Asus P8z68 Power Cycling

Oct 12, 2012
First of all - best forum ever. Have used this off and on over the years for all kinds of things.... Thanks to all who make it what it is.

Here is my build:

Asus P8z68
i5 3570k
Corsair Vengeance 1600c9 8GB (2x4)
EVGA 570
XFX 650W (core)

Problem: New Build power cycles continuously (starting up, memory light and CPU light flash then restarts), but has gotten to Windows occasionally (2-3 times) but crashed due to hardware failure (think due to OEM W7). After crash, if power down everything... it starts power cycling and cannot get to Windows for a looong time.

Story so far - what I have tried:

When I first put this all together, it would power-cyle endlessly. So, I followed an excellent link on the forum, and took out everything, I can't bread-board...don't have the equipment for that. So, I just had CPU & PSU. I could get to the BIOS no problem. So I concluded that my CPU is fine, and PSU as well.

When I added the RAM it would just cycle endlessly, so I figured that I needed to get some RAM from a qualified vendor, which I did - this is my new Corsair Vengeance RAM.

When I installed the new RAM, it would still power cycle but eventually it would kick in and get to BIOS with a sound telling me I need a VGA.

I then added the my EVGA and it would cycle but eventually boot up to BIOS. I tried an old GT430 to see if that worked - same result. Power cycling but eventual boost to BIOS.

I then added everything.... and it would get to Windows, then Blue screen of death. Tried repairing, but no joy. I think this is because I had an OEM copy of Windows 7 - curse online chinese cheap windows keys (#fail).

Once it gets into the cycle of booting to Windows, and then crashing, it will keep rebooting ad infinitum without any issues. BUT then, if I turn it off and drain the power, it will cycle and cycle and cycle and.. well you get the picture. In fact it has been cycling for 20 minutes now and I have changed NOTHING.

I have seen that for z68 the bios might not be up to date enough for the 3750k... but if that is the case, why the hell will it get to Bios, but then other times not.

Oh, i forgot to mention, at first it was telling me (after several power cycles) that OC failed. I turned off TPU and EPU and that solved that issue, but did not stop it from power cycling.

It's been over a week now of fiddling with this thing.... and it is getting a bit demoralising. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 12, 2012
Ok - so update. I have taken everything out again to start from scratch.

(1) CPU + PSU = starts up no problem, gives the right beeps for no RAM.

(2) CPU + PSU + RAM = power cycling. So it must be the RAM. This makes no sense as I bought it from the Qualified Vendor List... the exact model number and pairing.

Any idea how I can solve this?