Cant format HD?

G

I am trying to install a 18Gig Seagate Ultra 160 SCSI disk on a Tyan k7 Thunder with Win2kPro. The Bios SCSI utility will do a low leval format but, windows wont. The disk managment tool in the Administrativ Tools/Computer Managment/Disk Manager doesent offer an option to format it. The HD shows up but shows unknown and lacks any options.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a method of fixing this?
Thanks,
Anim8tor

G

Did you install the SCSI Windows driver properly?

Go in device manager and check for any devices that shows with a "?" icon.

G

I even uninstaled the scsi driver and re installed it. There are no questionmarks in the devise manager. The first Disk C:SCSI id 0 works properly but the second SCSI id 1 is the one with problems. I tried to remove and reinstall the drive and that didn't help either. I checked the jumper setting the Id is set properly and it it terminated.
I am stumped.
Thanks,
Anim8tor

G

I had a similar problem with the same model.
Drive work ok but Will not format.
Replacing the SCSI LVD cable with a working one solved the problem for me. Might also be a bad terminator.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
gg, dude, there is no Windowscompatiblepartitiononthedrive, got that? criate portishins in order to fermat someting.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

G

Problem solved. Someone suggested running fdisk of of a boot disk flopy. It created a dos partition and when I started up win2k it formated right away.
Thanks fotr the suggestions,
Anim8tor