Sign in with
Your question

New build - budget of $600

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2012 7:09:25 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next two weeks (pending check/time)

Budget Range: 500-600 < total after shipping/building

System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, homework (powerpoint and onenote usage), editing videos, editing pictures, maybe some gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: I currently have an old monitor and I'm thinking of upgrading

Do you need to buy OS: Yes > i have an OEM listed in my newegg wishlist, what is the best option?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, although i'd love to hear any opinions about other sites

Parts Preferences: intel cpu, can be persuaded otherwise though.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No < a little too expensive for my range, right?

Your Monitor Resolution: if i did upgrade > 1920x1080

Here is my parts list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Further notes:

In the future I'd like to build an HTPC, so that got me thinking. Should I just get a normal case for now and transfer the components to a new HTPC case when I have the money? Or should I get an HTPC case now and just transfer the entire unit to my tv area and build an entirely new pc when I have the funds?

I have two different graphics cards listed, one's passively cooled and the other has a fan, what do you prefer?

I also have two different cases listed, I definitely need some input on what I should do there. Should I get a different power source? I hear the ones that come with cases aren't very reliable.

Please, if you have any preference for part brands/types, let me know why! I want to learn the ins and outs of all of this, I'm looking forward to this learning process.

More about : build budget 600

October 12, 2012 10:01:54 PM

Antec do several decent mATX cases c/w power supplies. The advantage with Antec is the included PSU's are usually reasonable quality.
My other thought is, are you sure you want Windows 8. I've not tried it, but everyone tells me it's c**p.
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:23:33 PM

I like that Sapphire Video card. It will do well. Processor is questionable... If you want to edit videos and watch High-Def movies, I suggest you go with a AMD they usually have better budget CPU's than Intel. I recently got a AMD Trinity A10-5800k for $129.99 and its great performance-wise for a budget CPU (actually its an APU) comparable to a good i3. It has AMD Radeon HD 7660 integrated graphics and is very overclockable if you end up overclocking. It is also very future proof as it is for a brand new socket and was released like 2 weeks ago. I haven't actually experienced it yet but I will be receiving it in a few days and I'll tell you how I like it. Like the man said above me, Antec cases are great, so are Corsairs.

Here's what I put together real quick:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k94F

If you wanted to use Windows 8, simply change that. And if you plan to OC you will need a better CPU cooler than the stock one.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 11:31:20 PM

I second the vote for the Trinity - for what you're doing, you don't even need to get a graphics card.

Again, for what you're doing, windows 8 is proly the best bet. And yes, OEM is fine.
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:48:05 PM

The A10 Trinity is a good CPU, from a graphic point of view, but it's not even in the same league as i3-3220, in computational ability, with i3 scoring FOUR times that of A10 in PC Mark7 Computation.
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:52:29 PM

Scratch all that. After re reading your post, as much as I hate to say it, you might be better off getting a laptop and using your current monitor for dual screen. You could build yourself a nice rig for $600 (see my sig, that was 2 months ago, you can do better) but honestly, a laptop might be better off.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y480 i5-3210M 2.5GHz IB, 6GB DDR3 1600, 5400RPM 750GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT640M LE 1gb, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Not a bad little laptop, $599, free shipping, don't know if you'll pay taxes.
m
l
October 12, 2012 11:58:18 PM

malbluff said:
The A10 Trinity is a good CPU, from a graphic point of view, but it's not even in the same league as i3-3220, in computational ability, with i3 scoring FOUR times that of A10 in PC Mark7 Computation.

True that Intel's i3, i5, i7 and similar processors in that league are great in raw power and performance, but in contrast AMD beats Intel in almost anything graphics related and is fairly cheaper. For what he plans to do I would still recommend AMD even though its clock cycles don't do near as much as Intel's do.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:05:23 AM

Certainly agree, in terms of basic games, without GPU, plus you can overclock the A10, but OP wants photo/video editing, where i3 is about 40% faster.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:21:52 AM

I've done a lot of research lately and the i3-3220 and A10-5800k both have different pros respectively with i3 beating out the A10 in overall Performance score though the A10 barely beats the i3 in overall Productivity. The i3 smokes the A10 in Creativity Score and, as you said, destroys the A10 in Computation score (3.92x). The A10 and i3 basically tie at Entertainment Scores. The i3 beats A10 in Photoshop and After Effects tests though the A10 Renders about 20% faster than the i3. Also, does 3D editing and presentation exponentially better than i3.

