Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PING Group - Intro/hello

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 11:45:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.

rgds

Ken Ellis

More about : ping group intro

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:04:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote in
news:8asfo0tu97lc422r91duler2rlc8joa1nk@4ax.com:

> Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>
> rgds
>
> Ken Ellis

Hi Ken. The group is very young. It will pick up. :-)

--
Bill
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 3:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:<8asfo0tu97lc422r91duler2rlc8joa1nk@4ax.com>...
> Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.


Hi Ken,

New NG. It'll take time to develop critical mass. What's your
interest? Got a camera? Lenses? etc?

Cheers,
Alan
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 6, 2004 2:55:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:45:09 GMT, Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com>
wrote:

>Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.

It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
require following 4 newsgroups.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>
>rgds
>
>Ken Ellis
>
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 10:28:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roger wrote:
[]
> It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
> require following 4 newsgroups.

... and it should be easier still in a few months time when all the DSLR
stuff is together! Just give it time.

Cheers,
David
November 6, 2004 8:00:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:28:24 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>[]
>> It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>> require following 4 newsgroups.
>
>.. and it should be easier still in a few months time when all the DSLR
>stuff is together! Just give it time.

Many of us follow the groups to help the newbies. Having multiple
groups makes it more difficult for them and it means those who have
the experience have to follow more groups... or do a lot of cross
posting as the basics are pretty much the same regardless of camera
type.

It's far easier to weed out the chaff on one newsgroup than 4. Now
the kibitzers have 4 forums and it means having to filter 4 instead of
one.

Then again, if you spend as many hours on computers a day as I, you
find it much more convenient to combine things... up to a point.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>
>Cheers,
>David
>
November 6, 2004 8:02:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:28:24 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>[]
>> It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>> require following 4 newsgroups.
>
>.. and it should be easier still in a few months time when all the DSLR
>stuff is together! Just give it time.
>
One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
seen this post in the other group as "Ping" is one of the nonsensical
key words on which I filter.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>Cheers,
>David
>
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:13:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roger wrote:
[]
> One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
> seen this post in the other group as "Ping" is one of the nonsensical
> key words on which I filter.

Completely agree! I don't want people groping my internet packets!

(http://www.ping127001.com/pingpage.htm)

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:17:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roger wrote:
[]
> Many of us follow the groups to help the newbies. Having multiple
> groups makes it more difficult for them and it means those who have
> the experience have to follow more groups... or do a lot of cross
> posting as the basics are pretty much the same regardless of camera
> type.

But taking that argument to its logical conclusion end up with just one
newsgroup for all subjects!

> It's far easier to weed out the chaff on one newsgroup than 4. Now
> the kibitzers have 4 forums and it means having to filter 4 instead of
> one.

I find the signal-to-noise ratio here much better that on r.p.d. Heck,
there seem to be 500+ postings to that group per day. No multiple filters
on my newsreader - settings are global.

> Then again, if you spend as many hours on computers a day as I, you
> find it much more convenient to combine things... up to a point.

Maybe you can find newsreader software which allows you to alias multiple
newsgroups into one?

Now that the new groups exist, I think we should try and make the best use
of them.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in
news:2v60gmF2e58puU1@uni-berlin.de:

> I find the signal-to-noise ratio here much better that on r.p.d.
> Heck, there seem to be 500+ postings to that group per day. No
> multiple filters on my newsreader - settings are global.

There is nearly no traffic here - so the signal is very low.

A very fast scan of subjects tells me the the signal to noise
ratio actually is lower here - just as expected when the signal
is low :) 

I find 7 OT threads, out of 16. That is nearly 50% noise.

In the latest 16 threads in rec.photo.digital only one is OT,
which is less than 7% noise.

This is of course too little statistics for any kind of
conclusions. I am just trying to say that your statement about
a better S/N here is not true. Or - there is at least not
enough statistics to say that the S/N here is either better
or worse.



/Roland
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roland Karlsson wrote:
[]
> This is of course too little statistics for any kind of
> conclusions. I am just trying to say that your statement about
> a better S/N here is not true. Or - there is at least not
> enough statistics to say that the S/N here is either better
> or worse.

Well, I see nothing about elections on the other side of the world or
similar stuff. We seem to be decreasing the S/N, so let's end it!

David
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:07:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in news:2v6b3hF2hgsd0U1
@uni-berlin.de:

> Well, I see nothing about elections on the other side of the world or
> similar stuff. We seem to be decreasing the S/N, so let's end it!

OK - what about the topic "Kerry's military record, why so late?"
At least I have that thread in this group.

