Updating components

soline

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
hello! Im a total rookie when it comes to building computers and whatnot.

My computer is fairly old and im planning on buying this:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Socket-1155
Processor: Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL8

First question, will this all work together?
Second question, will this work with a 550 watt power supply and a AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series GPU
Third question, will I be able to stream World of Warcraft without lag if this all goes together?

Thanks

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Hello! Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

To Answer your questions:
1. Yes!
2. Yes! However, may we know what PSU you plan on using? Most beginners skimp out on the Power supply and buy a really cheap one that advertises high output but are in fact really inefficient and unreliable which is NOT good for the computer whatsoever. If the PSU is unreliable and fails, the computer fails, so be sure to get a reliable one (we can help you pick a good one)
3. Depends, you'll be able to run WoW on highest graphics, but its all going to come down to your internet. If your internet is slow, the game will be slow, else, the computer should handle everything just fine.

I want to make a few more points:

You are using older computer hardware (released last year) and new ones have come out, which would be faster and more efficient.
The CPU, the i5 2500k is a Sandy Bridge CPU running @ 95W (it's a fabulous CPU, i have it) but the newer Intel i5 3570k is only $10 more expensive and is the new Ivy bridge, which is faster and less power hungry:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Newer graphics cards have also been released, the AMD's 7000s series and the Nvidia 600 series, both of which are probably better performing than a 6900 graphics card at the same price range.
Check them out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600286767%204019&IsNodeId=1&name=%24300%20-%20%24400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600315498%204019&IsNodeId=1&name=%24300%20-%20%24400

soline

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the answer!

I probably didnt make this clear but the power supply and the graphics card is already in the computer!

The power supply has been running in the computer for a good 3-4 years and on the "box" it sais Corshair VX550W.

The graphics card was bought about a year ago and im not planning on upgrading it since im assuming its still able to run most of the games out there and highly likely WoW?

Thanks

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

Oh yeah, definitely! The requirements for WoW can be found here and as you can see, the parts that you will get along with the radeon card is more than enough to play WoW on the highest settings. You probably won't find problems playing any modern games at all! The power supply is also good, very reliable and from a trusted company.
All you really have to do is decide whether you want to go with a the more efficient, but slightly more expensive, i5 3570k or the cheaper, i5 2500k.

Also if you were considering adding another radeon graphics card in the future for CFX setup, you should consider a motherboard that is capable of CFX, such as the
ASUS P8Z77-V LK
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LK/
or the ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/

soline

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I will probably go with the processor that you told me about if you say so, that little money for a big difference is nothing I wanna miss out on. However I wonder that the upsides on having double graphic cards is if im only planning on playing World of Warcraft and other non "high-requiring" games.

Thanks

soline

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Oh and btw, would I have to get a new case when i get all these components? My case only has 2 fans right now excluded the ones for the gpu and cpu, is that enough?

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

It depends on the case actually. You really don't have to worry about the number of fans in a case, they really do not dramatically change your computer. You should, however, consider the space in the case and the form factors supported. Since your case is already supporting your Radeon graphics card, the space should be no issue. Just make sure the case supports the ATX form factor.

As for the double graphics cards: If you do not plan on using the computer for games other than WoW, then you're correct, another graphics card would be a waste, however, some more graphically demanding games can utilize the other graphics card.

soline

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
How do I check if it does? And also is that motherboard a good choice? It was fairly cheap and I dont really have knowledge about any of this stuff!

soline

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Bump, I've put all this stuff together now and I can only run wow smooth on fair graphics, taking that into consideration Im pretty sure I wont be able to stream or even close to it. Do you find this strange? I have all the latest drivers for my gpu etc..