canon eos 20d

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
October 29, 2004 2:42:47 AM

Hi!

I was thinking about buying the Canon EOS 20d. Anyone knows anything about
that? Is it good value for the money? (it's a lot of money...)

Would it be possible to use a 75-300 lens in max zoom without a tripod? I've
read about that such a lens should correspond to about 450, and that may be
a problem with normal shutter speed. Correct?

Thanks,
Stefan

More about : canon eos 20d

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:42:48 AM

There is a TON of information about the 20D on the web. If you do a Google
search for the camera you will get more information than you can handle.

It is possible to use a 75-300 lense without a tripod, but my policy is to
use a tripod as much as possible. What is possible and what is smart is not
always the same thing. It is very difficult to hand hold long lenses
without degrading the image. How many of those photographers on the
sidelines of sporting events are using those lenses without at least a
monopod? Long lenses need steady support for sharp images. If you could
keep the shutter speed above 1/500 you minimize the blurring at the 300 end,
but for anything that long (especially when you add in the crop factor of
most DSLRs) you should plan on using a tripod.

lc

"Stefan" <s4072012@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I was thinking about buying the Canon EOS 20d. Anyone knows anything about
> that? Is it good value for the money? (it's a lot of money...)
>
> Would it be possible to use a 75-300 lens in max zoom without a tripod?
I've
> read about that such a lens should correspond to about 450, and that may
be
> a problem with normal shutter speed. Correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:42:48 AM

"Stefan" <s4072012@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> Would it be possible to use a 75-300 lens in max zoom without a tripod?
I've
> read about that such a lens should correspond to about 450, and that may
be
> a problem with normal shutter speed. Correct?

It depends how steady *you* can hold the camera, and how large you want to
view the images.
Bumping up the ISO to 800 should get you enough shutter speed to get away
with it in normal light conditions.
If it's the canon 75-300 lens you're talking about it won't really matter so
much because it's not a sharp lens anyway.

--
Colm
October 29, 2004 7:24:41 AM

Kibo informs me that "Stefan" <s4072012@student.uq.edu.au> stated that:

>Hi!
>
>I was thinking about buying the Canon EOS 20d. Anyone knows anything about
>that? Is it good value for the money? (it's a lot of money...)

It's spectacularly good value for money. If I didn't already own a 10D,
I'd buy one myself.

>Would it be possible to use a 75-300 lens in max zoom without a tripod?

That'd depend on the other settings you need for the shot.

> I've
>read about that such a lens should correspond to about 450, and that may be
>a problem with normal shutter speed. Correct?

Probably not, but it's totally dependant on what you're trying to shoot,
& what the lighting is like. For example, if you're shooting at F8,
450mm (effective), ISO 400 on a bright day, you will most likely be able
to use a shutter speed fast enough that shake won't be a problem.
In general, as long as you're shooting with a shutter speed higher than
the effective FL in mm, handheld will be okay. For your 75-300 lens, you
should be trying for at least 1/500th to minimise camera-shake.

October 29, 2004 7:33:30 AM

Kibo informs me that "L.C." <l.w.cooper@sasktel.net> stated that:

>It is possible to use a 75-300 lense without a tripod, but my policy is to
>use a tripod as much as possible. What is possible and what is smart is not
>always the same thing. It is very difficult to hand hold long lenses
>without degrading the image.

I've shot handheld many times with my 10D & my ancient EF
100-300mm/F5.6L (480mm effective) zoom, & get acceptable results at
anything faster than 1/500. The lower I go from there, the more shots I
lose to camera shake, but it's not an unusable combination.

> How many of those photographers on the
>sidelines of sporting events are using those lenses without at least a
>monopod?

True, but those guys are usually shooting with lenses *much* longer &
heavier than a consumer EF 75-300. Plus, they're shooting for hours,
which really tires out your arms (resulting in much more shake) if you
don't use some sort of support.
That said, I completely agree that it's preferable to use some sort of
support if it's at all feasible.

October 31, 2004 6:42:43 PM

"Stefan" <s4072012@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I was thinking about buying the Canon EOS 20d. Anyone knows anything about
> that? Is it good value for the money? (it's a lot of money...)
>
> Would it be possible to use a 75-300 lens in max zoom without a tripod?
I've
> read about that such a lens should correspond to about 450, and that may
be
> a problem with normal shutter speed. Correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

In sunny sixteen territory, at an effective focal length of 450mm, I would
shoot, handheld, at f/5.6 at 1/750 to 1/1000, depending on my meter. I
wouldn't chance it any slower, but you might have steadier hands than I.
I don't know what the sharpness factor is with that lens. So you could
shoot at F/8 at 1/500, and see how it goes.

Patrick
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 4:13:32 PM

I think the answer is: I can and have, with fairly good to great results,
but can you? You need to think about what you are doing, use available
rests, and all the other things that go with it. Are you shooting: sports,
landscapes, inside caves; it depends on how you use it. But to be fair, I
would shot short and crop! my cannon 300 got used very little compared to my
200. A! and 10D
Jim