Is there a way to get a PCI-E 1.0 card to fit a PCI-E 2.0 Slot?

ThunderBoyDavid

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012

ThunderBoyDavid

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
i have a Pinnacle 800i TV Tuner card and i don't want to give it up.
i had to buy a new motherboard.. my old one died. Anyway..
The motherboard only has PCI-E 2.0 slots.. and the card only fits PCI-E 1.0 slots.
i have seen riser cards to convert other slots.. and cables to convert other slots.
But i can't find anything for PCI-E 1.0 to PCI-E 2.0.
Should i just dump the card and go with a USB TV Tuner.
i say USB because Newegg only had PCI-E 1.0 Cards.. Only.. or USB Tuners.
Thanks in advance.
ThunderBoyDavid

PCIe 1.0 and 2.0 slots are the same physical size. The only change is the bandwidth that the slot communicates with the SB or CPU. A PCIe 1.0 device will work in a 2.0 slot no problem.

Plug it into the slot, it will work just fine.

Now if you're talking about legacy PCI and PCIe then there is a problem.

ThunderBoyDavid

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
The Problem is.. about an inch from the left is a notch in the pins... right..
Well... the new slot on the board has the notch on it... but its like.. 2 hairs from being an inch..
and the card won't slide in... i have pounded on it.. used a hammer.. you name it..
The card will not pop in... the small side is to wide for the slot.
ThunderBoyDavid

ThunderBoyDavid

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
OH... It's an ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard. And the manual does say that the very last slot is a PCI-E x16 x1 slot... if so... then the slot was not made correctly.
ThunderBoyDavid

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

You are right, I looked it up and the Pinnacle 800i TV Tuner is a PCI card and not PCIe. The ASUS Sabertooth X58 does have a PCI slot but it is just below the top full size PCIe slot (3rd card slot on the board) and if you have a dual slot video card it will be covered up. If he has a dual slot video card he should be able to move it to the second white PCIe slot (it is also x16 and 2.0) which should open up the PCI slot for the TV Tuner.

ThunderBoyDavid

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
OMG.. So.. all i have to do is move my Video card down to the next x16 slot... i know what You mean...
You are a Genius!!!! i will dance at your wedding. Let me shut down and give that a try.

One thing... the i7 processor i got... the book said to keep it 39C or below... will installing the Tuner increase the heat??
i am thinking about adding a water cooling system.. Newegg gave 5 eggs to the Thermaltake WATER 2.0 Pro.. Any thoughts??
i have an Antec Nine Hundred case.. right now the processor is running at 44C... that's with me checking email and playing solitaire.
But if i watch a movie or play Quake, it will go up to 52C or hover there about...

Thanks for all the Help!!!... i will let You know how it turns out!!!
ThunderBoyDavid