Sign in with
Your question

Frequent Failure on Boot

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2012 6:54:27 PM

I recently received some new RAM and an extra hard-drive for an old XP machine. Windows crashes on startup. Swapping back to the old RAM hasn't resolved the problem. It started crashing when I opened a new process at first, then became more frequent as time passed. Now, I cannot even get past the Windows logo. Previously, along with this, it kept looping at startup and rarely got to the login screen (although I believe I have fixed this.) I have run a mem-test (Only option that worked) through an Ubuntu boot disc and it didn't detect any errors, so I don't believe it is my RAM. I am truly confused and would appreciate any and all assistance in this matter. I will attempt to upload my computer specification soon, as I do not know them at the moment.

Edit: The reboots are back. As before, they happen at the Windows logo. Although infrequent, the freezes still occur.

More about : frequent failure boot

October 12, 2012 7:21:54 PM

I've seen something similar to that once. I believe my problem was that the windows files were corrupt. Maybe a system file check will help. Maybe if you boot from the xp disk there should be a file check option somewhere. I think that's how I fixed it.
m
l
October 12, 2012 7:34:47 PM

Might want to consider that it could be a virus too. That sounds typical of one, especially with it slowly getting worse until it won't load windows.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 8:44:01 PM

Maybe try F8, last known good config, or safe mode and a system restore.

If the memory was incompatible, it may have corrupted windows.

Worth a try
m
l
October 12, 2012 8:49:32 PM

Could be a virus or could be a failing hard drive. Boot back into that Ubuntu CD and view the hard drives SMART data to see if there are any errors.

If you are getting BSODs please post what the error at the top is, it will help to narrow down what is causing this failure.

m
l
October 12, 2012 9:12:59 PM

mlcaouette said:
Could be a virus or could be a failing hard drive. Boot back into that Ubuntu CD and view the hard drives SMART data to see if there are any errors.

If you are getting BSODs please post what the error at the top is, it will help to narrow down what is causing this failure.

As I said, the only working option on the Ubuntu disc was the memory check. Also, I do not get a Blue Screen Of Death, it just freezes or reboots.
m
l
October 12, 2012 9:14:49 PM

Shanglerod said:
Maybe try F8, last known good config, or safe mode and a system restore.

If the memory was incompatible, it may have corrupted windows.

Worth a try

Sadly, safe mode does not work. I believe the RAM was compatible, it is DDR 1.
m
l
October 12, 2012 9:26:05 PM

If you have a spare hard drive or you don't mind losing your files, format and do a fresh operating system install. If that doesn't fix it, you can conclude that it's a hardware problem.
m
l
October 12, 2012 9:32:58 PM

flexxar said:
If you have a spare hard drive or you don't mind losing your files, format and do a fresh operating system install. If that doesn't fix it, you can conclude that it's a hardware problem.

I have already tried that. I changed my hard drive, installed new XP and the problem persists. If it IS a hardware problem, what might it be and how can I fix it?
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:33:53 AM

At this point, I would reseat all of my heatsinks to be sure they are making good contact and watch the temperatures. If the temps are good, and it is still doing it, I would pull all cards out from the motherboard and see if it will boot with just cpu, ram, and hard drive. If it still does it, it is almost certainly a faulty motherboard. Your new ram might have problems and might have caused the motherboard to fail. I believe that happened to me once.
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:29:10 PM

flexxar said:
At this point, I would reseat all of my heatsinks to be sure they are making good contact and watch the temperatures. If the temps are good, and it is still doing it, I would pull all cards out from the motherboard and see if it will boot with just cpu, ram, and hard drive. If it still does it, it is almost certainly a faulty motherboard. Your new ram might have problems and might have caused the motherboard to fail. I believe that happened to me once.

Thank you, I will try that now and post any updates.
m
l
October 15, 2012 4:49:37 PM

Tomorrow I will do a thorough check of the hardware. If anyone has any other advice until then, please post.
m
l
!