01 PM

nekulturny said:
Quote:

I stand to be corrected but I think propylene Gycol (excuse spelling) is non conductive (though somewhat highly toxic).

I believe they're filled with distilled water, or even any kind of distilled substance. In and of itself, it cannot conduct electricity (as it is purified), however, once the water or PG makes contact with the outside of the loop, it can mix with the salts in the solder rosin on the board, dust, etc inside the system, and then viola, it becomes conductive.

As far as the Asrock thing, I'll have to look into that, I'll check out the link on it, but yea, if they're cheaping out on power mosfets, that does say something. Asrock Extreme 3s and 4s come highly recommended by several tech sites (including this one), did they miss this?


Most places reviewing a board dont bother to lift the heatsinks and look underneath, also they tend to test the OC ability of a board with rather short tests. Testing mobos is not glamorous and not too many places are going to run a board with a heavy OC for say 12 hours and then rinse and repeat that cycle for however many boards they need to test. The extreme 4 is well featured so sure if someone doesn't OC its appealing but people just need to rememeber you dont get an extra £40 of features for free they have cut somewhere to make it up..... in this instance they got caught.
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 7:45:47 PM

nekulturny said:
BTW, Propylene Glycol actually isn't that toxic (at least its not supposed to be), you can find it in a lot of foods, and electronic cigarette liquids use it as a base.


Did say I stand to be corrected on that one ;) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 7:48:36 PM

wr6133 said:
Did say I stand to be corrected on that one ;) 

lol, meh, you're getting Propylene Glycol confused with its big, nasty cousin Ethylene Glycol aka Antifreeze. Oh boy is it delicious, but so bad for you. :lol: 
m
0
l
October 12, 2012 8:12:17 PM

nekulturny said:
lol, meh, you're getting Propylene Glycol confused with its big, nasty cousin Ethylene Glycol aka Antifreeze. Oh boy is it delicious, but so bad for you. :lol: 


I drank most things in my Army days but not anti freeze seems I missed out :lol:  ? I'm teetotal these days though so guess I wont be finding out :cry: 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 8:58:26 PM

Wow this thread got alot more posts since I commented last.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 9:20:26 PM

wr6133 said:
I drank most things in my Army days but not anti freeze seems I missed out :lol:  ? I'm teetotal these days though so guess I wont be finding out :cry: 

Lol, I was a car nerd before I was a computer nerd, I've had the unfortunate experience of an antifreeze shower once or twice in my life. It really does taste sweet like people say, only downside is it has an oily aftertaste.

Deemo13 said:
Wow this thread got alot more posts since I commented last.

Happens a lot when you get chums together in a thread. Join us! We have antifreeze sundaes. :hello: 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 9:23:41 PM

nekulturny said:
Lol, I was a car nerd before I was a computer nerd, I've had the unfortunate experience of an antifreeze shower once or twice in my life. It really does taste sweet like people say, only downside is it has an oily aftertaste.


Happens a lot when you get chums together in a thread. Join us! We have antifreeze sundaes. :hello: 


"Was" a car nerd?

I'm both lol.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 9:43:32 PM

Yea well lol, I don't have access to the tools and side income I used to when I lived in Pennsylvania. Long story short, moved to a new town, and I'm not as outgoing as I used to be, so I haven't rebuilt my clique of "car friends". Pretty much anymore, when my car breaks, I'll fix it, but the days of me hanging out in a parking lot filled with souped up cars, and getting into arguments that lead to impromptu street races are behind me. I still got my '03 RSX Type S, but the attitude that came with it just aint there no more.

Some punk guy with a large beard with a volkswagen rabbit with a 1.8T the other day, this thing was stupidly riced out hot pink wheels were the centerpiece of that polished turd, whipped around me the other day trying to bait me in a race while I was driving to class. I know I could have smoked his silly ass back to Germany. I didn't even bother.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 10:01:27 PM

On a side note.. Why do so many people think V-Dubs are good? They're expensive as hell to fix when they break, which more than makes up for the alleged selling point that they are hard to break in the first place, but on top of that... They need a damn turbo on their 2.0L engines to put out less horsepower than a naturally aspirated K20 Honda engine puts out.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 10:01:54 PM

Man that's the stuff that gets my heart beating! My car is by no means quick, but its not bad. I was given a 2010 Mazda 3. I don't plan to "rice it out" like that guy in the Rabbit.

