Upgrading HP m9340f graphics card and have question?

ohlook

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
I am wanting to upgrade my good old HP Pavilion Elite m9304f (specs here)

I am looking at the SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card (and upgrading my RAM from 6GB to the max of 8GB.)

I edit RAW files in Photoshop CS5 and usually have it open along with Lightroom 4 plus I want to be able to play World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 with my kids (not at the same time of course, lol). Right now I can do it but the performance isn't great. I know the extra RAM will help the Photoshop situation but I have to set the graphics down a good bit in the games.

I am also thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista but $300 for all this is about my limit.

Will this be a good upgrade for my computer? Will the graphics card have any affect on the Photoshop editing or will that just be the RAM?

Thanks for any advice!

ohlook

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Ah, I see. Hmmm... I just realized that I upgraded both my kids' computers to the Radeon 6850 and they only have a 300W power supply. I didn't even realize I needed to upgrade that (not so smart on my end it looks like). However, theirs have been running great for a year now playing games like Skyrim and Battlefield 3. What kind of problems can that cause?

Thanks for letting me know!

ohlook

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the replies! I think I have decided to wait and just get a new computer in the coming month or two. As for the two computers with the 300w power supply, I'll be looking to get those upgraded soon as well. I didn't realize what it could do so I appreciate you all letting me know. I sure don't want a fire!

TRENDING THREADS