Recommend me a better GPU (Cheaper) + Help me to lower Total Price

sktittles

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Here is the GPU I have been planning on getting: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd7850dc22gd5

It is quite expensive and is really increasing my budget by a ton. Can I get a cheaper 7850 with just as good performance as the above card? Can you give me some suggestions please?

HERE is my full build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kaZo

I will mostly be playing WoW, Diablo 3, but not much FPS games on the computer. Infact I probably won't do a ton of gaming besides things like WoW, Diablo 3, and maybe some other games like skyrim. Gaming isn't a huge concern, but I will be doing it.

NOTE: I'd like to possibly lower my total build price by about 50-70 dollars if possible. While still getting the same performance (or as CLOSE as possible). Any suggestions? I might possibly OC, but i'm not really sure. I NEED too have an OS, Keyboard and mouse. Although is a gaming keyboard really worth it?

The 3470 is cheaper then the 3450, but is the 3470 better in terms of performance? Or are they pretty close???

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Should be able to bring the price down quite easily by 50-70. Gaming keyboard is not neccesary just get a standard one and neither is the mouse just get a standard mouse as well. The only real reason I personally consider getting higher end keyboard and mice (myself) is more for comfort reasons and to make sure I have proper wrist support. So just buy one that won't give you problems, "gaming" keyboards are generally just keyboards with lights and programable buttons, if you wanted a cheaper "gaming" keyboard look at multimedia keyboards and reprogram some of the multimedia buttons and it won't include distracting lights.

Now where the other money comes from is by combo deals. That website from a quick glance won't show the combo deals on newegg. Go on it and start adding things to your cart and look at the combo deals. Pick a part like the CPU and add it and look at the deals that are on it and go from there. Will probably take you an additional hour or so to find the deals and proper setup you want but those two things alone will probably save you an easy $150 and still net you the same overall performance.

Edited in:
The 3470 should include a heatsink unless it's OEM which it doesn't appear to be. And if you plan on OC the CPU you really need the K processors for intel to do any meaningful overclock, last I check their more current CPU's will only get around 100mhz OC without it being a K processor.

Oh and videocards which are the same models (and ram, etc) should pretty much be all the same in terms of speed, ignore the factory overclocks in choosing. Overclocking a videocard is actually quite trivia compared to overclocking a CPU. If you really wanted to you can buy the "stock" or cheapest one and be lazy and find the highest factory overclock settings and set it to that and stress test it by using programs such as Furmark to check for artifacts and make sure the heat is within it's limits and your good to go. In fact a few of the manufacturers support overclocking greatly and will include the software for you to do it, so even getting that is quite easy to do, and all it is is sliding a bar or typing in a number and stress testing it. I actually would base my decision on GPU's on who makes it (quality and warrenty), price, and heatsink/fan that is included with it.

sktittles

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Wait you mean NewEgg wont show combo deals their? Or you mean pcpartpicker wont show the combo deals? I have lots of time so, finding a good deal is great!!!! I'd spend hours to save 150 dollars lol

Looking around newegg really quick the combo deals dont seem to be helping as they are random suggestions.

lighter17

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
This takes it down by about $70 from your original build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.11 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM6150 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $742.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

There's an additional $10 off combo deal for the memory and motherboard.

sktittles

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

The mobo you posted from looking at it will allow me to have 2x 7850 graphics cards if I wanted too with no issues correct?

And that mobo cant be OCed right? Not that I will probably OC, but just curious.

Are there any other downsides to this mobo over the one I have choose?

Also the GPU you posted seems to have really bad reviews... Can anyone dismiss this or give me some better insight?

lighter17

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

The H77M supports Crossfire but the second PCIe slot is a 2.0 x4 slot, so the speed of the second video card will be compromised a bit. But FYI the Asrock Z75 motherboard you've included has the same issue.

The i5-3450 is a locked CPU that can't be overclocked, so you don't need a motherboard that allows OCing.

The only significant advantage the Z75 motherboard offers is that it has 4 memory slots instead of 2 on the H77. This would come into play if you ever wanted to add more memory.

What reviews are you talking about? If you're talking about the Newegg customer reviews I see two 1 egg reviews that appear to be left by the same person who had problems and just felt like ranting. Customer reviews are always questionable since in many cases people have problems because of their own stupidity and then decide to blame it on defective parts.

sktittles

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Ah.. well then i'll use the H77 mobo. Thanks. And I was just referring to Newegg, and a few Google searches, but now that you mention it thats probably true. Although it's said the GPU has issues with 3d graphics, maybe that was just that one person. Can't remember now lol.

How much would the video card be compromised? Is it significant? Is it even worth ever adding a second video card? And kind of a dumb question but can you have 2 different GPU's that would work together in a good manner? Such as a radeon 7850 and then like a 7870 down the road?

Also is the extra price for a 3470 worth it? Or should i just keep the 3450 for now? Well I gotta check the total here in a second and then see if I might even go with a 3550 (believe thats what it is.)