Sign in with
Your question

Planetside 2 Vet needs to upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2012 3:03:34 AM

Hey Gang. New to the site and I love it. Trying to figure out what I can upgrade to so I can run Planetside 2 more efficiently. I am on the Beta now and it looks like it would be fun, but my graphics are laggy and juttered. Here is what I have now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229208&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Intel H55 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 760 (2.8 GHz)
ATI Radeon 5450
4 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333

My Power supply will definately need to be upped as I am at 400 now. And I think the RAM can be upped too. But now sure on the Graphics card or the main processor. Hoping someone can validate me and point me in the right direction./

Thanks again Team!

McGeedis

More about : planetside vet upgrade

a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 3:11:46 AM

Do you have a specific budget you'd like to stay under? That'd help us a lot. Apart from that, I'd say you could still work with that i5, although it's about on par with a Phenom II X4 965. Your video card and PSU could definitely use an upgrade though. 4GB of RAM is still sufficient, although it certainly won't hurt to move to 8GB, but you'll have to replace both DIMMs since your motherboard only has two slots.
August 20, 2012 3:19:51 AM

Thanks for asking! I didn't even think of that!

I am reasonable. I'd like to think I could get a new graphics card, power source and memory for less than $350 (unless I am crazy). The PC is over 2 years old and, if I remember correctly, that is about the right price to pay bi-annually to keep a pc fresh.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 3:39:29 AM

Sure, $350's plenty to work with. You won't be looking at top-of-the-line equipment, but you'll be able to get some great units:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk.III 600W - $94 before rebates, $74 after. Great build quality, quiet, modular, and efficient.
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3-1600 - $45, low profile, 1.5V.
XFX Radeon 6870 - $175 before shipping, $145 after. Assuming none of your rebates work, this'll put you up to $315 and still give you great performance. However, if you're willing to trust some of these rebates/extend your budget a little bit...
HIS IceQ X Radeon 7850 - $240, this will give you noticeably better performance than a 6870, as well as draw less power. This one'll put you at about $380 without any rebates, $360 after.

Edit: I should append this with the disclaimer that you'll be happy with either card over your 5450 - its performance is absolutely eclipsed by the 6870's.
August 20, 2012 4:17:41 AM

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know how high I could go. I have really lost my touch with the new PCI Express cards versus AGP. The big thing I was stuck on I guess was the i5 pinset and getting that mixed up with the graphics card type.

And thanks for the link. Had no idea how bad the 5450 is/was.
!