MB-----1-----Asus P9X79 DELUXE
    MEM----1-----G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 PC3-19200 32GB 4x8GB CL10
    VIDEO--1-----Asus GeForce GTX670 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5
    CASE---1-----Corsair 550D Obsidian Series
    POWER--1-----Corsair HX750 750W 80 Plus Gold
    COOLER-1-----Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
    TFT----2-----Asus PA248Q 24" LED IPS
    DVD----1-----Pioneer BDR-207DBK

1. What do you think of this configuration?

2. I am not planning to overclock the system, the CPU cooler (H100) must be installed on the top inside the case. Is it possible to keep the cases top lid closed so I can take advantage of the silent foam of the case?

3. I read a lot of complaints about the fan noise of the cooling fans equipped with the CPU cooler (H100). Should I replace them by for example Corsair Air Series AF120 Low Noise?

4. Is it advisable to install the operating system (Windows 7 64bit) on the SSD and make a mirror raid of the 2 HDDs?

5. Is the power supply sufficient? Maybe in the future I would like to add another video card (Asus GeForce GTX670 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5) and sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-e).

That's it for the moment, let your opinions rise and I will see what I can do with it. Thank you so much for taking the time and your advise.

Ciao.
  • More about : system good opinions

a b B Homebuilt system
    October 12, 2012 2:54:10 PM

1. Yes
    2. Yes you can take advantage of the noise dampening feature for this case and everything should fit
    3. Its the pumps on the corsair coolers that make the weird noises. Get a nice air cooler if you won't plan to over lock
    4.honestly I'd either install the is on the 1 ssd and do a storage raid on two separate hdds or get 2 decent capacity ssds and run your is off that
    5. Yes your power supply is enough to handle ur system and two 670s
    a b B Homebuilt system
    October 12, 2012 3:11:24 PM

1) Config looks good. 32GB is good for your cause.
    2 & 3) If you aren't OCing your CPU just get a nice air cooler. The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO is a nice go to cooler for a lot of people lately. It's cheap, built well, quiet, has a very nice fan, and cools very well.
    4) You want your OS on the SSD along with most, if not all, of your applications. If you want redundancy for your data, setup the (2) 3TB drives in a RAID 1 at the Controller level (pops up right after BIOS screen).
    5) Honestly, if you are not gaming, I would think a GTX 670 is complete overkill. A GTX650 or other lower end dedicated card should do you just fine. 750W will be fine for pretty much anything you want to do with the system, short of running 2 high-end video cards.

Additional Questions:
    How deep are you getting into SQL? Are you just doing a simple database for dev purposes, or are you really hammering the IO of the DB? I can give you some suggestions if you are really going to hammer SQL. Regardless, a nice thought would be to get a 2nd SSD that would house your SQL databases(s) (logs and DB, unless you are looking for better IO performance, then I'd separate them out). Keep the SQL install and System DBs on your C: drive, just user DB's on the 2nd SSD. You can also use that drive to hold any "in process" files you are working with since it will be MUCH faster than your data drive. If you are doing dev work, or photo work. Jumping around in files is MUCH nicer on an SSD as it's much snappier than spindle disks.
    Related resources
    October 12, 2012 10:04:57 PM

jay2tall said:
    1) Config looks good. 32GB is good for your cause.
    2 & 3) If you aren't OCing your CPU just get a nice air cooler. The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO is a nice go to cooler for a lot of people lately. It's cheap, built well, quiet, has a very nice fan, and cools very well.
    4) You want your OS on the SSD along with most, if not all, of your applications. If you want redundancy for your data, setup the (2) 3TB drives in a RAID 1 at the Controller level (pops up right after BIOS screen).
    5) Honestly, if you are not gaming, I would think a GTX 670 is complete overkill. A GTX650 or other lower end dedicated card should do you just fine. 750W will be fine for pretty much anything you want to do with the system, short of running 2 high-end video cards.

