Sign in with
Your question

System compatibility

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2012 1:15:23 PM

Hello,
I have come up with a build for a mediocre gaming desktop.

Here is my wishlist -

http://www.flipkart.com/wishlist/rachitkulshreshtha-623...

please review the config and advice me if the components will work together.

Here are my main concerns:

1. Will all of the components fit in the cabinet (both individually & collectively)
2. Is 600W enough for this config and two fans included in cabinet ?
3. Will the PSU have enough ports to connect to all peripherals which will require power ?
4. Will the graphic card fit in the cabinet ?
5. Do I need a network card ?
6. I am having two hard disks (1 SSD with 6 GB/S and other 1 GB Seagate baraccuda also 6 GB/s) will the motherboard have two 6 GB/s ports ?
7. lastly, if i have picked very bad products please suggest improvisations within the same price range.

My main concern is if i will be able to use all products to their full capability or not ?

Please reply i am waiting very eagerly to get a sign off on this.

More about : system compatibility

October 12, 2012 1:23:12 PM

Is this supposed to be a gaming system?

1. Those components should fit in your case, if that's what you're referring to by cabinet.
2. That PSU is more than enough.
3. That PSU should have the necessary connectors for everything.
4. That graphics card is not a large card. It will fit in that case, again, assuming that's what you mean by cabinet.
5. The motherboard has an Ethernet port. You shouldn't need a network card unless a single port isn't enough or you want a different type of network interface.
6. Yes, but that motherboard is not compatible with your CPU. You can't use a socket LGA 2011 CPU on a socket LGA 1155 motherboard. That CPU needs a much more expensive socket LGA 2011 motherboard.
7. I'll make recommendations after you say what this computer is intended for.
m
l
October 12, 2012 1:39:19 PM

Sorry for using cabinet again and again - yes i intended to convey case only !

Computer is needed to run daily use applications with multitasking (downloading, music watching huge size movies) with blazing fast speeds and awesome boot time.

I want to play all games - not necessarily on full settings - but i should be able to play games (by play games i mean decent frame rates) for next three years without loosing very much on graphic details - I have a 17" 1280 x 1024 HP Monitor.

Please suggest me a motherboard from these:
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components/motherboar...

And apart from these questions can you please tell me if the fancy looking ram I have on my cart is better than the standard green chip rams with the same config ? are they worth ?

also, Thank you for the previous reply blazorthon.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 1:55:29 PM

rachitcoolnhot said:
Sorry for using cabinet again and again - yes i intended to convey case only !

Computer is needed to run daily use applications with multitasking (downloading, music watching huge size movies) with blazing fast speeds and awesome boot time.

I want to play all games - not necessarily on full settings - but i should be able to play games (by play games i mean decent frame rates) for next three years without loosing very much on graphic details - I have a 17" 1280 x 1024 HP Monitor.

Please suggest me a motherboard from these:
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components/motherboar...

And apart from these questions can you please tell me if the fancy looking ram I have on my cart is better than the standard green chip rams with the same config ? are they worth ?

also, Thank you for the previous reply blazorthon.

I can't imagine needing an i7 to do all of that nor is it likely to help boot time. I'd recommend a much cheaper CPU, such as an LGA 1155 i5.

A Radeon 7750 would be a better option for a graphics card unless its much more expensive for you (I live in the USA, prices may be different).

http://www.flipkart.com/browse/computers/components/mot...

Those are the motherboards that are compatible with your CPU choice, but I'd recommend getting a cheaper CPU and a cheaper motherboard.

The RAM with heat sinks will run cooler than comparable memory without heat sinks. Some people say that this improves stability and/or longevity, but some people say otherwise. I prefer memory with heat sinks, but that's me. I think that you are going overkill with capacity and that an 8GB kit would be more ideal, but the memory modules themselves are still high-quality.

http://www.flipkart.com/corsair-vengeance-ddr3-8-gb-2-x...
That's the memory kit that I'd recommend from your choices.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:06:30 PM

1. Your components will probably fit, yes. One thing that I would look at is that being a mid tower case, you'll only have so much room for upgrades/mods in the future. Not only that, but effective cable management gets increasingly difficult with smaller cases.

2. 600w PSU will run the hardware you have posted just fine. Be advised, though, if you want to add another graphics card later, you'll need to upgrade that PSU at some point.

3. Blaz is right. You'll have the connectors you need unless you upgrade the GPU later to something that requires two 6 pin connectors.

4. The GPU will fit, yes. You might have trouble putting a fan on the window panel (I'd recommend it), but the GPU will fit.

5. No network card needed. 90% of mobo's all have great ethernet support built right in.

6. What Blaz said. The sockets don't match up. Gotta find another processor to match that mobo, or another mobo to match the processor.

7. I'm gonna catch some hatorade here, but AMD has Intel beat on the pricepoint. An AMD FX8120 can be safely OC'd to 5.0 GHZ+ with the right cooling, it's 8 cores, and costs only $159 from Newegg. Your i5 is about $300. Additionally, the Asus Crosshair V mobo, while more expensive than the one you picked, is a beautiful board. However, if you want the Crosshair V, you'll have to upgrade the tower to a full ATX from a mid size. Below I've linked a few mobo's and the processor.

