HELP!! Instaling a new harddrive

My dell laptop managed to have its mother board get fried a couple of weeks ago. Now i am trying to get all my files off of my last hard drive without having to pay. So i am taking my ssd hardrive from my dell laptop and and putting it into my old HP desktop. My dell harddrive ran windows 7 on it while the hp harddrive is running windows xp (dont know if that matters) So i managed to do a straight switch and took all the wires and plugged them straight into my ssd from my dell laptop. Everything seemed to work fine until i got to the windows 7 menu where it says loading windows 7. It freezes and reboots my computer... WHAT AM I MISSING?!?! would really appreciate help ASAP thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about help instaling harddrive
  1. this is probably wrong but have you tried installing windows 7 on your ssd? and is your old hard drive plugged into your pc as well?
  2. go into your bios and set the old hdd as the boot drive and access the ssd files from it.
  3. The SSD won't boot windows 7 on the old desktop computer because it doesn't have the drivers for it.

You should put the SSD as a 2nd drive in the desktop. Let it boot Windows XP normally off the HP drive.
  4. So in order to get the information off of my SSD what must i do? Since the desktop dosent have the required drivers. All i want is to grab all my files from it.
  5. Also FYI the desktop looks like it only has enough wires to support the one harddrive
  6. make sure that the hard drive from your laptop is not set to boot from, its should be fine to explore it in windows as long as it is not set to boot from
  7. mgsfreak said:
    make sure that the hard drive from your laptop is not set to boot from, its should be fine to explore it in windows as long as it is not set to boot from

I am unable to access my boot bios. Its an HP pavilion and am having many troubles trying to find the boot bios
  8. right lol make sure
    1. you have ur desktop hard drive AS WELL AS the laptop hard drive plugged in
    2.you turn on your computer and keep pressing either del or f10 to enter bios
    3. make sure the boot order is set so that u DO NOT boot from your laptop harddrive first
    4. computer should work normally and you can browse files in the laptop hardrive
  9. mgsfreak said:
    right lol make sure
    1. you have ur desktop hard drive AS WELL AS the laptop hard drive plugged in
    2.you turn on your computer and keep pressing either del or f10 to enter bios
    3. make sure the boot order is set so that u DO NOT boot from your laptop harddrive first
    4. computer should work normally and you can browse files in the laptop hardrive

Ya which brings us to our next dilemma i have been doing this but the desktop only has enough wires to support the one hard drive. Unless i am missing something
  10. Ya which brings us to our next dilemma i have been doing this but the desktop only has enough wires to support the one hard drive. Unless i am missing something[/quotemsg

you need both of them in, u need another sata cable, and ur psu should have power connectors that look like the one going into ur hard drive and disk drive.

the sata cable plugs into the motherboard, like the others from ur hard drive and disk drive
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Windows 7 Hard Drives Dell