Dust On Sensor Problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
October 29, 2004 2:30:27 AM

Hi all,

This seems to be a problem common to all the SLRs - dust on the sensor system.

I'm about to send in my Nikon D1x for a cleaning, part of a 3 yr warranty so
I'll at least get the work done free, if not the shipping.

The question is - Is there a good solution on the horizon for this problem?
The manuals all advise the owner not to mess with this task, and to let the
pros do it. Fine, but the pros are in NYC and its a 3 week turnaround, with
this company, and much better than the 7 weeks that the Ritz Camera Store guy
mentioned to do the same thing. It would be a real convenience if the mfg
solved this problem, or even an aftermarket whiz-kid solved it. A shield that
would be easily changeable? An automatic cleaning mechanism? Anybody hear of
anything in the works, or on the market?

Dave Head

More about : dust sensor problem

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 9:22:51 PM

Dave Head <rally2xs@att.net> wrote:
> This seems to be a problem common to all the SLRs - dust on the sensor system.

> I'm about to send in my Nikon D1x for a cleaning, part of a 3 yr warranty so
> I'll at least get the work done free, if not the shipping.

> The question is - Is there a good solution on the horizon for this problem?
> The manuals all advise the owner not to mess with this task, and to let the
> pros do it. Fine, but the pros are in NYC and its a 3 week turnaround, with
> this company, and much better than the 7 weeks that the Ritz Camera Store guy
> mentioned to do the same thing.

Lots of people do it themselves these days. The kits are available,
and not terribly expensive. Personally, I just take my D1x into the
shop and they clean the sensor while I wait: it only takes them a few
minutes. Not a biggie.

> It would be a real convenience if the mfg solved this problem, or
> even an aftermarket whiz-kid solved it. A shield that would be
> easily changeable? An automatic cleaning mechanism? Anybody hear
> of anything in the works, or on the market?

Sigma have a transparent shield at the front of the mirror box.
Olympus have the "Supersonic Wave Filter" which shakes the dust off
the sensor. I don't know if it works or not.

Andrew.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 3:48:09 AM

=<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote in message
> Dave Head <rally2xs@att.net> wrote:
>> This seems to be a problem common to all the SLRs - dust on the sensor
>> system.

Nope. Not on Olympus E-1/E-300:)

>> It would be a real convenience if the mfg solved this problem, or
>> even an aftermarket whiz-kid solved it. A shield that would be
>> easily changeable? An automatic cleaning mechanism? Anybody hear
>> of anything in the works, or on the market?
>
> Sigma have a transparent shield at the front of the mirror box.
> Olympus have the "Supersonic Wave Filter" which shakes the dust off
> the sensor. I don't know if it works or not.

Andrew, the E-1's filter works like a charm.

Robert Meyers
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 12:42:39 PM

You have to see the new Olympus E300 !