Sign in with
Your question

Most bang for buck on a gaming CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2013 10:38:09 PM

Hey all,

I'm building a gaming rig later this week. Outside of gaming it will be used to view videos and do light word processing or spreadsheet work. I'm curious as to which chip will give me the most bang for my buck under $200.00. I can't afford a K series intel chip so overclocking is out.

I'm either looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know the Intel chip is going to outperfrom the AMD chip. I'm curious though as to whether that performance will be worth the $100.00 extra it costs, plus the extra 20-30 it costs for a similarly featured Intel mobo vs an AMD mobo.

I'm hoping to be able to play games at high settings (maybe not max) currently and hoping the chip can at least play on medium settings into the next two to three years. Once in stock I'm going with this GPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Outside that just doing 8 gb of ram with the prospect of expanding to 16 in a year or two, a 128 gig SSD, 1.5 tb HDD, and a blu ray drive. If I get the AMD chip I'll likely get an aftermarket cooler since it can be overclocked where the intel chip cannot.

More about : bang buck gaming cpu

a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 10:41:18 PM

What games are you going to be playing?
February 24, 2013 10:43:39 PM

Typically RPGs and action games. I'm interested in Dishonored, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, AC 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, things of that nature. If EA ever does a PC based Madden or NHL title again I'd get that as well.
Related resources
a c 86 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2013 10:43:56 PM

There's no need to expand to 16GB if you aren't doing video editing (in which case you'd need more than that anyways.)

Also, think hard about whether you really need a blu ray drive - you could use that savings to squeak out an i5-3570k and a Hyper 212+.

EDIT: For guild wars two you want the intel chip - it's very poorly optimized, and wants very fast cores.
February 24, 2013 10:47:37 PM

I actually got extra budge for the blu ray drive from my wife. She wants it because it will be attached to our TV and keeps us from needing a blu ray player.

GW 2 is one of the primary things I'll be playing most likely so if it will run significantly better on the intel chip I'll go with it.
a c 100 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2013 10:54:40 PM

They are both good choices at there price points based on the overall price of the system id say the i5 is worth it but if you want to save $100 the 965BE is good.
a c 86 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2013 10:58:38 PM

Glovesave33 said:
I actually got extra budge for the blu ray drive from my wife. She wants it because it will be attached to our TV and keeps us from needing a blu ray player.

GW 2 is one of the primary things I'll be playing most likely so if it will run significantly better on the intel chip I'll go with it.

I've got an i5-3570k, heavily overclocked, with a good graphics card, and guild wars 2 still stutters a bit.

In my mother's computer, which is a hand-me-down build from me, the 965BE pretty much chokes in any area with more than a couple dozen characters on-screen. (However, it's not overclocked, so take that with a grain of salt. It is, however, running on low with a graphics card capable of running it on medium.)
!