Mainly visual upgrades so far. Got a set of H&R springs on the stock struts and a set of generic 5-spokes off of TireRack.com

I've got lots of car friends as well, and joining the car club in my college got me many friends, all of which are mechanical engineers and know what they are doing.

But then I got into computers, and as a result, I got all of my buddies to build computers after I did :) 

Fun hobbies. Can't say I've drank anti-freeze before though.

EDIT: I feel like people like VW's for the same reason people like Nvidia. Its like "OOH GERMAN its awesome." Their 5-cylinder is a piece of garbage imo. They should have put a little more engineering into the 2.0T, but hey by this point its probably cheap to fix.

Generally people with VW's also have the parents to pay to fix them.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 12, 2012 10:09:12 PM

Well lol, I didn't intentionally drink the antifreeze, although that would explain a lot. :lol: 

One time I was pulling a motor in an Integra and I was underneath it and the stuff just got all over me, in my mouth was unavoidable. Another time doing a heater core in a Pontiac Gran Prick,, I mean Prix (that was terribly annoying).

My car is pretty plain, stock exhaust (I hate that lawnmower sound), I do have a cold air intake on it of course, but I've put a K&N on every vehicle I've ever owned, not really for extra HP gains, more for fuel economy and they do pay for themselves after you've owned them a year or two. I took the Type S badge off of it, no spoiler, just black on black. I do have clear Altezza lights on the back, but they only look good on black cars IMHO.



I like the "sleeper car" look, before the Acura I had a 30th Anniversary Mercury Cougar, big grandma looking car with the same V8 engine Mustangs had for that model year.

Quote:
EDIT: I feel like people like VW's for the same reason people like Nvidia. Its like "OOH GERMAN its awesome." Their 5-cylinder is a piece of garbage imo. They should have put a little more engineering into the 2.0T, but hey by this point its probably cheap to fix.


Thats the good thing about how I was raised by my parents. Every kid in the house had to pay for their own cars, my mom and stepdad would co-sign a loan, but paying for it is your deal. My first car was a 94 Geo Slacker, it was hideous, but I loved it. My stepbrother bought his own LT1 Camaro. I wasn't too jealous though, those cars suck to ride in, too much road noise.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 7:26:22 AM

Im am not quite sure if i am willing to build my own computer and not have anyone to fall back on if it messes up. but i am deffinatly looking into it. I know ibuypower has a lanning seriers, are there any others like that? and anyone know how good they are?
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 7:44:09 AM

seviraseth said:
Im am not quite sure if i am willing to build my own computer and not have anyone to fall back on if it messes up. but i am deffinatly looking into it. I know ibuypower has a lanning seriers, are there any others like that? and anyone know how good they are?


You will be fine building your own. Seriously anyone can do it, it's not like once upon a time where you could actually get it wrong nowdays things only fit in certain places.

The guy that said this

Quote:
The real question here is: do you feel comfortable researching and troubleshooting on your own if something goes wrong? You wont have a warranty to fall back on.


Ignore him seriously that quote is amongst the most stupid things I have seen on this site.

Troubleshooting is simple the wondeful internet has made it next to impossible to do something wrong that at least a few thousand other's haven't already done and posted about how to fix.

Every part you buy comes with some form of warranty now in the case of many retail parts that warranty is actually LONGER than if you buy a pre-built. Ok you may not have next day replacement plans (that can cost money on prebuilts) but you do have solid proper warranties from sellers and makers.

Look at some videos on building a PC you will see its really really easy. You can go from boxed parts to finishing off windows updates in under 2 hours. The skill learned will help you throughout life and you will have got a lot more power and quality for your cash than if you order some premade thing.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 8:16:33 AM

So how do i begin when trying to create a lanning computer? the case? then then parts depending on the size of case?
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 8:33:24 AM

seviraseth said:
So how do i begin when trying to create a lanning computer? the case? then then parts depending on the size of case?