BTW ... did you really read what I wrote?
The noise is larger in rec.photo.digital - yes.
But the S/N is better - as it is much more signal.


/Roland
November 8, 2004 1:14:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:17:41 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>[]
>> Many of us follow the groups to help the newbies. Having multiple
>> groups makes it more difficult for them and it means those who have
>> the experience have to follow more groups... or do a lot of cross
>> posting as the basics are pretty much the same regardless of camera
>> type.
>
>But taking that argument to its logical conclusion end up with just one
>newsgroup for all subjects!

Not at all.

My English prof used to say there is such a thing as defining
something too narrow/specific or too wide.

In either case you lose utility.

>
>> It's far easier to weed out the chaff on one newsgroup than 4. Now
>> the kibitzers have 4 forums and it means having to filter 4 instead of
>> one.
>
>I find the signal-to-noise ratio here much better that on r.p.d. Heck,

That is only due to the auto posters not having set it up yet.

>there seem to be 500+ postings to that group per day. No multiple filters
>on my newsreader - settings are global.
>
I use the global settings on Agent, but when it comes to the kibitzers
they change just enough it doesn't get them on each group.

They will be here eventually as they find so many who are willing to
respond/complain..

>> Then again, if you spend as many hours on computers a day as I, you
>> find it much more convenient to combine things... up to a point.
>
>Maybe you can find newsreader software which allows you to alias multiple
>newsgroups into one?

Agent is handy but then it'd have to also cross post all the answers.

>
>Now that the new groups exist, I think we should try and make the best use
>of them.

The problem of making the best of them is they are not the equal of
the one. Go back and total the posts in all 4 compared to the one.
You've lost a lot of newbies and made it more difficult for them.
After all it's the newbies who *usually* need the help<:-))

Take care,

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>
>Cheers,
>David
>
November 8, 2004 1:32:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Ken Ellis" <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:8asfo0tu97lc422r91duler2rlc8joa1nk@4ax.com...
> Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>
> rgds
>
> Ken Ellis
>
>
My ISP finally picked up this group, so I'll be here.

George
November 8, 2004 1:39:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 07:13:06 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>[]
>> One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
>> seen this post in the other group as "Ping" is one of the nonsensical
>> key words on which I filter.
>
>Completely agree! I don't want people groping my internet packets!
>
>(http://www.ping127001.com/pingpage.htm)
>
I was a sys admin in another life. <:-)) Still have 4 computers
through a switch and router although I have been using this one as a
gateway temporarily.


I keep all my photography (from scans and digital cameras) on two of
the computers. They back-up to a third and I keep original photos
uncompressed, or in RAW and scans on two DVDs. So far I'm up to 70
some DVDs X 2 and have a few thousand more negatives to scan.
I've shot close to 6,000 images so far this year with the D70 with an
average size of 6 megs. Only after everything is backed up do I edit.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>Cheers,
>David
>
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:25:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 5 Nov 2004 12:50:01 -0800, alan1browne@hotmail.com (Alan Browne)
wrote:

>Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:<8asfo0tu97lc422r91duler2rlc8joa1nk@4ax.com>...
>> Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>
>
>Hi Ken,
>
>New NG. It'll take time to develop critical mass. What's your
>interest? Got a camera? Lenses? etc?
>
>Cheers,
>Alan

Hi Alan... amateur landscape i'd say..more or less. I use a sony f707
which i just repaired by letting the wind blow over the tripod on a
lake shore. Gusty! Sony wanted $450 to fix it.

Am shopping for a 20D but nobody has the kit in stock( with the 18-55
lens). When i get that; will have the 10-whatever "s" canon wide
angle. Waiting waiting waiting. I wonder if canon is trying to push
the rebels at the expense of the 20d's.

How about you?

rgds

Ken
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:26:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:55:33 -0500, Roger
<Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:45:09 GMT, Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>
>It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>require following 4 newsgroups.
>
>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>www.rogerhalstead.com
>>
>>rgds
>>
>>Ken Ellis
>>
Hey Roger!

Ken
November 9, 2004 3:26:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:26:32 GMT, Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:55:33 -0500, Roger
><Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:45:09 GMT, Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>>
>>It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>>require following 4 newsgroups.
>>
>>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>>www.rogerhalstead.com
>>>
>>>rgds
>>>
>>>Ken Ellis
>>>
>Hey Roger!

Ah is here... I changed from DSL to cable and it took a while to get
the kinks out. I still use the same web hosting, but I now get the
newsgroups through the cable supplier.

With 4 computers on a gigabit network through a switch and Internet
access through one serving as a gateway to the cable.

