Sign in with
Your question
Solved

**DIFFICULT** Home Server/Networking Solution

Last response: in Networking
October 4, 2011 11:04:55 PM

I have a very big project I would love to be able to accomplish...with your help of course :) 

I would like to setup a single PC or even a server in the basement and be able to connect from remote locations in the house (wait for it...)....without individual PCs at the remote locations. In essence I would like a monitor, keyboard, and mouse at each remote location and be able to log into the main PC in the basement.

I want to be able to log in from the office, bedroom, living room, kitchen, etc. without the need for several computers. All the video would flow throughout the house via CAT5/6 and I would use a Wireless N network for data/internet. Where I run into problems is how to connect a keyboard and mouse at each location.

I only need one location to be active at a time (one user), but if you have any ideas for 3-4 simultaneous locations/users I would love to hear about it too! Again, the big issue is that I DO NOT want 6 PCs in the house, only 1.

Thank you!
October 4, 2011 11:32:11 PM

The only thing I could think of is a wireless VGA connector. Though from what I've seen that's only one display, plus then you'd have to get a separate device for the keyboard and mouse.

Any option would cost quite a bit per room, an alternative would be to get a cheap tablet PC instead of a desktop.
m
l

Best solution

October 5, 2011 2:28:39 AM

Your talking a networked KVM solution with remote networked terminals. You will have the master KVM in the basement hooked to your server and connected to the network. Then at each home location you'd have one of the smaller KVM box's connected to the console displays. Each KVM box would also be networked, I highly suggest not going wireless as that would destroy the consistency of your connection.

None of this is cheap, in fact it's going to get ridiculously expensive. Typically you'll have a dozen servers hooked to the KVM for remote management.

We use this solution in our data-center for out-of-band management as the KVM's are all connected to the management VLAN's which are separate from the production network. Its bonus is that it's system agnostic, we can manage SUN Solaris systems just as easily as Dell NT systems.

Honestly, what you want to do isn't yet ready for the consumer market. I wanted a similar setup in my home but with the capability of having multiple terminals active at once. Wasn't going to happen for the price I was willing to pay.
Related resources
October 6, 2011 3:49:14 PM

Thank you! I was planning on doing HDMI over CAT5/6 so the video would be on it's own dedicated line. My only hangup was the keyboard/mouse setup. I thought about Networked KVM, but you are right, the cost is ridiculous. I was hoping there might be another way that I was unaware of.

I have since thought about installing Windows Server for desktop virtualization and installing cheap mini-ITX PCs in each room. I will need to research this option more.

Thanks again :) 
m
l
October 7, 2011 1:35:28 AM

snwboarder159 said:
Thank you! I was planning on doing HDMI over CAT5/6 so the video would be on it's own dedicated line. My only hangup was the keyboard/mouse setup. I thought about Networked KVM, but you are right, the cost is ridiculous. I was hoping there might be another way that I was unaware of.

I have since thought about installing Windows Server for desktop virtualization and installing cheap mini-ITX PCs in each room. I will need to research this option more.

Thanks again :) 

I would suggest you not try to put a HDMI signal over STP wiring. It might work for extremely short distances but it'll crap out if you go any longer then 15 feet. Analog VGA would be a better idea.
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:40:55 PM

Palladin9479,

That may be true if you are using a simple HDMI to CAT5/6 converter plate, but if you use the proper equipment then the signal can travel 150-200ft max. Basically you need transmitters/extenders to accomplish this, but it is possible.
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:41:08 PM

Palladin9479,

That may be true if you are using a simple HDMI to CAT5/6 converter plate, but if you use the proper equipment then the signal can travel 150-200ft max. Basically you need transmitters/extenders to accomplish this, but it is possible.
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:44:39 PM

Best answer selected by snwboarder159.
m
l
!