Yes now as the case is basically what will define a small form factor computer the best route to take is to find a small form factor case that you like (your budget is good enough that the world is your oyster here)

It will need to be the size range you want and something you find aesthetically pleasing, I would suggest you go to newegg.com and frozencpu.com then filter through the micro-atx cases. If you come up with a handful of cases you like then post them here we can look at them and tell you which we think is likely the best from a practical viewpoint and what hardware we would put inside it.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 10:07:12 AM

I really enjoy that Vulcan case that was mentioned earlier because of the handle. any other suggestions would be great tho.
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 6:12:59 PM

when using the motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard, that was recommended i get a compatability issue that says: ASRock Z77 Professional-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the NZXT Vulcan Black MicroATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.
is this correct? and how would i go about fixing this if so
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 13, 2012 6:23:15 PM

If the case does not have USB 3.0 ports, there are options if you really want USB 3.0 on the front panel. (Although I don't really see the point).

The motherboard has USB 2.0 headers, so you can have the USB 2.0 ports on the front of the Vulcan working.

The simplest method for getting USB 3.0 on the front of the case would be to get a device that fits in one of the 5.25in bays or 3.5 inch bays.

Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Syba-3-5-Inch-Expansion-Reader-SY...
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 6:52:06 PM

So the USB 3.0s are not required in the front?
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 7:05:15 PM

Arguably USB 3.0 is not needed by many people right now (do you own any USB3.0 devices?). Even if you need USB3.0 you have it on the back
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 7:39:16 PM

That is what i thought, but i was not sure. Thank you guys for confirming this

so i went off of what mousseng posted earlier and added a "upgraded" a few things, i have no idea if this is the best for the price i have, im not very expiraianced with these computer arts yet. Please give any reccomendations

CPU Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $319.99 $319.99 @ Amazon

CPU Cooler Enermax ETD-T60-TB 86.7 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 -$20.00 $29.99 @ Newegg


Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $154.99 $154.99 @ Amazon



Memory Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.36 $39.36 @ NCIX US


Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.99 $55.99 @ NCIX US


OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $99.99 -$10.00 $89.99 @ Microcenter

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $379.99 -$20.00 $359.99 @ Newegg

Sound Card Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card $39.99 $7.68 $47.67 @ Newegg

Case NZXT Vulcan Black MicroATX Mid Tower Case $56.99 $12.95 $69.94 @ Mwave

Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $79.99 FREE $79.99 @ Newegg

Optical Drive LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $17.99 $17.99 @ Amazon

Monitor Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor $189.99 -$15.00 $174.99 @ Newegg
-
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $92.11 FREE $92.11 @ Amazon

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kds9
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 7:54:18 PM

If I built that I would

Swap CPU to an i5 3570k - for gaming you dont need an i7 it's a waste of cash spend this extra on a bigger SSD or a massive cigar to go around puffing in peoples faces.

swap the board to something from ASUS or Gigabyte.

Lose the soundcard (unless your a real audiophile you wont need it).

Could be argued a smaller PSU but meh thats a good one and you can afford it.

This cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... though we dont all agree on the liquid cooling I think as this machine will be moved around alot its better than a heavy heatsink hanging off the board.

m
0
l
October 13, 2012 8:24:55 PM

To me that build is a little slice of heaven :) 
m
0
l
October 13, 2012 8:28:46 PM

Thank you so much for your help guys. this is honestly i think going to be really fun and i can wait to start putting stuff together, so glad you convinced me to build my own, i might have some fun and get some colored fans and get this thing looking sexy. thank you guys

If anyone thinks of anything else please let me know, maybe something better for portability or any problems they might foresee
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 12:02:16 AM

I was going to suggest switching the motherboard to the Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 over the ASRock after reading the link that was posted on its VRM, but that ASUS board is hands-down the best mATX board you can get.

The only things I've left to say... Do you have a keyboard/mouse already? And you should definitely get some nice cathodes for the inside of that case.
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 12:30:33 AM

yeah i already have a great mouse just need a half decent key board, was going to look for a orange backlit one to match the cases orange
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 14, 2012 4:11:16 AM

nekulturny said:
Well lol, I didn't intentionally drink the antifreeze, although that would explain a lot. :lol: 

One time I was pulling a motor in an Integra and I was underneath it and the stuff just got all over me, in my mouth was unavoidable. Another time doing a heater core in a Pontiac Gran Prick,, I mean Prix (that was terribly annoying).

