Sign in with
Your question

Moving from AMD Phenom II to INTEL I5

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2012 8:19:42 PM

So i bought a computer at christmas and ive had so many problems with it, first i wanted to change the graphics card then i bought i GTX 560 and this cheap 750w power, then i was playing AC2 and then my computer litterally had sparks coming out the back, so it had to be repaired, then my processor started to go faulty, then pretty much everything except the hardrive and case is dying, so i decided to buy new things for it,
so at the moment my rig contains this:
AMD Phenom II 975 x4 (disabled 4th core due to issues on that core)
GTX 560 Zotac Amp!
4GB DDR3 Memory
1TB HDD Hitachi
Gigabyte M68MT-S2 Micro-ATX motherboard
OCZ ZS Series 650w

and basically i am changing my processor from amd to intel by aiming to get either the i5 2500k or the i5 3570k, to match up with my asrock b75 pro3-m motherboard.
i was thinking about getting the ivybridge rather than the sandybridge as im not doing any overclocking so the ivybridge would run much faster that the sandybridge at stock speeds i have seen on some sites? please verify me on this? also i need ram for this as i want this new system to have some new ram, i was thinking of sticking some corsair vengance ram which seems to be going on offer a lot on some websites such as overclockers uk, where 2 sticks of 4GB (1600mhz) would cost £30-40. so can i have some help on deciding what i will need for my build, thanks for reading. :bounce: 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 8:28:34 PM

If you're not overclocking, don't buy a K edition CPU. They cost more than similarly performing stock models strictly for excellent overclocking support.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
There's a 2x4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V memory kit for less than $40 Canadian dollars.

Fast memory usually doesn't make much of a difference, but with the price being so low, there's little reason to not go for such a kit.

Ivy Bridge is slightly faster than Sandy Bridge at the same core configuration and frequency while using a little less power.
October 12, 2012 8:44:09 PM

thanks for the reply,
the reason for buying a k edition is that in the future i may want to upgrade the motherboard more so it can support overclocking, but for the stock speeds at the moment which processor would be better for gamers, the sb or ib?
Related resources
October 12, 2012 8:45:25 PM

Ivybridge.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 8:48:10 PM

Even non-K editions of the i5s and i7s can overclock by 20-30% or so, so unless you want a significant overclock, the K editions are a waste of money. Do you see yourself breaking 4.5GHz on your CPU in overclocking in the future?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 8:53:18 PM

Redfrog42 said:
oh okies thanks then.
i think i was leaning towards the ivybridge more anyways because of the price difference isnt that much
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP... - i5 2500k
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP... - i5 3570k

there really isnt much price difference, and im english so i cant buy off newegg, but will that ram that you found for me be compatiable with the IB CPU and the motherboard?

Yeah, I'd recommend the Ivy in this situation.

Pretty much any DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 memory kit or better is recommendable, although some brands are often regarded as best avoided. Corsair, G.Skill, Crucial, Patriot, Kingston, and a few others are usually the brands to stick with. It's not even that other brands are necessarily bad, but some motherboards aren't made to be compatible with more obscure brands.
October 12, 2012 8:53:47 PM

to be honest, no i dont, but the price difference between the k and non k version is minuscule, so i thought getting the k edition for a few extra £'s would not be much hassle?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 8:54:08 PM

Redfrog42 said:
to be honest, no i dont, but the price difference between the k and non k version is minuscule, so i thought getting the k edition for a few extra £'s would not be much hassle?

I suppose.
October 12, 2012 9:00:14 PM

Thanks blazorthon you have helped me a lot, could you possibly go on the overclockers.co.uk and find me out some examples of either kingston or corsair ram for me to go with? bare in mind i have a red led lighted case :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 1:51:27 PM

Going by price and specifications by decent brands, this kit is recommendable:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

However, if you want something less gray and more red, this is the best that I could find with proper specifications:
It's more orange than red IMO, but it's what I could find (which is surprising because there's usually a lot of red modules). I'll keep looking.

a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 1:56:39 PM

Okay, I found something that is cheaper, faster, and much more red than the second link in my above post. However, unlike that kit, this one is not low profile, so its still something of a trade off for red heat spreaders.

This kit is much cheaper than the above link and is even faster than it, but it has a black and red heatspreader design. Maybe you'll prefer it, IDK.

