Sign in with
Your question

Need CPU advice

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2013 5:18:50 PM

Hello, Im just trying to get a bit of advice for buying a new cpu suited to my pc.

My PC specs atm are as follows

Mother Board, AsusTek - Model P5GD1-VM
Intel Pent 4, CPU 3.00Ghz socket 775LGA / Core 1 Threads 2. (i915p/i915g)
4GBRAM with Nvidia 9800GTX / Graphics interface is PCI express.

The game im actually having difficulty with is Dayz, it just runs like crap and so do most other newer games
Im just a bit worried if I go and buy something and its not the right kind for my mobo.

Im looking for advice on what chip to buy with the mobo I have or, is it best that I put funds into buying a complete new PC.

I used CPU-Z to get the info you see before you, it displays only 1 core but on my device manager I can see two chips... im so confused any advice would be great.

Thanks.

ps: I know people with worse specs than mine but they can handle dayz just fine, I do how ever have a very cheap ass power supply bought from pc world for £30 and Im sure its 400W, could this be related to my fps issues in game.

More about : cpu advice

February 24, 2013 5:32:06 PM

soulofdeath said:
Hello, Im just trying to get a bit of advice for buying a new cpu suited to my pc.

My PC specs atm are as follows

Mother Board, AsusTek - Model P5GD1-VM
Intel Pent 4, CPU 3.00Ghz socket 775LGA / Core 1 Threads 2. (i915p/i915g)
4GBRAM with Nvidia 9800GTX / Graphics interface is PCI express.

The game im actually having difficulty with is Dayz, it just runs like crap and so do most other newer games
Im just a bit worried if I go and buy something and its not the right kind for my mobo.

Im looking for advice on what chip to buy with the mobo I have or, is it best that I put funds into buying a complete new PC.

I used CPU-Z to get the info you see before you, it displays only 1 core but on my device manager I can see two chips... im so confused any advice would be great.

Thanks.

ps: I know people with worse specs than mine but they can handle dayz just fine, I do how ever have a very cheap ass power supply bought from pc world for £30 and Im sure its 400W, could this be related to my fps issues in game.

The power supply does not have problem with the FPS issues. Yes, it is time for an upgrade if you want to play any newer games, and it all depends on what your budget is for the build. It is not worth the money to spend any money to upgrade to a faster P4.
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:52:50 PM

My budget is pretty low actually, I was thinking about buying a second hand CPU from ebay as right now I cant afford to buy one straight from the shop. Still looking for advice on exactly what CPU I should get for the mobo that I have.

Or does it not matter what CPU i get as long as its socket 775LGA ?
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 6:16:25 PM

i think youd be better off getting a new mobo and cpu, amd is pretty affordable these days, what is your budget?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 6:32:06 PM

"ps: I know people with worse specs than mine but they can handle dayz just fine, I do how ever have a very cheap ass power supply bought from pc world for £30 and Im sure its 400W, could this be related to my fps issues in game."

i doubt that, that game is poorly optimized, and needs decent hardware to run. the highest you could go would be another pentium4. an upgrade on a system this old would be a waste of money, considering a new mb/cpu/ram combo could be had for around $150.
m
l
November 27, 2013 4:00:36 PM

PSU will not affect your FPS in a game... Part of your problem is the graphics card is getting to be a little out dated (Had the 9800, replaced it a couple weeks ago so I could play the new games).
m
l
!