Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-2500 stock is exactly the same as the K one without OC feature?

Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2013 6:39:36 PM

Im asking this because I have an hp oem desktop and was planning in upgrading my processor. I have an i3-2120 and when I go to see the specs of my computer it tells me which processors I may be able to use. I have the options 2500s, 2500t, and 2500 as well as other dual core and i7 versions. The i5-2500 is the best option and I was wondering whether I should buy the "normal" stock version or the 2500k. Im not going to be able to overclock anything since Im using an oem desktop, but Im thinking in the future. Maybe later I decide to build a pc and will transfer my processor, gpu, psu, etc .. from my old computer to it. Then I may be able to overclock the 2500k to better speeds.

Im just worried that the i5-2500 is not exactly the same as the i5-2500k and will get problems with incompatibility with my motherboard. Both processors are exactly the same price so Im not entirely sure which one should I get.

More about : 2500 stock feature

a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 8:00:01 PM

Get the 2500k if same price, and yes the only diff is OCing, they unlock the multiplier in the "k" version.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 8:12:37 PM

There are only two differences between the K edition and the non-K edition AFAIK. The K editions support multiplier overclocking and lack support for some virtualization acceleration features.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 8:14:38 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section CPU & Components by Mousemonkey
m
l
February 24, 2013 10:20:21 PM

blazorthon said:
There are only two differences between the K edition and the non-K edition AFAIK. The K editions support multiplier overclocking and lack support for some virtualization acceleration features.

"virtualization acceleration features" ... do you mean hyper threading? Maybe you are talking about the integrated graphics? I know the k version has intel hd 3000 and the other one hd 2000.
m
l

Best solution

a c 93 à CPUs
February 24, 2013 11:24:31 PM

The 2500k has and unlocked multiplier and the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. The 2500 has a locked multiplier, HD 2000 graphics, and supports Trusted Execution Technology and VT-d technology, the 2500k does not support those features.

Trusted Execution is a security feature only really used in business. VT-d allows for Virtual Machines to run more responsively by allowing the guest OS to have direct access to the host machine input and output. If you have no need for these features, you might as well get the 2500k, you may not be able to overclock, but it does have a better integrated graphics chip to fall back on if your discrete card fails.
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2013 1:46:19 AM

Supernova is right. But to put it in simpler terms, if you don't know what virtualization is (and no, its not hyper threading) you will never need to use VT-d. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't use virtual machines and know about how they work, you don't need to restrict yourself to the non-K processors. Virtual machines are pretty cool though, I like them! Check them out sometime. :) 

Go with the 2500K if you plan to move it from your OEM motherboard to a platform you can overclock and have the desire to overclock it.
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:45:34 AM

tigerg said:
Supernova is right. But to put it in simpler terms, if you don't know what virtualization is (and no, its not hyper threading) you will never need to use VT-d. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't use virtual machines and know about how they work, you don't need to restrict yourself to the non-K processors. Virtual machines are pretty cool though, I like them! Check them out sometime. :) 

Go with the 2500K if you plan to move it from your OEM motherboard to a platform you can overclock and have the desire to overclock it.

I will do that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :) 
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:45:59 AM

Best answer selected by k4ever.
m
l
!