AMD FX8120 - CPU
Asus Crosshair V - Motherboard 1 ($229)
Asus M5A97 - Motherboard 2 ($94.99) This mobo would fit your current case, the one above is too large.

These might be things you're really not concerned with, but are at least worthy of pointing out. Good luck, brother. :) 
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:09:19 PM

Ickyness said:
1. Your components will probably fit, yes. One thing that I would look at is that being a mid tower case, you'll only have so much room for upgrades/mods in the future. Not only that, but effective cable management gets increasingly difficult with smaller cases.

2. 600w PSU will run the hardware you have posted just fine. Be advised, though, if you want to add another graphics card later, you'll need to upgrade that PSU at some point.

3. Blaz is right. You'll have the connectors you need unless you upgrade the GPU later to something that requires two 6 pin connectors.

4. The GPU will fit, yes. You might have trouble putting a fan on the window panel (I'd recommend it), but the GPU will fit.

5. No network card needed. 90% of mobo's all have great ethernet support built right in.

6. What Blaz said. The sockets don't match up. Gotta find another processor to match that mobo, or another mobo to match the processor.

7. I'm gonna catch some hatorade here, but AMD has Intel beat on the pricepoint. An AMD FX8120 can be safely OC'd to 5.0 GHZ+ with the right cooling, it's 8 cores, and costs only $159 from Newegg. Your i5 is about $300. Additionally, the Asus Crosshair V mobo, while more expensive than the one you picked, is a beautiful board. However, if you want the Crosshair V, you'll have to upgrade the tower to a full ATX from a mid size. Below I've linked a few mobo's and the processor.

AMD FX8120 - CPU
Asus Crosshair V - Motherboard 1 ($229)
Asus M5A97 - Motherboard 2 ($94.99) This mobo would fit your current case, the one above is too large.

These might be things you're really not concerned with, but are at least worthy of pointing out. Good luck, brother. :) 

OP's prices are in rupees in OP's links, I don't think OP can use Newegg ;)  Also, you meant i7 where you put i5, just a little typo there. Also, the LGA 1155 i5s are usually better than the FX CPUs, even the eight-core models, for gaming. FX wins in multi-tasking, but nothing that OP listed is very heavy multi-tasking and OP would need a fairly good cooler to hit 5GHz on the 8120 unless OP disabled some cores.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:09:28 PM

OK, so i7 processor would not help me while running heavy games like Max Payne 3, GTA 4 etc ?
And do all 3rd generation i7 processors require LGA 2011 socket ?

Also I forgot to mention I also have a LITE ON DVD writer - will the power supply be sufficient with this inclusion ?
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:11:10 PM

rachitcoolnhot said:
OK, so i7 processor would not help me while running heavy games like Max Payne 3, GTA 4 etc ?
And do all 3rd generation i7 processors require LGA 2011 socket ?

Also I forgot to mention I also have a LITE ON DVD writer - will the power supply be sufficient with this inclusion ?

Only Sandy Bridge Enthusiast/Extreme (SB-E) i7s need LGA 2011. The Ivy Bridge i7s, i5s, i3s, Pentiums, and Celerons are on LGA 1155 just like the regular version of Sandy Bridge.

Yes, i7 wouldn't help in gaming. i5s are nearly identical in gaming performance right now and the few games that can use i7s (I only know of one, BF3 MP) run perfectly fine on the i5s with a little overclocking anyway.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:27:07 PM

I didn't mention anything about which processor is better, but that the pricepoint on AMD's is much better. You're getting a CPU that's worth more than $150 by going FX8120, while with the Intel CPU's you're paying a premium price point (twice as expensive) for a premium cpu (not twice as good, though it has better benchmarks).

I have my 8120 OC'd to 4.6ghz right now with a simple Corsair H100. I could take it over 5 and still be well within temp threshholds. I think it's still a good option for the OP to consider.

And yes, OP, your DVD drive should be fine as long as its a SATA interface. Even if it isn't SATA, you can find adapters out there to take it from a molex interface.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:49:41 PM

Ickyness said:
I didn't mention anything about which processor is better, but that the pricepoint on AMD's is much better. You're getting a CPU that's worth more than $150 by going FX8120, while with the Intel CPU's you're paying a premium price point (twice as expensive) for a premium cpu (not twice as good, though it has better benchmarks).

I have my 8120 OC'd to 4.6ghz right now with a simple Corsair H100. I could take it over 5 and still be well within temp threshholds. I think it's still a good option for the OP to consider.

And yes, OP, your DVD drive should be fine as long as its a SATA interface. Even if it isn't SATA, you can find adapters out there to take it from a molex interface.

Like I said, the i7s should be ignored for this. The i5s are what should be compared to the FX CPUs in this case. They're not that much more expensive and have much better gaming performance unless you do a lot of work with the FX-81xx CPUs.

For example, you can use PSCheck to cut down the P states of the second core of each module or you can disable that second core, letting the first core in each module more or less monopolize the front end of the module. Gaming is very huge on performance per thread, so this can help a lot despite the loss in highly threaded performance. There's also overclocking the CPU/NB frequency that gives a decent performance boost too.

However, this is not the easiest stuff to do for the novice user and without it, the i5s simply beat AMD in gaming performance.
m
l
!