Sign in with
Your question

6 monitor display set up for multitasking and gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2012 11:37:48 AM

Hi,

Currently I have a quad monitor set up connected to two cheap low end PCI express video cards.
In the future I plan on upgrading to the GTX 690 card. I also plan on adding two more monitors.

Note: All the monitors I currently have in this configuration so far are all identical and the same size (21.5 inch Samsung LEDs). I plan on adding two more identical monitors of the same.

I'll be using the 6 monitor set up for a mixture of multitasking and gaming at a resolution of 5760 x 1080.
I intend to game at 5760-1080 across three monitors on ultra high settings (hence the reason I'm purchasing the EVGA NVidia GTX 690 video card).
The other three monitors I would like to have for systems monitoring, web browsing, chat, etc.

The 690 video card can display on up to 4 monitors.

Will adding another card allow me to do this configuration for 6 monitors? This second video card will be a temporary solution will be a much lesser card than the 690. non-SLI configuration

In the future (a year down the road maybe), I'm going to want to add another 690 video card for SLI

Will two 690s configured for SLI allow me to game at 5760 x 1080 on three monitors for surround gaming, and allow me to have 3 other monitors connected (for a total of 6) ?? Or will I have to add a third video card seprate from the two 690's that will be SLI configured to support this?

Here's a picture of my current set up.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/convertiblechr...

Thanks for any input on this.

-Chris
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 20, 2012 1:53:03 PM

Yes adding another card along with your 690 will allow you to go up to 6 or more monitors. Yes you will be able to game at 5760x1080 while still displaying / using your other monitors, just be sure the 3 monitors you want in your Surround configuration are all connected to the 690. I do this with my current EyeFinity setup.

In the future when you go SLI with another 690 you would need a 3rd card. When you SLI you can only use the outputs on one of the video cards. If your adding a cheaper card now to handle your extra monitors, just leave that same card in in the future when you add another 690.

If you're open to suggestions, you might want to look at the 7970 EyeFinity six edition rather than a 690. This would be able to handle 6 monitors on one card, then you can add additional cards for more power. This would be a cheaper solution and ATI's multi-monitor support overall seems to better than nvidias since they have been doing it on there last 3 generations of cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 2:15:49 PM

That's insane
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2012 7:05:54 PM

i am not so sure, i believe surround can work maximum at 3 displays.

also 690 can only be in sli with another 690, but since 4 cores are one too more, it will work but will be very expensive and maybe 30-70% of extra gpu power. dont bet on being able to buy 690 a year from now. they usually discontinue the product once 790 comes and you wont be able to get it.

and for such resolution you might consider the 4gb cards, as 690 uses just 2gb effectivly (2+2 per each core). i mean you will hit vram limit wall and then you get fps drop in games

best
revro
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:30:27 PM

AdioKIP said:
Yes adding another card along with your 690 will allow you to go up to 6 or more monitors. Yes you will be able to game at 5760x1080 while still displaying / using your other monitors, just be sure the 3 monitors you want in your Surround configuration are all connected to the 690. I do this with my current EyeFinity setup.

In the future when you go SLI with another 690 you would need a 3rd card. When you SLI you can only use the outputs on one of the video cards. If your adding a cheaper card now to handle your extra monitors, just leave that same card in in the future when you add another 690.

If you're open to suggestions, you might want to look at the 7970 EyeFinity six edition rather than a 690. This would be able to handle 6 monitors on one card, then you can add additional cards for more power. This would be a cheaper solution and ATI's multi-monitor support overall seems to better than nvidias since they have been doing it on there last 3 generations of cards.

Thanks I appreciate this!
m
l
August 20, 2012 8:32:07 PM

revro said:
i am not so sure, i believe surround can work maximum at 3 displays.

also 690 can only be in sli with another 690, but since 4 cores are one too more, it will work but will be very expensive and maybe 30-70% of extra gpu power. dont bet on being able to buy 690 a year from now. they usually discontinue the product once 790 comes and you wont be able to get it.

and for such resolution you might consider the 4gb cards, as 690 uses just 2gb effectivly (2+2 per each core). i mean you will hit vram limit wall and then you get fps drop in games

best
revro

Oh I'm definitely going with a 4 gb card. Thanks for the reply!
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:31:18 AM

7970 orrrr 6990...
m
l
!