Budget Office Computer help request

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hey all, I got an interesting request to build a cheap budget computer. Computer will be used mainly for MS Office, internet surfing , listening to music and maybe to watch some movie, multitasking... :D The important thing is reliability and endurance ->it is for professional use (probably more pieces will be bought, with Windows 7 or windows 8).

I won't even specify the price range: As low as it goes, but without bad quality stuff!!

Old configuration: CPU: AMD Athlon64X2 4400; Graphic:Gigabyte NV 8600GT; RAM:patriot 2x1GB DDR2 800; HDD: WD Caviar 320GB SataII 16MB, PSU:LC Power LC6550G v.20(24pin) 550W; Asus M2N-E,nForce Ultra 570; some budget Case, optical drive, LCD, Keyboard, mouse

The biggest reason to upgrade is because the system is not the most stable anymore. So the short term goal is cheapest thing possible, if able using the old parts, long term is that the systems are reliable and will be OK to use as long as possible.

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I left that part: I was thinking in the lines of B75 Mobo and i3 Ivy Bridge, but maybe sandy bridge would be better value or some AMD setup I'm not familiar with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k8Vy -Asus is my personal favourite. Didn't read reviews any other B75 mobo better choice? Case, PSU, HDD and other would be reusable. I know PSU is not best, but I think this setup really doesn't need much power, also intel HD 2500 should handle movies or other Office stuff, so no need for even 8600GT or HD4000 as equivalent. 1x4GB and can be upgradable.

It should be way better than old configuration right?

abbadon_34

Distinguished
"The biggest reason to upgrade is because the system is not the most stable anymore. So the short term goal is cheapest thing possible, if able using the old parts, long term is that the systems are reliable and will be OK to use as long as possible."

cheap and easy: reformat your current system first and see if the fixes the stability

if not, don't diagnose, proceed with i3 as above + old parts