AMD FX 6100 HOW MANY CORE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subairijas

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
MY RIG

msi 970a-g46 on amd fx 6100 with windows 8. i know fx 6100 have six core . http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-6100.html , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5257136&SID=ShopAMD .but task manager of windows 8 showing 3 cores and 6 logical processor. now i am got confused about cores of amd fx 6100. what is it meaning?

i am looking detailed answer from expert person

see here for task manager picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution

AMD usually sells their chips at a low price and performance is usually a little behind Intel.

They do it for sales not because they are reducing components inside the chip. Bulldozer actually has more transistors than an I7 last I cared to look.

AMD has just adopted the module/core loadout with Bulldozer and they traditionally had regular cores and have almost always sold much cheaper than Intel.

moulderhere

Distinguished
Turbo frequency is enabled and thus it turns off cores to get 3900 MHZ. It is all in the cpu world you posted.

Turbo frequency 3600 MHz (more than 3 cores)
3900 MHz (3 cores or less)

Disabling turbo should fix all your problems.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

AMD with their new bulldozer design, has their own version of hyper-threading with the FX series. AMD has said, that they designed it that way to increase performance without adding more cores.

That is not correct. The issue here is simply how Windows chooses to see the physical resources on the CPU. Each Bulldozer module is defined as a core, which can handle two threads. But in many respects, each Bulldozer module has the resources of two cores.

The FX-6100 is a hybrid between a 6-core and a 3-core processor, but closer to the former than the latter.

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
That is correct.

Windows sees 3 cores as physical and sees the secondary cores as logical processors(virtual cores).

FX series processors actually have modules, with 2 cores each that share resources, resources are divided based on whether you're running single or multi threaded applications. Windows sees the modules as cores. If you want all your 6 cores disable Turbo boost in your BIOS.

Exactly.

subairijas

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

Dear thanks for you and others valuable replay,

i think not true 6 physical core than compare to Intel CPU . may be that's why amd CPU cheaper than other CPU like Intel etc... they are reducing physical components inside the chip , try to sell cheaper rate... (that's my thought & opinion ,any one agree that?)

Not really. AMD offers 4- and 6-core CPUs at prices similar to Intel's dual-core CPUs.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008

AMD usually sells their chips at a low price and performance is usually a little behind Intel.

They do it for sales not because they are reducing components inside the chip. Bulldozer actually has more transistors than an I7 last I cared to look.

AMD has just adopted the module/core loadout with Bulldozer and they traditionally had regular cores and have almost always sold much cheaper than Intel.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.