Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

hartacus

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
This was my first build & I couldn't be happier. I cheaped out and went with some older parts but I just ran a 5 min stress test and my cpu wouldn't go over 60 degrees Celsius. I did the same test on my Dell XPS 9100 with a i7 920 before and it went up to 90 degrees. Plus all the dell ports started failing and I didn't want to buy new ones. Thanks for all the help.

Corsair 600T
Corsair H60
Asus Rampage III Gene
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366
GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870
6x EDGE Tech 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) SDRAM Memory Module
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM

And for anyone who reads this in the future. A $16 dollar DVD-rom when used, sounds and works like a $16 DVD-rom.

Special thanks to inzone for helping me select the motherboard.

A DVD drive will be as loud as it can spin(sure some have slightly better balance).

The "Better" drives tend to just be smarter and slow down for DVD/Audio CD/BD so they are not running in bursts of full speed.

Most when burning full out or reading data discs can be quite loud. I tend to buy LG now because nothing is worse then hearing a DVD drive spin up and down while watching a movie.

Other end of the spectrum are users who HATE lg because ripping DVD/CD/BD is slower as a result of this feature. They use LiteON :)

I have a LiteON slimline drive with Nero DriveSpeed(Funny its the Only part of the Nero burning rom I use any more. Since my backups are on hard drives, I burn very few discs) to make it quiet enough for watching DVD's(some DVD playback software is also better at preventing this spin up/down issue).

hartacus

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Why did you say interesting combinations?

I went with the 1366 because I wanted to originally keep the RAM and the i7 920 from my Dell XPS 9100. Then a friend bought my dell and I already had the mobo. SO then I just went and bought the 960. Here are some.

P1012052_zpse49f32f7.jpg

P1012044_zps98da7c7e.jpg

hartacus

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Ohh you're just a negative nancy. For the money I spent on this I got a much better rig by buying older items. the i7 960 is still better than any new i5. The ASUS mobo I bought for $170. Stop being such a conformist and a little kid in a candy shop. That's what these companies want you to do. Always wanting the newest and best. I have a damn fine rig today in 2012 with parts from 2010.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Folks, no need to give Hartacus grief on the build. He made decisions based on his situation at the time, and then they changed. Stuff happens.

One of things about tech, there is always a better build, just around the corner. If you wait for the next new tech all of the time, you get nothing in the end.

Have a great day!

hartacus

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Ivy Bridge i5 would DESTROY the i7 960
No, not what I need it for. Rendering times on the 960 are much faster than any i5 ivy on both 3ds max and in revit.

the 6870 I bought 2 years ago and kept it.

Anyway enjoy that pos for the year that you can.
Why are you going to rape and kill my computer next October or something?

I find your responses to be very amusing. For some reason you decided to come into a forum where I was thanking everyone and criticize the decision I made about my build. The new rampage motherboards are well over $300, I paid $170. The Intel 960, yes outdated, works fine for rendering and does what I want it to do. My computer has no skips, isnt sluggish, and works fast with 45MB Sketchup/Revit files. What more could I possible ask for? The only thing I am left to assume is that you have decided to troll this forum because you, in reality...............have a very small penis or are very short. Your behavior tends to be that of someone lacking in a certain area while lashing out with aggression to compensate. Thanks again everyone :hello:

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Readin the newbuild section of the forum suggest that a better build comes along about once every 2-3 minutes :lol:

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

I know where I could get a 960 for $140 is it worth the buy? I was gonna go AMD FX 8350, but this is such a tempting buy because it's a i7 and it's dirt cheap! I can also get a MoBo for a good price too! Should I do it?

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

I know where I could get a 960 for $140 is it worth the buy? I was gonna go AMD FX 8350, but this is such a tempting buy because it's a i7 and it's dirt cheap! I can also get a MoBo for a good price too! Should I do it?

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Alright now, a mod really just needs to close this post. OP was saying thank you, and its turned into a full-on flaming war.

Constructive criticism is fine, but resorting to petty insults to get your point across is a little childish, no?

Let's all move on, people.

hartacus

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
jrgong You are a Mr. Poopy pants. I asked for help selecting parts and was recommended those part on this forum based off of my requirements. Although it does suck that I'm limited to what I can OC due to the 1366 The ASUS mobo is amazing. Actually after this I would only buy ASUS. I'm so happy with my mobo I went and bought an ASUS tablet.

On another note. I got a stable OC at 4009.13Mhz or 4Ghz. At Idle I'm getting temps of 44 degrees and while gaming I'm getting temps of around 62. Damn happy with my shitty awful h60, even though I know it is the biggest piece of crap ever and I will probably have to kill myself for owning one. :D

Can you please PM me where you saw a 960 for $140.00 please? Thanks

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Dude, They're gone, they took it down a few days ago... :( check Microcenter and Fry's.