• Power Supplies
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 25, 2013 7:14:28 AM

Hi,

If anyone would like to help me?

I want to replace my current CPU with AMD FX 8350, would I need to upgrade my current PSU as well?

CPU: AMD FX 4100 @ 3.6
MOBO: Asus M5A99X Evo
GPU: MSI TF3 7950 Boost Edition
PCI Sound card (internal): Asus Xonar D1
RAM: 2X4GB Corsair Veng
HDD: WD Black 750GB
PSU: GS500 Corsair

My current PSU - http://www.corsair.com/us/gaming-series-gs500-80-plus-c...

Also, would I see any real FPS increase in games?

Many thanks,
Leftza

More about : psu cpu

a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 7:20:32 AM

Your PSU is fine. It's won't impact your gaming. Worst case a very poor psu might crash the game or incinerate the computer, but no FPS change (:
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 25, 2013 7:24:19 AM

Yous should be able to run just with your current PSU and yes you should see fps increases in most games esp cpu heavy ones

Your PSU can output 468W on the 12v rail while your entire system will draw only about 350-400W on the 12v

The 7950 will also throttle itself if not enough power is provided to it AFAIK (happened to a friend with dual 7970's on a 600W psu, switching to a 1000w psu resulted in higher fps)
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2013 7:31:03 AM

abbadon_34 said:
Your PSU is fine. It's won't impact your gaming. Worst case a very poor psu might crash the game or incinerate the computer, but no FPS change (:

I think you misinterpreted the question a little bit.

The OP is asking if they will need a new psu if they upgrade their cpu and if that cpu will increase fps at all.

That psu will be perfectly fine if you upgrade.
As to if it will help with gaining fps will depend on what game i believe, how ever piledriver is much better optimized compared to bulldozer so you will see some improvements across the board.

Also if you want to save a few bucks get the FX8320, it is basically the same except for a multiplier increase which can be easily changed in the bios.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 7:33:58 AM

Ohhhhh...yes...lol (:
m
l
February 25, 2013 7:46:28 AM

Ah, ok great!

Thanks a lot guys!

:D 
m