I would like to get a motherboard upgrade what is the best option

elvos

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,

I want to get another video card if needed It with physx in several games i play and just for extra graphics power and processing

Is it possible to get Gtx and Radeon HD series cards together and work with the GTX card useing just physx technology and the radeon hd series card runting the rest.
plus i plan on gettin a around a 40in flat screen TV HDMI that ill use for possibly gameing but mostly blue ray movies and netflix.
right now i have a mother board that alows for only one PCIE x16 graphics card slot i would like to get one that has 2 or more
i dont really have a price range just nothing to Ridiulous

My current computer set up

motherboard AsRock pro3
Video card Radeon HD 7850 gigybte factory OC 975ghz i wanna get anotehr one of these for crossfire or get a GTX card for phyx or get a GTX card for physx and also crossfire a couple of these bad boys if possible
core is a i5 3570k
ram is G.skill two sticks of 4gbs 1600
500gb harddrive 7200rpms
powersupply 600watt corsair Cx600 builder
Case AZZA teledo 301
my temps are 50 celcius to under apsolute load of 59c

if you could help me plz make some suggestions
iam canadian so i would prefer to buy it all in canada

is there any games that get probblems from crossfire graphics bugs or glitches of any kind

My suggestion is to sell the 7850 and replace it with a single stronger Nvidia card.
a 7850 is a fine card and is more marketable than a motherboard.
You would pay $150 or so for a cf capable motherboard, and possibly more for a stronger psu to support three graphics cards.

Yes, some games have problems benefiting from cf, and also there is the possible issue of microstuttering.
Read more about that here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Would a single GTX670 do the job for you, including physx?
My reading says that using amd for graphics and physx is not possible.
Read the last faq here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_faq.html

malbluff

Honorable
As regards motherboard, something like Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, would be suitable, for either SLi or Crossfire, at reasonable cost. Of course, you could go all the way up to a UD5H, an Asus V Pro, or Asrock Extreme 6.
I'm not so sure about mixing Radeon and nVidia, on same board. Sometimes use two different cards, in workstations, so I suppose it's possible, but never tried it. If you want PhysX (and CUDA) then I would have thought you were better to get a decent nVidia, like perhaps GTX 660Ti, or GTX670. You could add a 2nd, in SLi, but either would run most games, at ultra, on your TV, on their own (particularly GTX 670). The GTX 660Ti works well, though, in Sli, and really benefits some games, like BF3.

That's Nvidia FUD. You can use a Nvidia card as a PPU for AMD cards. I gave it a try just a few days ago and it worked without any issues.

TRENDING THREADS