Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible that a power surge has damaged any of my hardware?

Last response: in Components
February 24, 2013 7:29:48 PM

My specs:

i5-3570k CPU
ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Radeon 7870 GPU
Antec TruePower 650w PSU

My computer, monitor and speakers have been connected to a single socket via an extension cable for the past year. Yesterday my computer randomly shut down and after rebooting apparently the it was the cause of Asus anti-surge protection. I continued using my computer today but avoided using any stressful programs or applications as it had initially shut down while I was playing a video game.

Anyway, it shut down again a few hours ago but now I can't seem to re-boot. I'm worried that a power surge might have damaged my hardware, so how can I figure this out? I'd also like some advice on the steps I should take if my hardware is unharmed; should I buy a UPS/surge-protector? New PSU? Would appreciate absolutely any advice as I'm out of my depth when it comes with dealing with hardware issues. If snybody requires any info that I've missed out please tell me.

Thanks.
February 24, 2013 8:29:55 PM

So do you think my PSU is probably bust? What about a UPS as well?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2013 8:32:07 PM

Just get a surge protector. Its a lot cheaper and I have had a surge protector with no UPS for 5 years now, and i'm still using the stock power supply.
February 24, 2013 8:34:08 PM

you do realise that most surge protecters just have a catridge fuse in them

a lot wont do anything to protect hardware. if voltage flutuates to say 260 it shouldnt trip mcb/main fuse but it might blow psu
February 24, 2013 8:36:24 PM

How long is the extension cable you are using ?
February 24, 2013 8:36:32 PM

How long is the extension cable you are using ?
February 24, 2013 10:59:27 PM

Not too long, about 2m.
February 25, 2013 12:38:32 PM

By the way, are there any good quality PSUs somebody could recommend?
!