However just to liven things up and lighten the load on the one
computer I'm adding a router/firewall between the cable and switch so
the other computers do not have to use the one as a gateway.

I had a download running through DSL that said over 6 1/2 hours left.
I pulled the cat 5e cable out, plugged it into the cable modem and
within 3 minutes the download said there was about 30 minutes left.
To top it off it saves me about $100 a month.

With the D-70 I shoot about 40 gigs a year. (Maybe a bit more) The
gigabit network really drops the time to back up the images. Now if
it'd just speed up the backups to DVD<sigh>

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com


>
>Ken
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:28:24 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>[]
>> It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>> require following 4 newsgroups.
>
>.. and it should be easier still in a few months time when all the DSLR
>stuff is together! Just give it time.
>
>Cheers,
>David
>
Helloooo David.

Ken
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:27:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 7 Nov 2004 10:12:28 GMT, Roland Karlsson
<roland_dot_karlsson@bonetmail.com> wrote:

>"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in
>news:2v60gmF2e58puU1@uni-berlin.de:
>
>> I find the signal-to-noise ratio here much better that on r.p.d.
>> Heck, there seem to be 500+ postings to that group per day. No
>> multiple filters on my newsreader - settings are global.
>
>There is nearly no traffic here - so the signal is very low.
>
>A very fast scan of subjects tells me the the signal to noise
>ratio actually is lower here - just as expected when the signal
>is low :) 
>
>I find 7 OT threads, out of 16. That is nearly 50% noise.
>
>In the latest 16 threads in rec.photo.digital only one is OT,
>which is less than 7% noise.
>
>This is of course too little statistics for any kind of
>conclusions. I am just trying to say that your statement about
>a better S/N here is not true. Or - there is at least not
>enough statistics to say that the S/N here is either better
>or worse.
>
>
>
>/Roland

Hello roland. Will try for an ot thread

Ken
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:28:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:32:42 -0500, "George" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
wrote:

>
>"Ken Ellis" <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>news:8asfo0tu97lc422r91duler2rlc8joa1nk@4ax.com...
>> Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>>
>> rgds
>>
>> Ken Ellis
>>
>>
>My ISP finally picked up this group, so I'll be here.
>
>George
>

Hey George

Ken
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:32:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> I find the signal-to-noise ratio here much better that on r.p.d.

Amen!

> there seem to be 500+ postings to that group per day. No multiple filters
> on my newsreader - settings are global.

I also prefer having separate groups for separate topics. I also go to
rec.photo.equipment.35mm for info on lenses, lighting, etc...

The r.p.d group has become a cespool of trolls... it was almost unusable.
If you skipped a few of days, there were so many messages backlogged that
you couldn't read them all anyway!

- Harrison
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:23:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

> My English prof used to say there is such a thing as defining
> something too narrow/specific or too wide.
>
> In either case you lose utility.

rec.photo.digital is possibly one of the best examples on all of Usenet of
defining something too widely. It is impossible to follow that group due
to the extremely high volume of posts, almost none of which are of interest
to any particular person.

If you actually like that, then have your newsreader combine all of the new
groups into one virtual newsgroup for you and you'll never need to care that
they are separate groups for other people.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
November 10, 2004 1:47:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:23:22 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
wrote:

>Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:
>
>> My English prof used to say there is such a thing as defining
>> something too narrow/specific or too wide.
>>
>> In either case you lose utility.
>
>rec.photo.digital is possibly one of the best examples on all of Usenet of
>defining something too widely. It is impossible to follow that group due
>to the extremely high volume of posts, almost none of which are of interest
>to any particular person.
>
>If you actually like that, then have your newsreader combine all of the new
>groups into one virtual newsgroup for you and you'll never need to care that
>they are separate groups for other people.

Yah, but then I'd have 'em complaining about the cross posting <:-))

I just skim through the groups looking for posts of interest or the
rare one where I might be able to offer help.

Roger
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:49:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In message <v8moo09813p0kt70097301008q6dt8mjsu@4ax.com>,
Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:45:09 GMT, Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hiyaz all..just pulled this up and will be following.
>
>It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>require following 4 newsgroups.

I don't see the problem ... a decent newsreader will let you read them
all as if they were one, in terms of total article volume. I use the
ancient Forte Agent, and it has cross-post management that shows only
one copy of each cross-posted article, in the first group it picks it up
in.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 7:27:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

>> If you actually like that, then have your newsreader combine all of the new
>> groups into one virtual newsgroup for you and you'll never need to care that
>> they are separate groups for other people.
>
> Yah, but then I'd have 'em complaining about the cross posting <:-))

Followups would go to whatever group the original was posted to, not all of
them.

