Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 GPU Usage Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2012 1:45:15 PM

Quite recently i have noticed that my GPU usage is only at 50% with all my games, it seems the lower fps i get the lower the GPU usage and i know this is not a CPU bottleneck as i have had this system for quite some time and never had any issues until recently

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC edition 2.3GB
4.00 GB DDR2 RAM clocked at 400mhz :( 
SAMSUNG HD752LJ (750GB)
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 1:49:50 PM

Mrmelon22 said:
Quite recently i have noticed that my GPU usage is only at 50% with all my games, it seems the lower fps i get the lower the GPU usage and i know this is not a CPU bottleneck as i have had this system for quite some time and never had any issues until recently

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC edition 2.3GB
4.00 GB DDR2 RAM clocked at 400mhz :( 
SAMSUNG HD752LJ (750GB)

maybe your PSU isn't supplying enough power what psu do u have?
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 1:59:33 PM

in what games do you have this issue?
Related resources
August 19, 2012 3:07:58 PM

maxh22 said:
maybe your PSU isn't supplying enough power what psu do u have?

My PSU is 400w but as i said i have never had issues before
August 19, 2012 3:09:17 PM

crisan_tiberiu said:
in what games do you have this issue?

Saints Row The Third, Skyrim, GTA 4, Mw2, Battlefied 3, Battlefield BC2. Those are all the games i have and those are all the games with the issue
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 3:24:05 PM

well, as it looks the CPU might be bottlenecking :) . What is your CPU ussage?
August 19, 2012 3:28:49 PM

crisan_tiberiu said:
well, as it looks the CPU might be bottlenecking :) . What is your CPU ussage?

Its normally about 50-60 percent when my GPU usage is at 60%
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 3:29:21 PM

When was the last time that you updated your graphics drivers?
August 19, 2012 3:31:43 PM

blazorthon said:
When was the last time that you updated your graphics drivers?

A couple of days ago im on 301.42 and i have tried downgrading with driver sweeper and in safe mode but no difference
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 3:36:35 PM

That is probably your problem then. Driver sweeper and older drivers should have fixed it, depending on which drivers you tried downgrading too. Pre-300 drivers and the latest driver should fix your problem. It looks like a driver issue where the GPU can't hit its rated frequency because it can't enter 3D mode, a known issue with some recent Nvidia drivers since Kepler was released.
August 19, 2012 3:40:16 PM

blazorthon said:
That is probably your problem then. Driver sweeper and older drivers should have fixed it, depending on which drivers you tried downgrading too. Pre-300 drivers and the latest driver should fix your problem. It looks like a driver issue where the GPU can't hit its rated frequency because it can't enter 3D mode, a known issue with some recent Nvidia drivers since Kepler was released.

The oldest driver i have is 270.61 so should i just do driver sweeper again and downgrade to that? Chances are i did something wrong :L
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 3:50:35 PM

It's worth trying.
August 19, 2012 4:16:38 PM

blazorthon said:
It's worth trying.

Nope didnt work, GPU usage still at like 60-70% when SR3 is at 30 FPS
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 4:32:38 PM

Check the per-core CPU performance in games. It might be maxing out one or two cores while the other two are idling which is still a CPU bottle-neck. The driver seems to have helped, but it's not enough.
August 19, 2012 4:43:21 PM

blazorthon said:
Check the per-core CPU performance in games. It might be maxing out one or two cores while the other two are idling which is still a CPU bottle-neck. The driver seems to have helped, but it's not enough.

None of the cores are idle and none are maxed they are all practically the same one is 80 one is 72 one is 70 and one is 75
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 4:51:07 PM

If your board is good, you could try overclocking to about 3GHz and see if there is a consistent improvement in benchmarks just to be sure. Sometimes a CPU is a bottle-neck, but it doesn't get maxed out even in per-core usage. Your computer might simply be getting bloated over time and re-installing Windows might help to clean it up if you're willing to attempt more drastic action, but testing some minor overclocking will put this theory to the test with much less drastic action. Of course, I might just be missing something stupid, but this will at least provide some closure on the CPU bottle-neck theory.
August 19, 2012 5:03:30 PM

blazorthon said:
If your board is good, you could try overclocking to about 3GHz and see if there is a consistent improvement in benchmarks just to be sure. Sometimes a CPU is a bottle-neck, but it doesn't get maxed out even in per-core usage. Your computer might simply be getting bloated over time and re-installing Windows might help to clean it up if you're willing to attempt more drastic action, but testing some minor overclocking will put this theory to the test with much less drastic action. Of course, I might just be missing something stupid, but this will at least provide some closure on the CPU bottle-neck theory.

I ran the nvidia heaven benchmark and my GPU usage was 99% the whole time plus keep in mind i have had this setup for ages and have never noticed any serious lag in my games of which i have now. My motherboard does not allow me to overclock my CPU.
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 5:15:37 PM

Benchmarks like that are good at ignoring the CPU and how long you've had this setup is exactly my point. It may have gotten bloated over the years (Windows usually does) and that's starting to show up. You might even have a malware problem.
August 19, 2012 7:33:44 PM

blazorthon said:
Benchmarks like that are good at ignoring the CPU and how long you've had this setup is exactly my point. It may have gotten bloated over the years (Windows usually does) and that's starting to show up. You might even have a malware problem.

Just finished reinstalling windows, i made sure i wiped everything then installed SR3 and msi afterburner aaaaaaaaaaand nothing has changed
August 19, 2012 7:37:55 PM

But on skyrim the GPU usage is now mostly 99% so i guess it helped
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 7:40:50 PM

That's odd. Maybe there is a different problem if you are still experiencing issues. What temps are you getting and how do you think that they compare to temps that you had before this problems occurred? Are they higher, lower, or about the same?
August 19, 2012 7:57:51 PM

blazorthon said:
That's odd. Maybe there is a different problem if you are still experiencing issues. What temps are you getting and how do you think that they compare to temps that you had before this problems occurred? Are they higher, lower, or about the same?

My GPU temp ingame is 52 and has not changed since i reinstalled, and it seems on skyrim my GPU usage is 60-70% again
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 8:05:35 PM

Mrmelon22 said:
My GPU temp ingame is 52 and has not changed since i reinstalled, and it seems on skyrim my GPU usage is 60-70% again

Have you tried checking if hardware acceleration is enabled and if so, disabling it?
August 19, 2012 8:17:49 PM

blazorthon said:
Have you tried checking if hardware acceleration is enabled and if so, disabling it?

Where do i check that?
August 19, 2012 8:45:33 PM

When i tried to do this in safe mode it said something along the lines of it cannot make the changes to the registry
August 19, 2012 8:55:38 PM

^ It was the new settings could not be saved to the registry
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 8:55:50 PM

Now that might be a clue as to the exact problem that you're having. If I only knew what to take from it, then we might we able to fix this, but I don't know what to do at this point. Sorry.
August 19, 2012 11:10:02 PM

blazorthon said:
Now that might be a clue as to the exact problem that you're having. If I only knew what to take from it, then we might we able to fix this, but I don't know what to do at this point. Sorry.

Damn.... any other ideas to what it might be?
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:00:21 AM

Other than give a small overclock a try just to be absolutely sure that the CPU isn't causing problems, I'm out of ideas right now.
August 20, 2012 2:14:01 AM

blazorthon said:
Other than give a small overclock a try just to be absolutely sure that the CPU isn't causing problems, I'm out o ideas right now.

Fair enough, cheers for all the help :D , im just gonna upgrade motherboard ram and cpu then
a c 87 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:03:12 AM

Sorry that I wasn't more helpful.
!