Additional Questions:
    How deep are you getting into SQL? Are you just doing a simple database for dev purposes, or are you really hammering the IO of the DB? I can give you some suggestions if you are really going to hammer SQL. Regardless, a nice thought would be to get a 2nd SSD that would house your SQL databases(s) (logs and DB, unless you are looking for better IO performance, then I'd separate them out). Keep the SQL install and System DBs on your C: drive, just user DB's on the 2nd SSD. You can also use that drive to hold any "in process" files you are working with since it will be MUCH faster than your data drive. If you are doing dev work, or photo work. Jumping around in files is MUCH nicer on an SSD as it's much snappier than spindle disks.

Thanks for your informative reply.

2 & 3) I will look into the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, probably it's better than the overkill. Maybe I will infact do over clock the CPU and memory, but surely not in an extreme way, so I check if the cooler you've proposed also does well in slightly overclocked systems.
    4) Perfect, looks exactly what I was looking for.
    5) OK, I am not playing the new generation games for awhile now, simply because of the hardware limitation, I possess just a regular business portable. The only game I am playing at the moment is Unreal Tournament 2004, it helps me get out of the daily stress but bores me as hell. Buying a Wii was not an option because I'm not so keen on that "fitness thingy". So maybe I will spend in the future more time gaming instead of working, and than I would like to enjoy really good quality images.

The answer to your additional questions:
    Normal simple database for dev purposes, including: analysis services, integration services, reporting services. I don't think it is necessary to install the database and log file on a second SSD, but maye in the future it could be needed. Thanks for the advice on that one.

Ciao.
    a b B Homebuilt system
    October 12, 2012 11:01:56 PM

2 & 3) Here are some reviews for your pleasure: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/cooler...
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=265...

5)A GTX670 will play any game you want if you are looking for games. I find myself buying games on sale, ones I meant to play, but never did. Steam has games for $5-$10 a lot and is worth watching for. I just finished Bioshock 2 (Steam $4.99). And just started Crysis 2 (Newegg $7.99). Also, you wouldn't really need a 750W PSU a 650W would be more than enough, if you wanted to cut a little off the price.

Additional Questions: it was just a though, but you would know how much disk IO you really need.
    October 13, 2012 1:05:34 AM

jay2tall said:
    2 & 3) Here are some reviews for your pleasure: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/cooler...
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=265...

5)A GTX670 will play any game you want if you are looking for games. I find myself buying games on sale, ones I meant to play, but never did. Steam has games for $5-$10 a lot and is worth watching for. I just finished Bioshock 2 (Steam $4.99). And just started Crysis 2 (Newegg $7.99). Also, you wouldn't really need a 750W PSU a 650W would be more than enough, if you wanted to cut a little off the price.

Additional Questions: it was just a though, but you would know how much disk IO you really need.

After checking the reviews it sound pretty good, even it seems to be working fine with moderate over-clocked system. Hence, it seems that it is not standard support for the LGA2011, on their website they claim they do, but the first review states that I have to purchase an additional fastening mechanism to install the cooler on an LGA2011 platform. Secondly, something that is bothering me is the fact that I am not sure the cooler fits well and doesn't overlap the memory modules. There is about 40 mm space between the motherboard and the cooler. Since the memory modules that I have chosen are 54 mm by themselves. Looking deeper into the manual of the motherboard, it didn't gave me a clear view of the space available in the CPU area.
    An alternative for the memory modules could be: G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 32GB 4x8GB CL9. They are 10€ cheaper than the once running on 2400 MHz. As indicated in the specifications of the motherboard, I need to over-clock the system in order to use the 2400MHz (the same thing if I would change them for the once running on 2133 MHz)

Life can be difficult some times...

5) That is what I am going to do, buy those games I liked to play, but couldn't.

About your additional questions:
    I really don't know, probably not to much. For me it is important that I can setup a couple of Virtual Machines to create a proof of concept infrastructure or just for testing things out. With this: Team Foundation Server, SharePoint, Domain Controller, SQL Server...
    And it doesn't take me the frustrating waiting time switching between them or even use them.

Ciao.
    !