I honestly have no idea whether Agent has this capability or not, though.
The Unix client I use can do it.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 6:51:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:02:39 -0500, Roger
<Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:28:24 -0000, "David J Taylor"
><david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Roger wrote:
>>[]
>>> It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>>> require following 4 newsgroups.
>>
>>.. and it should be easier still in a few months time when all the DSLR
>>stuff is together! Just give it time.
>>
>One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
>seen this post in the other group as "Ping" is one of the nonsensical
>key words on which I filter.
>
>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>www.rogerhalstead.com
>>Cheers,
>>David
>>
Hi Roger...what better word to use? Also..sounds like you have a good
bak sys for your pics...worth a thought definately. I'm getting to the
point where i'm mulling over what way to bring some order to all this.

Hmm.. would be a good thread = bak up media - longevity and db control
(to organize and find the stuff later). I'm new at this so any input
is useful.

ta

Ken
November 13, 2004 6:51:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:51:58 GMT, Ken Ellis <kenellis@nycap.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:02:39 -0500, Roger
><Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:28:24 -0000, "David J Taylor"
>><david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Roger wrote:
>>>[]
>>>> It was a whole lot easier when this stuff was all together and didn't
>>>> require following 4 newsgroups.
>>>
>>>.. and it should be easier still in a few months time when all the DSLR
>>>stuff is together! Just give it time.
>>>
>>One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
>>seen this post in the other group as "Ping" is one of the nonsensical
>>key words on which I filter.
>>
>>Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
>>(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
>>www.rogerhalstead.com
>>>Cheers,
>>>David
>>>
>Hi Roger...what better word to use? Also..sounds like you have a good
>bak sys for your pics...worth a thought definately. I'm getting to the
>point where i'm mulling over what way to bring some order to all this.
>
>Hmm.. would be a good thread = bak up media - longevity and db control
>(to organize and find the stuff later). I'm new at this so any input
>is useful.

There have been several over the past few years. They usually break
down into arguments as to what is best and some can get quite adamant.
<:-))

For an over view you can try http://www.rogerhalstead.com/scanning.htm
It started out as an article based on scanning the old family photos
as there is a lot of that being done, but the scope expanded into
organization as well as both short and long term storage. It's still
not finished, but is already a good sized article.

There are also some programs available for organizing images.
>
Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>ta
>
>Ken
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 5:25:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Thanks, will give it a look.

rgds

Ken
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:01:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ken Ellis wrote:

> How about you?

Hi again Ken. Sorry for the late reply.

No digital yet. The Maxxum 7D is sorely tempting as I have 6 Maxxum lenses, 5
of which are "pro"... I'm waiting out a better price (post x-mas perhaps) and/or
to see if they go up a notch on resolution.

Cheers,
Alan


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:04:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

CA Widower wrote:

>
> Hello! First off, let me say thank you to whom ever started this group! I

Thad Lipshitz is the hero du jour, with me as his happy go lucky copilot... but
he deserves all the thanks for running the wickets.

> can happily get rid of r.p.d!!! I was tired of combing through 500
> posts/day only to find about 30 that are on-topic and relevant.

In a nutshell that is 98% of the "why" this NG was created.

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:06:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Roger wrote:

> One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
> seen this post in the other group as "P|ng" is one of the nonsensical
> key words on which I filter.

Then you may miss somebody trying to attract your attention for some specific
reason. Or important p!ng pong news.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:00:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Alan Browne wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>
>> One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
>> seen this post in the other group as "P|ng" is one of the nonsensical
>> key words on which I filter.
>
>
> Then you may miss somebody trying to attract your attention for some
> specific reason. Or important p!ng pong news.
>
Nice to see that Comcast has finally added this NG as of a few days ago.

Well done, Thad, Alan et al......

Is there a major diff. between P!NG and PING?

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:20:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

John McWilliams wrote:

> Is there a major diff. between P!NG and PING?

No. As Roger said he filtered on ping, I replied with p!ng...

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:22:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

John McWilliams wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Roger wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I forgot in the other answer... I would normally never have
>>> seen this post in the other group as "P|ng" is one of the nonsensical
>>> key words on which I filter.
>>
>>
>>
>> Then you may miss somebody trying to attract your attention for some
>> specific reason. Or important p!ng pong news.
>>
> Nice to see that Comcast has finally added this NG as of a few days ago.

Videotron are still holding out. But someone found me a nice alternate newsservice.

>
> Well done, Thad, Alan et al......

Thanks, but mainly Thad's doing.

Cheers,
Alan


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
!