HD 5770 - Do I need to upgrade or is it just dying?

I've been playing DayZ and I have been lagging quite a bit on it. Everything feels choppy. And on Skyrim and Diablo 3, I get some small FPS drops on those games. Also, anytime I play a game my fans just get super loud. Looking at System Requirement Lab, I have the recommended setup for these games.

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Power Supply: Corsair TX650w
Mobo: Asus M4A78 Series

One guy said it could be a temperature problem, seeing how my GPU goes up to the low 90's (Celsius).

I asked this on another forum, but I just want more input, thanks!

These are my temperatures.
http://imgur.com/4QYLT
9 answers Last reply
More about 5770 upgrade dying
  1. The low 90's is pretty hot for that card. I mean you could definitely go for an upgrade, but you might just need to lower your settings, especially on DayZ, and maybe use MSI Afterburner to change the fan speed settings.
  2. Okay I fixed the temperature issue by dusting the GPU and then opening it up to replace the thermal paste. The default thermal paste looked like it was poorly spread. My GPU now idles at around 38-42 C and on games at around 50-60 C. On Furmark it hit around 60 C after running it for a few mins.
  3. bruceie bruce said:
    Okay I fixed the temperature issue by dusting the GPU and then opening it up to replace the thermal paste. The default thermal paste looked like it was poorly spread. My GPU now idles at around 38-42 C and on games at around 50-60 C. On Furmark it hit around 60 C after running it for a few mins.

    Does the lag persist?
  4. Merueth said:
    Does the lag persist?



    It does unfortunately, for DayZ at least, but it doesn't run as choppy as it used to. I lowered the 3d res and it doesn't lag anymore.
  5. bruceie bruce said:
    It does unfortunately, for DayZ at least, but it doesn't run as choppy as it used to. I lowered the 3d res and it doesn't lag anymore.

    Have you overclocked the 5770?
  6. Merueth said:
    Have you overclocked the 5770?



    I have graphics overdrive enabled. Should I do it manually?
  7. bruceie bruce said:
    I have graphics overdrive enabled. Should I do it manually?

    I would think that the heat is the problem, but since it seems that it isn't you may want to see if anything changes after turning overdrive off.
  8. Well DayZ is pretty demanding. I cant even run it on the highest graphics on my setup.
  9. how did you dust it
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics