Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Connecting router to router ? - Adding more internet ports.

Last response: in Networking
Share
October 4, 2011 5:47:12 PM

Hey all,
We have shared internet between 5 people in the house using a netgear 150 router. However, the router itself only has 4 ports so we need to find a way of adding another. The basic set up is this, your cable from the router goes into a box assigned by your room number. There is then an ethernet port in your room and you connect it that way instead of using 50m cables.

Currently the only thing we have tried is connecting another Netgear router by removing one of the used ports and placing an ethernet in one of those ports to the new router. No luck with that though, on the networking screen it recognises 'network' but has a red X on internet.

thanks
October 4, 2011 6:37:59 PM

H4837Gti said:
Hey all,
We have shared internet between 5 people in the house using a netgear 150 router. However, the router itself only has 4 ports so we need to find a way of adding another. The basic set up is this, your cable from the router goes into a box assigned by your room number. There is then an ethernet port in your room and you connect it that way instead of using 50m cables.

Currently the only thing we have tried is connecting another Netgear router by removing one of the used ports and placing an ethernet in one of those ports to the new router. No luck with that though, on the networking screen it recognises 'network' but has a red X on internet.

thanks


You need a switch, not another router. A switch plugged into one of the 4 Lan ports will then give you more Lan ports. You said you have a netgear 150 router - I'll assume it is the older NetGear RangeMax 150 (model WNR1000). You would want something like netgear FS105 or FS108 (these are cheaper 10/100 switches) or if your PC support Gigabit, then you might consider the gigabit switches GS105 or GS108. Google these for more info.
October 4, 2011 11:30:03 PM

occdavid said:
You need a switch, not another router. A switch plugged into one of the 4 Lan ports will then give you more Lan ports. You said you have a netgear 150 router - I'll assume it is the older NetGear RangeMax 150 (model WNR1000). You would want something like netgear FS105 or FS108 (these are cheaper 10/100 switches) or if your PC support Gigabit, then you might consider the gigabit switches GS105 or GS108. Google these for more info.

Sorry forgot to mention the model, it's a Netgear 150 DGN1000. Would you still recommend the FS105 & FS108?
Related resources
October 5, 2011 6:35:20 PM

H4837Gti said:
Sorry forgot to mention the model, it's a Netgear 150 DGN1000. Would you still recommend the FS105 & FS108?


Well, the lan ports on your router are only 10/100, but if you are wanting to moved data between PC's/devices on your network and they support 10/100/1000(gigabit), then you might consider a gigabit switch. You would run a network patch cable from your router to the switch and then patch cables from the new switch to all your PC's devices. Might come in handy if you ever add a shared network storage device like a NAS. Then it just epends on how many ports you want... 5, 8, 16, 24, 48? They come in all sizes and speeds. I've used the basic netgear's and D-link's 5 and 8 port switches. But I normaly go for the gigabit 10/100/1000 switches as most of the PC's I deal with have gigabit network cards in them. It is only a few more $'s for these 8 port gigabit switches. - or you could try and find a used 16+ port one on ebay and have lots of room to expand.
Really depends on how your home is wired... - it also depends on what kind of network wires are ran in the walls. If they didn't use Cat5e or higher then you would have problems with getting gigabit speeds on anything less.
October 5, 2011 8:55:49 PM

occdavid said:
Well, the lan ports on your router are only 10/100, but if you are wanting to moved data between PC's/devices on your network and they support 10/100/1000(gigabit), then you might consider a gigabit switch. You would run a network patch cable from your router to the switch and then patch cables from the new switch to all your PC's devices. Might come in handy if you ever add a shared network storage device like a NAS. Then it just epends on how many ports you want... 5, 8, 16, 24, 48? They come in all sizes and speeds. I've used the basic netgear's and D-link's 5 and 8 port switches. But I normaly go for the gigabit 10/100/1000 switches as most of the PC's I deal with have gigabit network cards in them. It is only a few more $'s for these 8 port gigabit switches. - or you could try and find a used 16+ port one on ebay and have lots of room to expand.
Really depends on how your home is wired... - it also depends on what kind of network wires are ran in the walls. If they didn't use Cat5e or higher then you would have problems with getting gigabit speeds on anything less.


Thanks very much for the replies, I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out.
!