My car is pretty plain, stock exhaust (I hate that lawnmower sound), I do have a cold air intake on it of course, but I've put a K&N on every vehicle I've ever owned, not really for extra HP gains, more for fuel economy and they do pay for themselves after you've owned them a year or two. I took the Type S badge off of it, no spoiler, just black on black. I do have clear Altezza lights on the back, but they only look good on black cars IMHO.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qv6rud.jpg

I like the "sleeper car" look, before the Acura I had a 30th Anniversary Mercury Cougar, big grandma looking car with the same V8 engine Mustangs had for that model year.

Quote:
EDIT: I feel like people like VW's for the same reason people like Nvidia. Its like "OOH GERMAN its awesome." Their 5-cylinder is a piece of garbage imo. They should have put a little more engineering into the 2.0T, but hey by this point its probably cheap to fix.


Thats the good thing about how I was raised by my parents. Every kid in the house had to pay for their own cars, my mom and stepdad would co-sign a loan, but paying for it is your deal. My first car was a 94 Geo Slacker, it was hideous, but I loved it. My stepbrother bought his own LT1 Camaro. I wasn't too jealous though, those cars suck to ride in, too much road noise.


I've been gone the past 2 days. Sorry I haven't replied to this yet.

I've actually been trying to get into cars more really like under the hood and stuffs. I'm planning on buying a 65' Mustang for dirt cheap and trying to fix it up. I replaced the springs on my car with some help, but I got the just of it really.

My car is pretty plain as well.

Also, for the OP, have fun trying to find orange stuff to match. I have that case, and finding matching fans sucks, as they're usually really expensive.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 14, 2012 5:17:45 AM

Deemo13 said:
I've been gone the past 2 days. Sorry I haven't replied to this yet.

I've actually been trying to get into cars more really like under the hood and stuffs. I'm planning on buying a 65' Mustang for dirt cheap and trying to fix it up. I replaced the springs on my car with some help, but I got the just of it really.

My car is pretty plain as well.

Also, for the OP, have fun trying to find orange stuff to match. I have that case, and finding matching fans sucks, as they're usually really expensive.

No problem, I'm touch and go myself on the forums anymore with work and school full time.

Best thing to do to learn cars, just have someone who knows what they're doing and work alongside them. You should be careful working with suspension, so if you're lucky you should have someone who knows the risks working with struts and coils to make you aware of them. Loosening the wrong bolt can unwind coil springs real fast with obvious potential ramifications.

Older cars like Mustangs are easy to work on, you don't have all that electronic crap to worry about. I've got an issue myself, last week I hit a shredded truck tire. A blonde moment on my part, I didn't think it was big enough to do any real damage, it cracked my lower bumper, which wasn't bad, it was all cracked up anyway just cus the car is so low to the ground. I got one off ebay for $50. But my idiot light came on, and the engine is running cold, throwing codes for coolant temp sensor, and throttle position sensor. I'm thinking I dinged a wire harness underneath, but I won't have time to tear into it til Tuesday and figure out whats going on. The car has had electrical gremlins since I bought it, nothing major, but the cold running engine is an issue because it adversely affects fuel economy, (engine thinks its cold and needs to warm up so the computer dumps more fuel into the cylinder heads). So I gotta get on that. Probably going to replace the thermostat too, it might be stuck open and merely a coincidence, the car has 94k miles on it, its about due for a replacement.

---

Back to the topic of orange stuff, well if you're into case modding, you could always paint the fans orange with plastic paints. Depends on your skill level and how important it is that everything matches. My Phantom doesn't have a window, so I don't care much how good the parts look inside. My sabertooth board is brown, my video card is black and blue, nothin really matches in there. Before the 7870 I had a Zotac 550 TI (bumblebee yellow and black), that was even worse.

m
0
l
October 15, 2012 7:15:27 AM

With the H80 cooling system, what i have seen alot of people do, from pictures, is put it down on the front bottom of the case like this



to do this they get rid of the i think it is a hard drive cage there at the bottom? when they do this were do they end up putting the hard drives? or should i just get a smaller cooler like the h50?
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 8:34:42 AM

That lower part of the HDD cage is removable, the HDD's fit in the slots above where the H880 is in the photo (you can see 2 of them there). From scouring around looking for photos I think you can also mount the radiator in the roof
m
0
l
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!