EDIT: Don't forget, RAM speed generally isn't very important, I'm just making note of it with these modules because it's one of the few ways to compare them other than the capacity, price, and cooling.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 2:25:43 PM

Good luck with the i5. I'm just suprised you had so much trouble. I've done many builds, pretty much AMD chips exclusively AMD chips, and have only seen one chip bad, which was an older chip anyway, the heatsink used on the chip didn't cover all of the chip, and the chip slowly cooked itself.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 3:17:32 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Good luck with the i5. I'm just suprised you had so much trouble. I've done many builds, pretty much AMD chips exclusively AMD chips, and have only seen one chip bad, which was an older chip anyway, the heatsink used on the chip didn't cover all of the chip, and the chip slowly cooked itself.

Sparks flying sounds more like a PSU/motherboard issue than a CPU failure IMO. I doubt that the CPU was the problem.
October 15, 2012 6:05:20 PM

Thanks blazorthon and everyone else for replying with such haste!

i cant go higher than 1600mhz for 2 reasons
1. it will be to hot for my case since i am in a hot room and they wont last as long.
2. the processor im getting (i5 3570k only supports DDR3 1333/1600/1600+ MHz), 1600+ i am bit unsure of but im sure that it will work best with just 1600, also for the games i will be playing i wouldnt need any higher? so thanks but the G.skill ares looks really good im gonna have a look at more reviews for those :D  do you possibly no of any "ripjaws ram" that runs on 1600mhz dual channel (2x4GB) just my brother said those are the ram sticks that most gamers get? i want to see if thats true xD
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 6:26:07 PM

Redfrog42 said:
Thanks blazorthon and everyone else for replying with such haste!

i cant go higher than 1600mhz for 2 reasons
1. it will be to hot for my case since i am in a hot room and they wont last as long.
2. the processor im getting (i5 3570k only supports DDR3 1333/1600/1600+ MHz), 1600+ i am bit unsure of but im sure that it will work best with just 1600, also for the games i will be playing i wouldnt need any higher? so thanks but the G.skill ares looks really good im gonna have a look at more reviews for those :D  do you possibly no of any "ripjaws ram" that runs on 1600mhz dual channel (2x4GB) just my brother said those are the ram sticks that most gamers get? i want to see if thats true xD

1. Not true. The voltage is more important than the frequency and these are all still 1.5V. Besides, they've all got good heat spreaders too.
2. The CPU doesn't determine memory performance support, the motherboard does. Intel lists DDR3-1600 for many Ivy CPUs, but that listing is meaningless. Going higher will not matter much at all in general aming performance, but with these prices, it most certainly doesn't hurt. I know of Ripjaws, but I'm having trouble finding any in that link that you gave me. That reputation that you seem to have heard of is kinda wrong.

They are very popular, but any claim that the majority buys them would only be substantiated by there being far more different Ripjaws kits than most others right now. On a per-kit basis, they are still often very popular, but not really more so than some of the other popular kits, if at all. I'll look again to see if I can find any for you in your link, but I haven;t seen any yet and I've looked a few times specifically for them because they're color matches your request.
October 15, 2012 7:03:57 PM

hey its fine, i was looking at those orange ones and i like the look of them im probably gonna get those :D 
October 15, 2012 7:10:45 PM

one thing, can i overclock with this motherboard?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 7:14:21 PM

no you cant
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 7:15:17 PM

I think that your board supports Turbo overclocking, but it does not supper multiplier overclocking.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 8:05:46 PM

OCZ used to make good power supplies at one time, see a lot of them refurbed at Microcenter lately though. Personally I like Cooler Master, though some argue there are others out there are better.
October 15, 2012 8:10:17 PM

mine is pretty good power supply had it for months now its fine :D  and tbf overclocking isnt an issue tbf, im not an overclocker
October 17, 2012 4:05:26 PM

okay i was looking at some more ram today and saw this
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-150v

i saw corsair so i was like okay good make, then i was starting to see vengeance, then i saw the speeds then i saw its in blacks finish, so this would be perfect for my motherboard as it comes with great speeds, with a nice colour.

anybody got this or could tell me whether its good or not, cause its a nice price for ram
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2012 4:12:49 PM

Redfrog42 said:
okay i was looking at some more ram today and saw this
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-150v

i saw corsair so i was like okay good make, then i was starting to see vengeance, then i saw the speeds then i saw its in blacks finish, so this would be perfect for my motherboard as it comes with great speeds, with a nice colour.

anybody got this or could tell me whether its good or not, cause its a nice price for ram

That's a good kit. If you like it, then you could buy it without any issues.
October 17, 2012 5:20:06 PM

yay :D 
!