Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor stays asleep

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2012 5:04:23 AM

Hello,

so i have a desktop computer. It is an older version. Like early 2000. Before i had it it belonged to my mom and she got it from someone who was selling her store. Anyways blah blah blah. Don't wanna be boring. So recently we moved. My Mom had given me her old computer cause my hard drive or some cable burned out. And would not reboot. It seems that this one is doing the same but with a Different Experience. The /hard drive clicks a few times then it starts up fine. But However my monitor never turns on. Its connected properly. I tried it with another laptop. You know the old hook up deal. Monitor worked fine but when its connected to the hard drive. It just never turns on. Its on but stays asleep. I will attend to hear a sound letting me know its logged on to the screen but i cannot see it. Its just in sleep mode. Do i have another bad hard drive? Cause when i 1st got it and turned it on. It was fine for a few days. All i can remember doing to it was cleaning and removing compress files of my computer. for more space and less cause of a virus. And sprayed hot shot (A bug killer) All over my room. And i cannot go to my bios so please don't give me that option to go to it and change my settings. Not until i can break it through. Thank you. Please help. I don't wanna end up replacing 2 hard drives. One is bad enough. Oh here is my tip on computers if you looking to buy a new one.

TIP: NEVER GET A TOSHIBA BAD HARD DRIVES! MINE WENT THROUGH FIVE CHARGERS!
Thank you.
-Laura Moser.

More about : monitor stays asleep

October 17, 2012 2:54:27 PM

I don't think this problem belongs to your HDD ... it would still show the display without the HDD .. open the case .. detach the HDD cable .. check for the display .. if it doesn't comes .. you probably have another component not working then .
October 24, 2012 12:05:36 AM

Thank you. Yea I searched up clicking sounds of the hard disk drive. It wasn't good. So how do I detach the HDD.?
Related resources
October 24, 2012 5:18:50 AM

open the case .. just firmly unplug the two cables from the HDD (one is your sata another is for the power). you're done :)  now replace the HDD with another
October 26, 2012 1:01:33 AM

Thank you!!! Its back on. Sadly I lost connection with my phone and computer. My mass storage or ADB isn't showing up so looks like I cmgotta reinstall it. I hope I never have that problem with my computer agaain. And what does it mean when the hard drive makes a clicking noise?? Its not right now but it was before.
October 26, 2012 7:32:32 AM

basically those noise are because of bad sector , Head crash or any other mechanical fault ....typically when the Head attempts to read physically damaged area and fails it make clicking sound ....

PS: Maybe your HDD is heavily fragmented which case the head to spin over and over the area which might cause the clicking sound , try de-fragmentation ..hope that helps
October 26, 2012 6:12:48 PM

I thank you so much. And one last thing. So I have this Toshiba. Laptop. It was doing fine then one day I got a media test failure check cable error. My laptop has been like that this past year. Over time its gotten very sick with bad viruses. I have a blue screen. It killed four chargers and I'm on my 5th. One. Cause of that my mom refuses to go to best buy. Cause that's were she spent all her. Money trying to get mine fixed. I love my Toshiba. But. Cause of its sickness would never touch another one. Is it just a bad hard drive? Is that why my laptop got sick so many times?

Best solution

October 27, 2012 4:46:31 AM

Welcome mate . Media errors are either caused by bad CMOS or Bad booting device perhaps your hard disk . you make sure your boot options are in proper manner , don't let boot from Lan , disable it , if that doesn't help re-set your bios settings to default and save and reboot ...also My suggestion is you format your PC once and this time keep defragmenting your hard disk ..that should help

and as far as Toshiba is concerned .. I personally don't like the brand .but doesn't means it bad ..but their quality isn't as good as compared to others
October 27, 2012 5:38:51 AM

I triedgoing to my settings. I don't have cmos I have bios only. And it reads that there is no hard disk.
October 27, 2012 5:50:18 AM

So. I disabled built in lan. The error went away. Now all I get is an. " operating system not found "
October 28, 2012 9:41:49 PM

2784723,8,1425323 said:
Welcome mate . Media errors are either caused by bad CMOS or Bad booting device perhaps your hard disk . you make sure your boot options are in proper manner , don't let boot from Lan , disable it , if that doesn't help re-set your bios settings to default and save and reboot ...also My suggestion is you format your PC once and this time keep defragmenting your hard disk ..that should help

and as far as Toshiba is concerned .. I personally don't like the brand .but doesn't means it bad ..but their quality isn't as

So... I opended up the back of my laptop as if it were my only option. O I was surprised to find dust in my hard drive cause the fan is always moving. Hoe wheni get it cleaned out. It will fix my problem. Do u think that is why my bios wont read my hard drive? Cause it still runs and it isn't making any weird noises.
October 29, 2012 10:09:33 AM

So now when all your problems are done .. I think you should close this thread ...please select a best answer :D 
November 5, 2012 3:14:04 AM

Best answer selected by butterfly17.
November 5, 2012 3:19:37 AM

Looks like I have to face my fear and take it to. Best buy again. I couldn't fully open my laptop. Although I've tried reaching in there and getting some dust out of my hard drive so I closed it back up now its jyst a black screen but it works in the back ground I still hear that annoying beep when I press on the keys. And when I tried pooping the back open where the battery was token out. I bent a little medal thing now I can't put my battery back in. Ugh my laptop is a mess! Hope best buy will fix it.
!