Sign in with
Your question

600 dollar build?

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2012 4:31:43 AM

Well my friend has given me 700 dollars in cash and he wants me to build him a computer. suggests me some parts please? a Gaming rig, is what he wants. hes going to play Starcraft II, League of Legends, Skyrim, Crysis, and other games from steam. SO here are some answers i got from him that might put a limitation on the build

1. He will not overclock(he didn't even know what that is)
2. he wants a small SSD(he said he was going to use his old HDD but just add a large HDD if u cant fit a 120gb+ssd)
3. Case size does not matter, as long as its not some huge ass case like the corsair 800d
4. optimal airflow(so add some fans)
5. cable managed
6. able to run games that he plays, skyrim, sc2, LoL, crysis2, etc.
7. LEGAL OS no pirating please....(meaning include windows 7 home premium as part of the build)
8. future proof(?) he wants it so that he doesnt have to upgrade for about 2-3 years.

also i said 600 dollars, but thats because of tax. if the site doesnt require tax like tigerdirect, then make it 700.

that is all :D 

note, its in CA so amazon, ncix and newegg pays tax

More about : 600 dollar build

October 13, 2012 4:57:06 AM

Uhm, if he really wants a budget gaming rig, then he better overclock - it makes everything faster.

For an SSD, get a reliable brand and line - Samsung 830, Intel 520, OCZ vertex 4...

As for a budget case, get a NZXT Gamma Classic and one extra fan for the front.

Cable managed? That has NOTHING to do with the parts you buy... it requires that you manage the cables when you're building it.

When you say able to run games, that's extremely unhelpful... do you want a rig that will run them on lowest settings, or is he thinking that $500 after OS is going to buy him a computer that will rung Crysis 3 on Ultra?

Future proof? That's a lie. There IS no such thing as future proof - a computer will be able to run games 3 years from now, but not at the same settings as it'll run today's settings.
m
l
October 13, 2012 4:57:58 AM

...Unless.

Are you asking for a _prebuilt_ computer? If you are, look at what Falcon offers - they're the only decent enthusiast prebuilts around.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 5:06:56 AM

DarkSable said:
Uhm, if he really wants a budget gaming rig, then he better overclock - it makes everything faster.

For an SSD, get a reliable brand and line - Samsung 830, Intel 520, OCZ vertex 4...

As for a budget case, get a NZXT Gamma Classic and one extra fan for the front.

Cable managed? That has NOTHING to do with the parts you buy... it requires that you manage the cables when you're building it.

When you say able to run games, that's extremely unhelpful... do you want a rig that will run them on lowest settings, or is he thinking that $500 after OS is going to buy him a computer that will rung Crysis 3 on Ultra?

Future proof? That's a lie. There IS no such thing as future proof - a computer will be able to run games 3 years from now, but not at the same settings as it'll run today's settings.

first of all i wanted you to list parts, and cable managing, i put it there so people would list cases with cable managing space. i know how to cable managa. and highest settings at 1080p resolution. or as high as it can go with his budget
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:20:35 AM

If you live near a Microcenter store, they have very good prices on cpus and if you buy AMD cpus withe a motherboard there is a $40 bundle discount on the MB. There is a $50 discount on MB on some Irybridge cpus. Tax is only part on the total cost of a product. The price, shipping and tax make up the total delivered cost. Selection and service and availability also need to be factored in also. Newegg and NCIX and Amazon seem to have the best selection. Amazom has the best return rules. NCIX delivery service can be a pain. They require a adult to sign for the delivery and will not leave the shipment by the door.
m
l
October 13, 2012 9:28:37 AM

Your friend's expectations don't match his budget. An SSD is a luxury in that price range and he's not going to have to settle for a relatively cheap case. Here's a build that comes as close as possible to his gaming performance needs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.41 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.11 @ Amazon)
Total: $655.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Shipping is included in that price, which is after a $20 rebate on the video card. However there is an additional $18 promo code off the video card that pcpartpicker doesn't recognize, and there is a $10 off combo deal for the memory and motherboard. So the price before tax would be a little under $650, which should mean it would be right around $700 with tax. And then there's the $20 rebate.
m
l
October 13, 2012 1:14:27 PM

+1 to lighter17. The demands are a bit too much for a $600 budget that includes OS, which leaves us with ~$500 for the actual build.

Here's my suggestion, I put in the SSD your friend wanted. Tell him to check btw if his current HDD is IDE or SATA to find out if it's compatible with the new build.
The shops and prices are in Canada/ian too.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($95.90 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($178.29 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.81 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $668.44

Went overbudget too, sorry.
m
l
October 13, 2012 1:20:32 PM

Putting my personal opinion here, on a low budget build, AMD is probably the best way to go. I agree with sable, there is no such thing as future proofing in the world of computers.

The 7850 is a beast of a card at this budget, put a good overclock on it, and you can run Crysis 2 and other games fairly well. In the future..? Maybe not so much. I have a 7850 and on stock clocks, I hit around 50fps dx11/hi res textures. Crysis 2 isn't as hard to run as Crysis 1.
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:15:04 PM

excella1221 said:

The shops and prices are in Canada/ian too.

I think when he said he was in CA he meant California. :sol: 

m
l
October 13, 2012 5:22:00 PM

Oh, okay. That would make things a little bit cheaper. :D 

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.11 @ Amazon)
Total: $659.03
m
l
!