So all in all If you want to edit videos quick and edit a lot and such go with an i3 or i5 for your budget. If you intend to play games even lightly I would suggest the A10. Though, it says you enjoy watching movies and videos I would choose the A10 over the i3. It all comes down to what you want to do.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:22:51 AM

I definitely want to build a pc, i wanna be able to have a little more horsepower than a laptop, and it looks like i might have to spend more money to do so. i've upgraded the list, i have no idea why but im leaning more towards intel + a graphics card, or intel i3 + 4000 graphics. if im really serious about getting more horsepower, should i get the card?

also, what do you guys think about the case i have listed and the PSU? will that psu fit? should i even bother getting that psu and just stick with the one inside of it? i know antec has nice stock psus but none of em look like something i want.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:26:58 AM

If you really want an Intel processor your going to pay more for it + a graphics card. But, in your list I would pick the 3225 if you are not buying a graphics card. If you are get the 3220 and the Sapphire 7950 HD. The 3220 plus graphics card will wow you on movies and games.

I'm not great with PSU's so don't ask me I may end up giving you a bad suggestion
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:30:57 AM

word, thanks man. alright i know i keep asking this stupid question but what about the case and the PSU? i feel like the PSU is an important choice.

also, why are OSs for new computers so expensive?? not good.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:32:06 AM

IamJJJ said:
If you really want an Intel processor your going to pay more for it + a graphics card. But, in your list I would pick the 3225 if you are not buying a graphics card. If you are get the 3220 and the Sapphire 7950 HD. The 3220 plus graphics card will wow you on movies and games.

I'm not great with PSU's so don't ask me I may end up giving you a bad suggestion

haha i just read the last sentence IamJJJ. woops.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:36:33 AM

mre2789 said:
word, thanks man. alright i know i keep asking this stupid question but what about the case and the PSU? i feel like the PSU is an important choice.

also, why are OSs for new computers so expensive?? not good.

OS's are always about $100 for the cheapest ones. The reason they're so high is because Microsoft doesn't really have huge competition in the OS market besides Apple OS. But Apple cant fulfill everything people need in an OS like Microsoft can. Plus OS is a huge chunk of Microsoft Sales. If they lowered the prices they would have a lot less money. It's all marketing stuff. Personally I'd price that stuff 50-75 bucks :p 
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:41:29 AM

You really have to sit down and decide what you want. You said "raw horsepower". That equates to a CPU & GPU. You're also talking about a mid tower case for airflow and internal size. At first you said your budget was $600 including taxes & shipping but you said you might up the budget.

For a non OC'ed CPU & single mid grade GPU ~400 Watts is sufficient. Brand is more important than overall wattage. An Antec 400W is better than an off brand 500W.

Here is a potent build that will handle your needs for $566 (including Blu Ray) without a motherboard. I'm a motherboard NOOB. Let someone else pick that for you.
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:58:47 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k9wV

Edited build. Motherboard supports high RAM frequencies and is Crossfire compatible. Also it has 1 Sata 6/gbs port for a SSD if you choose to use on in the future.

Use the Graphics card in his build mine is wrong.
m
l
October 13, 2012 9:53:08 AM

Personally. I still think your best option is i3-3200 and H77 mobo. Link that with a decent lower-mid range graphics card, like HD7770, or even HD7750, and you will be ok, until you upgrade to 1080p monitor. At that time, you may find you want to upgrade graphics, but, by that time, there will probably be better, budget cards.
I really wouldn't recommend "included" power supplies, except with an Antec Case. Other than that, get "separates". It doesn't have to be a huge case. Coolermaster do some reasonable cases, in their Elite range. They tend to only come with a single fan, but that won't be a problem, with your build, assuming you're not in a hot enviroment, and you can always add a fan, later, if required. Get something like Antec Basiq , or Corsair 430w power supply, and that's ample, plus a bit for expansion.
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:15:03 PM

malbluff said:
Personally. I still think your best option is i3-3200 and H77 mobo. Link that with a decent lower-mid range graphics card, like HD7770, or even HD7750, and you will be ok, until you upgrade to 1080p monitor. At that time, you may find you want to upgrade graphics, but, by that time, there will probably be better, budget cards.
I really wouldn't recommend "included" power supplies, except with an Antec Case. Other than that, get "separates". It doesn't have to be a huge case. Coolermaster do some reasonable cases, in their Elite range. They tend to only come with a single fan, but that won't be a problem, with your build, assuming you're not in a hot enviroment, and you can always add a fan, later, if required. Get something like Antec Basiq , or Corsair 430w power supply, and that's ample, plus a bit for expansion.

thanks man. great advice from everyone. pumped to try this out.
m
l
!