Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for upgrades.

Last response: in Components
February 24, 2013 5:02:36 PM

So I was looking to add some new upgrades to my current system.

Here is the one I'm using now:

Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE
Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1gb
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 60gb

Im already looking to get a new psu because I know the one I have now isn't enough (bought it at fry's and I forgot the name). I also wanted to upgrade my graphics card too, maybe to a Radeon HD 7870. I really want to overclock my cpu as well so I was looking into buying a liquid cpu cooler.

If there is anything else you think is worth upgrading please let me know. :) 

More about : upgrades

Best solution

February 25, 2013 6:49:09 AM

if you are going to get the 7870, go for the powercolor one, it's basically a tahiti board (7970) just trimmed slightly (a shed load better than any other 7870!). also, what verion of windows 7 are you running (i.e. is it 32 or 64 bit)? if you are running a 32 bit edition, i would definitely recommend going to a 64 bit version so that you have full use of your RAM.

when buying a PSU, just make sureyou go for a reputable name and that it is at least Bronze (80+) certified for efficiency.

depending on the level of OC you are looking to get, an air cooler should suit your needs for the most part, not that i am not a fan of AIO watercoolers (i have one), but it will probably be overkill for you and therefore a bit of a waste of money.
February 25, 2013 9:05:42 PM

phate1337 said:
if you are going to get the 7870, go for the powercolor one, it's basically a tahiti board (7970) just trimmed slightly (a shed load better than any other 7870!). also, what verion of windows 7 are you running (i.e. is it 32 or 64 bit)? if you are running a 32 bit edition, i would definitely recommend going to a 64 bit version so that you have full use of your RAM.

when buying a PSU, just make sureyou go for a reputable name and that it is at least Bronze (80+) certified for efficiency.

depending on the level of OC you are looking to get, an air cooler should suit your needs for the most part, not that i am not a fan of AIO watercoolers (i have one), but it will probably be overkill for you and therefore a bit of a waste of money.

Thanks for the response,
Well I was looking to OC my cpu to more than 4ghz. My OS is 64 bit so there should be no problems there. I have a seasonic 620w 80+ bronze rated psu I was looking at too. Also the main reason I wanted a liquid cooler is because I don't Like the cramped look of an AM cpu fan. Lastly, what is the price of the powercoler card, I'm very intrigued.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 9:35:13 PM

What you want is a 7870 LE and its a cut down 7950 which is a cut down 7970
m
l
February 25, 2013 11:01:20 PM

Best answer selected by KryptoKnight19.
m
l
!