670 4 or 2 gb for 3x monitors? Also displayport ?

daterxies

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hi. Im getting a 670, and was just curious, will it be a well noticeably difference if i buy the 2gig 670 running some games with 3x 23in monitors? Or am i certainly going to want to get the 4gb? Don't have enough money to SLI. I dont plan on playing a lot of games with the 3 monitors, but some would be cool i think (Like GW2, mostly MMO's in general)

I decided on the Gigabyte 670, but now im wondering if an extra 2 gigs will make a big impact playing on the high resolutions, and if its WORTH paying 70~ bucks more?

Also, for 670 i need a display port to DVI adapter. Any suggestions? i have a 5850 now and i dont remember everything about it but im pretty sure i had to buy a special adapter for it, is this the case for the 670 as well?

Thanks for all the help!

Solution
Well ATM im running 2, 32 inch monitors and 1 28 inch monitor all in 1080p with nvidia surround and even without using the latest drivers, If i play games without anitailiasing and post processing i can get away with high-ultra with an average of 40-60 fps all on my 1 gtx 670 with 2gb of vram, and yea i am using 2 dvi-hdmi and the hdmi slot so all the display ports work easially for me. However i am also in a tossup of selling my gfx card and getting a 770 with 4gb, or another gtx 670 OR selling my 28 inch and buying a identical 2 inch monitor. When it comes down to it, I personally thing antiailising isnt very important unless youre a graphics freak. but in this case i think youd be better off getting a 760 with 4gb of vram, their...
A single 670 is not enough for ideal triple monitor gaming unless the monitors have resolutions below 1080p. It simply doesn't have the graphics performance for it to play ideally in many games. That's more like something for SLI or CF. Also, although depending on the games that you play, Radeon 7950 or 7970 CF would probably be somewhat better for you than GTX 670 SLI, especially when heavy AA and tessellation are used together.

If you do go with the 670, then no, 4GB of VRAM capacity probably wouldn't help a single GTX 670. You wouldn't be able to play in settings high enough to fully tax 2GB unless you did SLI.

Whether or not you need an adapter would depend on your displays and the display outputs of your graphics card.

daterxies

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

ok thanks!

By the adapter, i meant last time i needed to buy i think it was an active display port adapter to dvi, there were only a select few that would work with the 5850. Just dont know if its the same with the 670.

Or will it work without a display port, if i have 2 DVI's and 1x HDMI? (it wouldnt work like that on the 5850, i NEEDED the displayport)

m4tch3dplaya

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Well ATM im running 2, 32 inch monitors and 1 28 inch monitor all in 1080p with nvidia surround and even without using the latest drivers, If i play games without anitailiasing and post processing i can get away with high-ultra with an average of 40-60 fps all on my 1 gtx 670 with 2gb of vram, and yea i am using 2 dvi-hdmi and the hdmi slot so all the display ports work easially for me. However i am also in a tossup of selling my gfx card and getting a 770 with 4gb, or another gtx 670 OR selling my 28 inch and buying a identical 2 inch monitor. When it comes down to it, I personally thing antiailising isnt very important unless youre a graphics freak. but in this case i think youd be better off getting a 760 with 4gb of vram, their prices are almost identical and dont forget to use the cash you get off selling your curent gfx card and you probably could get a good price on one.

another thing, Ive maxed out my vram on single monitors with good games like crysis 3 and bf4. I can max out 2gb of vram easially on qite a few games

Solution