• Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Geforce
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2012 4:15:11 AM

Hi guys,

I have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, It currently has 2x nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E running SLI with one of those bridges,

What i want to know is can i put in a standard PCI-e card in here? What will it do for the graphics, Also can i put in another card thqats different that is also SLI as in 1x 6600 GT and 1x GeForce 8600GTS 256MB?

I know this question is probably a silly one but thanks in advance for anyone's help!

More about : question mothboard sli standard pcie

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:45:37 AM

"What i want to know is can i put in a standard PCI-e card in here?"

No, they have to be "SLI" capable. Unless they are software driven SLI. (search it up)

"Also can i put in another card thqats different that is also SLI as in 1x 6600 GT and 1x GeForce 8600GTS 256MB?"

You can not. They have to be the same model, with the same ammout of VRAM.

a c 162 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 4:46:12 AM

1) SLI is an NVidia Geforce technology. No AMD/ATI cards will work in an SLI configuration.
2) Crossfire is an AMD/ATI technology. No NVidia cards will work in a Crossfire configuration.
3) An SLI setup is based on two identical Geforce cards. You cannot mix and match two different cards such as the Geforce 6600GT and the 8600GTS
4) A Crossfire setup is based on two similar (not necessarily identical) Radeon cards. Cards that you can set up in a Crossfire Configuration are listed on this chart.
5) The motherboard you have is an SLI only motherboard. While you can run a single AMD/ATI graphics card, you cannot run two AMD Radeon cards in Crossfire with your motherboard.

So in answer to your questions:

Quote:

What i want to know is can i put in a standard PCI-e card in here?

Yes, any single, standard PCI-E graphics card will work with this motherboard.
Quote:
What will it do for the graphics

That is going to depend on the card you install and what power supply is in your systems. Given you current set-up, I'd say that any modern, mid-level graphics card would out perform your current set up.
Quote:
Also can i put in another card thqats different that is also SLI as in 1x 6600 GT and 1x GeForce 8600GTS 256MB?

No. Since your board is SLI only, you must use two identical NVidia Geforce cards.

Note: When I say identical cards, I mean the same model number, but not necessarily the same manufacturer. As an example, you could use and EVGA GTX660Ti and an XFX GTX660Ti in an SLI set up.

-Wolf sends

3)
August 20, 2012 5:59:34 AM

Thanks guys, This has helped me decide what card i am going to put in, I am going with a single card for now, 1gb PCIe x16.

Thanks again for your help!
August 28, 2012 10:11:17 PM

Hi guys, i brought myself a gigabyte r485mc-1gh and its just giving me beeps when i turn it on, No post nothing happens but it gives a long beep and 3 short i think it is.
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 11:08:49 PM

Did you connect a 6-pin power connector from your power supply unit to your graphics card?
August 29, 2012 2:16:14 AM

Yeah i did, Any other ideas?
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 3:10:29 AM

The manual should be able to give you an idea of what the beeps mean.
August 29, 2012 9:32:19 AM

Maybe the beeps are because the power supply is too small? i got a 400w?
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 9:41:28 AM

There's a lot of possibilities, check with your manufactures manual or support site.
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 12:26:08 PM

Do you have a possibility to check whether the card is alive (aka not dead)? Like trying it in another PC?
September 1, 2012 8:48:06 PM

I might have to call upon a friend to let me use his pc as i have only 1 pc at this stage, 2 laptops though :p  Thanks guys for your help, when i get a chance to test it in a mates pc i will post here my results!
!