Curious problem: All Graphics run Slow Motion (PNY GeForce 9600GT)

I have a curious problem that the internet so far has not cracked. All 3D-accelerated graphics (not DirectX specifically) run in slow motion. Framerate is about 2/3. Everything from complicated cutscenes in LA Noire to the window animations in Explorer will run at this slow rate. Team Fortress 2 however won't go slo-mo, but it does drop frames constantly. It drives me insane - and naturally causes audio synching problems.

I'm running a reasonably up-to-date setup (see below), but my card is a bit older: PNY GeForce 9600GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory. I've never had trouble with it before, and while I intend on upgrading long-term, its served my purposes fine so far.

Some inspection with GPU-Z tells me all my card's processing frequency's (i.e. core, memory, shader) are all at 0MHz. Which is odd.

I originally was using the latest nVidia drivers, but then rolled back to Microsoft's 2009 drivers. Briefly fixed the problem, but now it's come back. And here I am.

AMD Phenom x4 965 @ 3.4 GHZ (stock)
Suntec 680 Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard.
8GB Corsair Vengeance memory, Unganged
PNY GeForce 9600GT w/ 512MB
3 answers Last reply
More about curious problem graphics slow motion geforce 9600gt
  1. How old is the card? It might be time to put the 9600GT out to pasture.
  2. Or shove it in the oven......
  3. Discovered cause of the problem: AMD's Cool & Quiet CPU throttler was causing a massive bottleneck and basically excommunicating the video card. Disabled it in BIOS, and now everything works perfectly. I don't get why they even enable throttling on desktops...
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics