Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I'm looking for a new budget graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 20, 2012 10:58:39 AM

I'm stuck between a regular Powercolor HD 6850, Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X, or a Palit GTX 560(non-TI) OC Ed.

The Powercolor and Sapphire are priced exactly the same (around US $150), while the Palit GTX 560 OC costs just $10 more than the two mentioned above. I'm really tight on my budget so, that's as high as I can go.... I'm thinking of going for the 560 but I'm a bit worried about the temperatures of Palit cards as I've heard many complaining about it..

So what do you guys think?? Oh and I have an i5 2500k and an FSP Aurum 80+ Gold 600w PSU which I'm pretty confident about, so no worries about bottlenecking and power consumption; my monitor atm sucks but in the next month or so I'm planning to get a new one with 1920x1080 res, and I play most modern games so I just want the best bang for my bucks with my GPU. Also in case it matters, my board only has one PCIE 2.0 so will the 7770 Vapor X be optimized on just PCIE 2.0? This is the exact board I currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : budget graphics card

Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:39:09 AM

The 560 is the better card. Which model is it exactly you are looking at ?

Mactronix :) 
August 20, 2012 11:40:21 AM

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb [...] ores-mhdmi
Can't afford that^


The only cheap one here is Palit which makes me suspicious of Palit cards ><. Every other GTX 560 non-TI (and those are not OC Ed while the Palit one is OC Ed and is cheaper by a significant amount [$40]) is around $200 or so and I can't stretch my budget(around 160$); it's as far as it goes, and those 3 cards I'm pondering about are the only cards available here that I can afford.....
August 20, 2012 11:46:09 AM

mactronix said:
Thats a Ti model the OP wants a Non Ti card

Mactronix :) 

I just can't afford TI cards, way over my budget. The Palit GTX 560 is OC Ed and is only $10 more than 6850/vapor x 7770, which makes me consider it, I'm just a bit suspicious of the quality since other brands go over $200 with non-TI GTX 560 while this Palit one is OC Ed and is way cheaper
August 20, 2012 11:47:41 AM

goldenboy999 said:
I just can't afford TI cards, way over my budget. The Palit GTX 560 is OC Ed and is only $10 more than 6850/vapor x 7770, which makes me consider it, I'm just a bit suspicious of the quality since other brands go over $200 with non-TI GTX 560 while this Palit one is OC Ed and is way cheaper


dont think this one is ti and it is priced @ 169.99 usd http://www.amazon.com/ENGTX560-DCII-OC-2DI-1GD5/dp/B005...
August 20, 2012 11:48:18 AM

149.99 usd with rebate
August 20, 2012 11:51:00 AM

Oh you thought I live in US, and wow that's pretty good but I can't, I live in SEA I just used US currency for prices since it's the most used currency( I think), and those 3 cards are the only ones available here within my budget ><
August 20, 2012 11:53:25 AM

goldenboy999 said:
Oh you thought I live in US, and wow that's pretty good but I can't, I live in SEA I just used US currency for prices since it's the most used currency( I think), and those 3 cards are the only ones available here within my budget ><

sea?????
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:54:15 AM

Have you checked out a 6870 or is that too much where you are? My vote also goes for the 560.
August 20, 2012 11:54:20 AM

south east Asia?
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:55:14 AM

can you please link me to the palit card you are looking at ?

Mactrionix :) 
August 20, 2012 11:59:12 AM

chrissymoe said:
south east Asia?

Yes XD.

And 6870s go for around $200 here... Otherwise no contest, even I'd go for 6870
August 20, 2012 12:00:21 PM

the Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X is not to bad ether good contender :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:02:05 PM

Then again I would say 560.
August 20, 2012 12:05:37 PM

form the us they deliver to me hear in the uk give it a try
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:11:16 PM

Which SEA? Are you living in a cave that doesn't have any good computer store? :)  :lol: .
August 20, 2012 12:12:38 PM

chrissymoe said:
form the us they deliver to me hear in the uk give it a try


Nah they don't deliver outside Malaysia and Singapore for most products, and some products they don't deliver at all.
August 20, 2012 12:15:49 PM

refillable said:
Which SEA? Are you living in a cave that doesn't have any good computer store? :)  :lol: .


Philippines exactly and yes most things are Overpriced but you can find a pretty ok deal sometimes. XD
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:17:36 PM

Can I look to the prices on there?
August 20, 2012 12:22:38 PM

refillable said:
Can I look to the prices on there?


vga: Asus GTX 560 Ti TOP DirectCu II 1gb/256bit (OC Ed) PHP 10990.00
vga: Asus GTX 560 Ti TOP DirectCu II 2gb/256bit (OC Ed) PHP 11990.00
vga: Asus GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II 2gb/192bit PHP 16999.00
vga: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 20140.00
vga: Asus GTX 680 TOP DirectCU II 2gb/256bit - 8gb usb promo PHP 26950.00
vga: Asus GTX 690 4gb/512bit ddr5 PHP 53000.00
vga: Asus HD 6670 DirectCu Silent 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 3790.00
vga: Asus HD 7770 DirectCU 1gb/128bit PHP 6190.00
vga: Asus HD 7850 DirectCU II 2gb/256bit PHP 11055.00
vga: Asus HD 7870 DirectCU II 2gb/256bit PHP 15530.00
vga: Asus HD 7950 DirectCU II 3gb/384bit PHP 18888.00
vga: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP 3gb/384bit (OC Ed) PHP 21900.00
vga: EVGA GT 630 1gb/128bit PHP 3370.00
vga: EVGA GTX 660 Ti 2gb/192bit ddr5 (Pre-Sell) PHP 16999.00
vga: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 21870.00
vga: EVGA GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 24850.00
vga: EVGA GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 FTW PHP 27040.00
vga: EVGA GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 Supercloked Signature PHP 26310.00
vga: EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked SC 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 26710.00
vga: Gainward GTX 550 Ti Golden Sample 1gb/192bit ddr5 PHP 5480.00
vga: Gainward GTX 560 Ti 448Cores 1gb/320bit PHP 12950.00
vga: Gainward GTX 670 Phantom 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 18450.00
vga: Gainward GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 23690.00
vga: Gainward GTX 680 Phantom 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 26500.00
vga: Gigabyte GT 630 1gb/128bit ddr3 ATX PHP 2840.00
vga: Gigabyte GT 630 2gb/128bit ddr3 ATX PHP 3040.00
vga: Gigabyte GT 640 1gb/128bit ddr3 ATX OC PHP 4740.00
vga: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 1gb/256bit ATX ddr5 OC UD Windforce2x PHP 10470.00
vga: Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti 2gb/192bit ddr5 (Pre-Sell) PHP 16999.00
vga: Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb/256bit ddr5 ATX Winforce3x & inclined Fansink PHP 19860.00
vga: Gigabyte GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 ATX Winforce3x & inclined Fansink PHP 24230.00
vga: Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb/256bit ddr5 ATX OC UD Winforce3x PHP 10450.00
vga: Gigabyte HD 7870 2gb/256bit ddr5 ATX OC UD Winforce3x PHP 15800.00
vga: Inno3d FX5500 256mb/128bit agp PHP 1350.00
vga: Inno3d GF 210 1gb/64bit ddr3 PHP 1280.00
vga: Inno3d GT 220 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 1950.00
vga: Inno3d GT 430 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2320.00
vga: Inno3d GT 430 2gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2640.00
vga: Inno3d GT 440 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2620.00
vga: Inno3d GT 440 2gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 3220.00
vga: Inno3d GT 620 1gb/64bit ddr3 ATX PHP 2110.00
vga: Inno3d GT 630 1gb/128bit ddr5 ATX PHP 3110.00
vga: Inno3d GT 640 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 4320.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 550 Ti 1gb/192bit ddr5 PHP 5370.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 560 Ti 1gb/256bit PHP 8999.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 560 Ti Gamepack 1gb/256bit PHP 9500.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 660 Ti 2gb/192bit ddr5 (Pre-Sell) PHP 14230.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 670 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 16999.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 670 iChill HerculeZ 3000 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 19480.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 21999.00
vga: Inno3d GTX 680 iChill HerculeZ 3000 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 25270.00
vga: MSI GTX 670 Power Edition 2gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 20500.00
vga: MSI HD 7750 Dual fan 1gb/128bit (OC Ed) PHP 6900.00
vga: Palit GF 210 1gb/64bit ddr3 PHP 1280.00
vga: Palit GT 220 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 1950.00
vga: Palit GT 430 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2450.00
vga: Palit GT 430 2gb/126bit ddr3 PHP 2640.00
vga: Palit GT 440 1gb/128bit ddr5 PHP 3510.00
vga: Palit GT 520 1gb/64bit ddr3 PHP 1820.00
vga: Palit GT 630 1gb/128bit ddr5 PHP 3150.00
vga: Palit GT 630 2gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2780.00
vga: Palit GTX 550 Ti 1gb/192bit ddr5 Sonic (OC Ed) PHP 5460.00
vga: Palit GTX 560 1gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 7270.00
vga: Palit GTX 560 Ti 1gb/256bit ddr5 - 8gb usb promo PHP 9550.00
vga: Palit GTX 560 Ti 1gb/256bit ddr5 Sonic (OC Ed) PHP 9840.00
vga: Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstream 2gb/192bit PHP 14670.00
vga: Palit GTX 670 Jetstream 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 18230.00
vga: Palit GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 22690.00
vga: Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 22600.00
vga: Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 4gb/256bit ddr5 (NON OC) PHP 25999.00
vga: Power Color HD 4850 1gb/256bit ddr5 - 8gb usb promo PHP 3160.00
vga: Power Color HD 5570 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2250.00
vga: Power Color HD 5670 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2790.00
vga: Power Color HD 5670 2gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 3100.00
vga: Power Color HD 6570 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 3160.00
vga: Power Color HD 6670 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 3000.00
vga: Power Color HD 6750 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 4520.00
vga: Power Color HD 6790 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 6140.00
vga: Power Color HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 6499.00
vga: Power Color HD 6870 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 8600.00
vga: Power Color HD 7750 1gb/128bit ddr5 - 8gb usb promo PHP 4590.00
vga: Power Color HD 7770 1gb/128bit (Ghz Edition) - 8gb usb promo PHP 5780.00
vga: Power Color HD 7850 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 10620.00
vga: Power Color HD 7850 PCS+ 2gb/256bit ddr5 OC Ed PHP 11400.00
vga: Power Color HD 7870 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 14640.00
vga: Power Color HD 7870 2gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 14950.00
vga: Power Color HD 7950 3gb/384bit PHP 16290.00
vga: Sapphire HD 5450 1gb/64bit ddr3 (Low Profile) PHP 1370.00
vga: Sapphire HD 5570 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2150.00
vga: Sapphire HD 6450 1gb/64bit ddr3 (Low Profile) PHP 1750.00
vga: Sapphire HD 6570 Ultimate 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 3200.00
vga: Sapphire HD 6670 1gb/128bit ddr5 PHP 3590.00
vga: Sapphire HD 6790 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 7220.00
vga: Sapphire HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 7740.00
vga: Sapphire HD 6870 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 8770.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7750 1gb/128bit ddr5 PHP 4700.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate 1gb/128bit PHP 5430.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7770 1gb/128bit PHP 5999.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7770 1gb/128bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 6440.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor X 1gb/128bit (OC Ed) PHP 6600.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7850 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 10990.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7850 2gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 11630.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7870 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 13220.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7870 2gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 13690.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7870 Flex 2gb/256bit ddr5 (4 Screen Eyefinity) PHP 14520.00
vga: Sapphire HD 7950 3gb/384bit PHP 15370.00
vga: Zotac GT 620 Synergy Edition 1gb/64bit ddr3 PHP 2020.00
vga: Zotac GT 620 Synergy Edition 2gb/64bit ddr3 PHP 2360.00
vga: Zotac GT 630 Synergy Edition 1gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2360.00
vga: Zotac GT 630 Synergy Edition 2gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2480.00
vga: Zotac GT 630 Synergy Edition 4gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 2990.00
vga: Zotac GT 640 2gb/128bit ddr3 PHP 4030.00
vga: Zotac GTX 660 Ti 2gb/192bit ddr5 (Pre-Sell) PHP 16150.00
vga: Zotac GTX 670 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 17160.00
vga: Zotac GTX 670 4gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 21050.00
vga: Zotac GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 18880.00
vga: Zotac GTX 680 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 22710.00
vga: Zotac GTX 680 4gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 25720.00
vga: Zotac GTX 680 AMP! Edition 2gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 23680.00

Where US $1 = 42 php
The Palit GTX 560 1gb/256bit ddr5 (OC Ed) PHP 7270.00 = around $160
Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor X 1gb/128bit (OC Ed) PHP 6600.00 =around $150
Power Color HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 6499.00 = around $150

Yeah and most higher-end cards; I can't afford XD
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:23:28 PM

Its cheap because its made cheap.
It has what I would call an egg cooler which means its not a full shroud which means the hot air is not vented out the back of the case.
Most important to note is that IT IS NOT AN OVER CLOCKED CARD. On a technicality it has had the memory very slightly over clocked but nothing that you ever notice on any game or test benchmark. We are talking single figures here.

So basically its a cheaper version of a real 560 which in itself is what it is but its bad that they should try and sell it as an OC version. It will do its job but wont overclock well if at all.
As such I personally would not but this card over a reference 6850. Especially if the 6850 is cheaper.

Mactronix :) 
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:25:29 PM

I would go for the 6850 :) .
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:33:49 PM

Yep, ^ +1.
August 20, 2012 12:36:25 PM

mactronix said:
Its cheap because its made cheap.
It has what I would call an egg cooler which means its not a full shroud which means the hot air is not vented out the back of the case.
Most important to note is that IT IS NOT AN OVER CLOCKED CARD. On a technicality it has had the memory very slightly over clocked but nothing that you ever notice on any game or test benchmark. We are talking single figures here.

So basically its a cheaper version of a real 560 which in itself is what it is but its bad that they should try and sell it as an OC version. It will do its job but wont overclock well if at all.
As such I personally would not but this card over a reference 6850. Especially if the 6850 is cheaper.

Mactronix :) 


Thanks for the good input but what do you think of the argument between Vapor X 7770 and 6850's? Like how most say that with more driver updates the difference between 7 series especially the Vapor X is more likely to be insignificant or quite possibly it could even overpower a reference 6850 in the future with more dx11 games coming out?




Would it matter if I go for a Sapphire or a Powercolor 6850?
The difference between the 2 here is quite absurd, I don't know why...
Are PowerColor cards' quality that much behind a Sapphire?

Power Color HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 6499.00 = around $150

Sapphire HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 7740.00 = around $180
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:41:20 PM

I would just get the Vapor X 7770
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:48:10 PM

OK, then just get yourself the 7770 :) .
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 12:57:32 PM

goldenboy999 said:
Thanks for the good input but what do you think of the argument between Vapor X 7770 and 6850's? Like how most say that with more driver updates the difference between 7 series especially the Vapor X is more likely to be insignificant or quite possibly it could even overpower a reference 6850 in the future with more dx11 games coming out?




Would it matter if I go for a Sapphire or a Powercolor 6850?
The difference between the 2 here is quite absurd, I don't know why...
Are PowerColor cards' quality that much behind a Sapphire?

Power Color HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 6499.00 = around $150

Sapphire HD 6850 1gb/256bit ddr5 PHP 7740.00 = around $180



Yes it is true that the 7 series cards will (should) get faster with driver updates and its also true that the 6 series cards wont get as much as a boost as the 7 series cards will from future updates.
This happened with the 5770 cards which were way below where they ended up at performance wise on release.

The 7770 is not very far behind a 6850 and is already faster in some games so taking everything into account then the 7770 is probably the better option after all. I have a bit of a thing about not liking the 128 bit memory interface but reviews and benchmarks show it to be no real issue.

This is a good review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7770_Vap...

Mactronix :) 

August 20, 2012 12:58:01 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I would just get the Vapor X 7770


What compels me about the Vapor X 7770 is it's newer tech with almost the same performance of a 6850 and better performance with dx11 games.

And the argument that with future driver updates the Vapor X 7770 will be even better while the 6850 is left as is... But in terms of raw power, 6850 is the winner hands down.

That's why I need your help guys in deciding which to get since the Palit GTX 560 is as Mactronix mentioned = no deal :D  We have Vapor X 7770 vs Power Color 6850

So far we have 6850= 1 vote.
Vapor X 7770 = 2 votes. (refillable change his mind :p )
August 20, 2012 12:59:34 PM

mactronix said:
Yes it is true that the 7 series cards will (should) get faster with driver updates and its also true that the 6 series cards wont get as much as a boost as the 7 series cards will from future updates.
This happened with the 5770 cards which were way below where they ended up at performance wise on release.

The 7770 is not very far behind a 6850 and is already faster in some games so taking everything into account then the 7770 is probably the better option after all. I have a bit of a thing about not liking the 128 bit memory interface but reviews and benchmarks show it to be no real issue.

This is a good review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7770_Vap...

Mactronix :) 


Yeah the 128 bit bus is one of its downsides but yeah as you mentioned its not very far behind, so the Vapor X 7770 gets the crown? Especially when they're priced almost the same here:D 

Update:

Vapor X 7770 = 3 votes.
PowerColor 6850 = None O_O

Edit: also one more thing that worries me is that I only have a PCIE 2.0 and a Sandybridge CPU, so I might not get optimized performance for the Vapor X 7770? Or does it really not matter?
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:16:11 PM

refillable said:
It doesn't matter. As long as you have a PCI-E x16, you should be good to go.
+1
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:16:36 PM

It doesn't matter. As long as you have a PCI-E x16, you should be good to go.
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:16:52 PM

Unless your mobo is really old, the pcie 3.0 should be backward compatible.
August 20, 2012 1:19:03 PM

selayan said:
Unless your mobo is really old, the pcie 3.0 should be backward compatible.


Nah I'm not worried about compatibility since I know every PCIE graphics cards is backwards compatible, I'm just worried about optimal performance; like it would perform better in PCIE 3.0 than 2.0 since the 3.0 is what it's designed for..

And thanks everyone so doesn't really matter even performance is the same??
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:23:52 PM

Yes it shouldn't matter :) .
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 1:45:36 PM

I don't think there is much performance hit if any at all. PCIE 3 probably has a better advantage in SLI or crossfire but for a single card dont worry.
August 20, 2012 1:47:50 PM

It would be better to get a 7770 then add another later for CFX. They have great scaling and the value for a single card is amazing, I had one and it was great. The 560's arent TOO bad but... Its your money, and you would save some cash. Just my opinion! :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 3:31:26 PM

If that sapphire HD7770 ghz ed. with vapor x cooler isn't already overclocked in the box
then isn't it designed to be overclocked? you may be able to push it very far with the
likes of free MSI afterburner software and a voltage bump. May end up performing as
well as or better than the GTX560 you were thinking about.
August 20, 2012 9:28:13 PM

jtenorj said:
If that sapphire HD7770 ghz ed. with vapor x cooler isn't already overclocked in the box
then isn't it designed to be overclocked? you may be able to push it very far with the
likes of free MSI afterburner software and a voltage bump. May end up performing as
well as or better than the GTX560 you were thinking about.


Sorry just got back :X

Are there many variations of 7770 Vapor X? As far as I know there is only "one" 7770 Vapor X clocked at core:1100mhz and Effective Memory:5200mhz..

The 7770 I know that has many variations are the Ghz Editions, which Vapor X is part of and is overclocked 100mhz more than the regular Ghz Edition 7770's. And yes I've read that you can push it as far as 1200+ mhz core and 6000mhz memory or probably more.

More people are leaning towards the Vapor X, and I'm still pondering about which to get :p 

Also for the crossfire advantage, I probably wouldn't be able to benefit from it.
My Motherboard only has 1 PCIE 2.0 :(  Sad, I know I was super tight in my budget when I bought this so.....

Here is my Motherboard, in case, anyone is wondering http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157251
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 10:16:53 PM

I like the Vapor x cards, good cooling, stock clock is overclocked already, and they also look nice too :) 

Out of the three you listed I vote the Saphire 7770.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:32:11 AM
Share

The Sapphire Radeon HD7770 Vapor X edition:

techpowerup: 1235 1515 highest core oc of 5 7770s, middling mem oc
faster than hd6870 in bf3 @1920x1200 w/4xaa after oc, cool and quiet

pureoverclock competes w/gtx460(6850) at factory oc, cool and quiet

bjorn3d 1200 1475 cool and quiet
"enough power to run all the latest video games at medium to high
graphics settings at higher resolutions of 1680 x 1080 and 1080p."

this was from a few top review hits on google(cherry picked, yes)

I like reading tom's for tech stuff, but for gpu reviews i prefer
hardocp and techreport. on feb. 14th [H] showed a similarly factory
overclocked xfx 7770 provided the same gameplay experience as both
the hd6870 and and gtx560ti out of the box with still more room to
overclock beyond that. they actually sit down and play games for a
while on the compared cards and fiddle with the settings to see what
a given card can be set at and deliver what they consider to be a
subjectively smooth framerate. not scientific but how most gamers
game, not setting a bunch of cards to run at the same settings and
running them thru a canned benchmark without playing them. while
it ran a little slower fps wise compared to the two older cards
tested, they still frag bots in single at 1080p with all ultra fxaa
and real peeps in multi with ambient occlusion bumped down a hair
from horizon based to screen space, the most demanding of games in
the testing suite. and that was with the feb. drivers and no extra
overclocking. (diff. between hbao and ssao not likely to be noticed
while attempting to both frag and not be fragged yourself)

within the last year or so, techreport changed the way they analyze
gpu performance by lookin at how long cards take to render individual
frames. one card might show 50fps in a given second but have one
500ms frame(1/2second) and 50 10ms frames where another card has 40
25ms frames and a fps of 40. which card do you want? not the one that
throws in an occasional 1/2 frame to ruin the illusion of fluidity.
newer GCN architecture cards seem to have less of an issue with this
compared to older cards, at least as far as single gpu cards/setups
are concerned. higher end kepler gk104 based cards seem to have less
issues in sli than amd hd7000 series cards do in crossfire.

you can think of this kind of like how hardwaresecrets does their psu
reviews. they use a load tester and also test for ripple. a bad psu with a
lot of ripple may fail relatively quickly (taking 1 or more other components
with it), while a good psu with low ripple will likely power any rig thrown
at it within its wattage rating for many years without issue. ripple, of
course, is not the only important factor in what makes a good psu,
another is can it actually deliver its rated amount of power(or more) or
not even 1/2 to 2/3 without burning out. but back to GPUs, i would much
rather have a gpu that renders frames uniformly(albeit at a little lower fps)
that one alterating from a very long frame time to a very short one from
one frame to the next.

a couple issues with techreport are that while very scientifc and well
done, they do run all cards at same settings/res and limit playtime to
1-2 minutes to keep their frametime graphs manageable. they do strive
to test the most demanding parts of games in their test suite, tho. same
as about any site that reviews video cards so you know what a card's
worst case scenario will be in a given game.

So the 7770 ghz ed. is a great card at current pricing (especially vapor x).

GOOD LORD MAN! WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? jk (kind of)
August 21, 2012 10:09:21 AM

jtenorj said:
The Sapphire Radeon HD7770 Vapor X edition:

techpowerup: 1235 1515 highest core oc of 5 7770s, middling mem oc
faster than hd6870 in bf3 @1920x1200 w/4xaa after oc, cool and quiet

pureoverclock competes w/gtx460(6850) at factory oc, cool and quiet

bjorn3d 1200 1475 cool and quiet
"enough power to run all the latest video games at medium to high
graphics settings at higher resolutions of 1680 x 1080 and 1080p."

this was from a few top review hits on google(cherry picked, yes)

I like reading tom's for tech stuff, but for gpu reviews i prefer
hardocp and techreport. on feb. 14th [H] showed a similarly factory
overclocked xfx 7770 provided the same gameplay experience as both
the hd6870 and and gtx560ti out of the box with still more room to
overclock beyond that. they actually sit down and play games for a
while on the compared cards and fiddle with the settings to see what
a given card can be set at and deliver what they consider to be a
subjectively smooth framerate. not scientific but how most gamers
game, not setting a bunch of cards to run at the same settings and
running them thru a canned benchmark without playing them. while
it ran a little slower fps wise compared to the two older cards
tested, they still frag bots in single at 1080p with all ultra fxaa
and real peeps in multi with ambient occlusion bumped down a hair
from horizon based to screen space, the most demanding of games in
the testing suite. and that was with the feb. drivers and no extra
overclocking. (diff. between hbao and ssao not likely to be noticed
while attempting to both frag and not be fragged yourself)

within the last year or so, techreport changed the way they analyze
gpu performance by lookin at how long cards take to render individual
frames. one card might show 50fps in a given second but have one
500ms frame(1/2second) and 50 10ms frames where another card has 40
25ms frames and a fps of 40. which card do you want? not the one that
throws in an occasional 1/2 frame to ruin the illusion of fluidity.
newer GCN architecture cards seem to have less of an issue with this
compared to older cards, at least as far as single gpu cards/setups
are concerned. higher end kepler gk104 based cards seem to have less
issues in sli than amd hd7000 series cards do in crossfire.

you can think of this kind of like how hardwaresecrets does their psu
reviews. they use a load tester and also test for ripple. a bad psu with a
lot of ripple may fail relatively quickly (taking 1 or more other components
with it), while a good psu with low ripple will likely power any rig thrown
at it within its wattage rating for many years without issue. ripple, of
course, is not the only important factor in what makes a good psu,
another is can it actually deliver its rated amount of power(or more) or
not even 1/2 to 2/3 without burning out. but back to GPUs, i would much
rather have a gpu that renders frames uniformly(albeit at a little lower fps)
that one alterating from a very long frame time to a very short one from
one frame to the next.

a couple issues with techreport are that while very scientifc and well
done, they do run all cards at same settings/res and limit playtime to
1-2 minutes to keep their frametime graphs manageable. they do strive
to test the most demanding parts of games in their test suite, tho. same
as about any site that reviews video cards so you know what a card's
worst case scenario will be in a given game.

So the 7770 ghz ed. is a great card at current pricing (especially vapor x).

GOOD LORD MAN! WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? jk (kind of)



Nice read man, thanks. I think I'll get the Vapor X.
I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow, thanks to everyone. You guys really helped me alot in deciding which to get :D 

August 21, 2012 10:12:04 AM

Best answer selected by goldenboy999.
!