Sign in with
Your question

How to enable audio on ati radeon hd 4550

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2012 12:15:45 AM

Do i need something additional for this?
August 20, 2012 12:22:15 AM

I have recently purchased a Hdmi (male) to Dvi male 25ft long cable - with the intention of getting video and audio on my LCD television, however that is not the case as i only get video - which is stunning btw.
how do i get audio ? do i do something additional or is it my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4550) does not support audio. I don't wanna spend unnecessary money.
please advise
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:35:28 AM

Assuming you TV set has a HDMI connection, then just connect it to your video card through a HDMI cable for audio and video.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:36:08 AM

Go to control panel -> Sound and set default sound device to your graphics card.
m
l
August 20, 2012 12:51:28 AM

jemm said:
Assuming you TV set has a HDMI connection, then just connect it to your video card through a HDMI cable for audio and video.

thank you for your response , however the graphics card has a DVI+VGA output and I purchased a DVI cable(male) to HDMI (male) hoping that I will get sound. do i need to have an attachment
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:56:05 AM

Your graphic card needs to have an HDMI output to carry audio. If it does not have one, then you will need to connect the PC to the HDTV via other means for audio as well as the DVI to HDMI cable (for video).

-Wolf sends
m
l
August 20, 2012 12:56:44 AM

Sunius said:
Go to control panel -> Sound and set default sound device to your graphics card.

thanks for the advice - the audio options in the control panel indicated that the HDMI audio is not connected
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:41:43 AM

tubercolosis69 said:
thank you for your response , however the graphics card has a DVI+VGA output and I purchased a DVI cable(male) to HDMI (male) hoping that I will get sound. do i need to have an attachment

According to AMD, your card has an integrated DisplayPort technology, with audio, which is an innovative digital solution that supports the latest graphics and LCD technologies http://www.amd.com/br/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

AMD also states that your card has HDMI® output support. It supports all display resolutions up to 1920x10802 -- Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:58:49 AM

DVI doesn't carry audio. You HAVE to use HDMI to HDMI to get audio, otherwise you have to go DVI for video and your sound card to the TV for audio. There is no way to get audio from DVI.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 6:59:42 AM

If your video card supports it, you can connect the SPDIF connector from the motherboard to the graphics card so it can use the audio in the HDMI.

But I'm not sure your card has this feature.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:44:26 AM

Deemo13 said:
If your video card supports it, you can connect the SPDIF connector from the motherboard to the graphics card so it can use the audio in the HDMI.

But I'm not sure your card has this feature.

I am sure you meant to "connect the SPDIF connector from the motherboard" to your home theatre, or other audio device, and not to the "graphics card".
m
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 3:52:15 PM

No. There are some graphic cards that have a two-pin S/PDIF connection port that will allow for audio over DVI.

In the above image the two-pin connector is just to the right of the SLI bridge connector.

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2008/02/21/g9...

-Wolf sends
m
l
!