System intermittently pauses execution and then returns , ideas?

PrestonS

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi Guys,

Built a machine last spring with a i5-2500k on a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA. Running a Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 SSD and I've been having a strange problem lately. The system seems to stop execution for very short periods of time, music buzzes, mouse freezes, video pauses, etc. Then things return to normal. Almost always for short periods like 250ms or so and often several times in a row and then clears up and won't occur for a while. Really driving me crazy when listening to music and when trying to edit images in Photoshop. Any ideas how I might go about diagnosing the problem? Does not seem to be heat related or related to time the system has been operating.

Thanks for any ideas or help!
Preston

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I'd check for a driver issue first, and update all your drivers. If you recently updated anything (drivers, software updates, new software), you can try a system restore to a point before it started happening and see if that eliminates it.

ie, I run Firefox, and when I updated to the new Catalyst drivers and the FF 15.0.1 update, FF constantly crashes due to a driver problem and hardware acceleration in FF. Trivial little thing like keeping my system up to date rendered my browser useless unless HW Acc was off.

I'm guessing the same scenario happened to you, some driver was updated which caused a conflict with your sound card for example, and your sound card drivers need updating, or perhaps there is no solution using x or y drivers until z is done by company q...

PrestonS

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hey Scottie,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the updates and software. Seems odd though that this would impact all systems (usb mouse, audio from the mobo, video, etc). It is like the entire system halts execution for a split second.

Thanks!
Preston