Solved

Feedback on First Build Parts

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Monitors
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2012 11:37:22 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Before next year. The sooner the better.

Budget Range: About $1000 AU

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming really, possibly more in the future but for now just gaming and surfing the net.

Are you buying a monitor: Not yet.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: https://www.pccasegear.com

Overclocking: Possibly in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Also possible but not likely.

Your Monitor Resolution: Currently my monitor resolution is 1600x900. When I get a new monitor it will probably only be 1920x1080.

Parts to Buy:
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 4GB
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W
HDD: WD Black 500GB HDD
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

I already have a level 10 GT case that was given as a gift some time ago and an EVGA GTX 570 that was acquired at an extremely good price that I can't remember exactly earlier this year.

Could somebody please offer some feedback on this build as I would like to make what goes in to the new system when it is ready is as good as it can be with the imposed price restriction. Also as the title suggest this is my first full build (have replaced parts before but never built from scratch) :D 

More about : feedback build parts

a b C Monitor
October 13, 2012 12:24:41 PM

Everything looks great. All parts are compatible.
Good job! the PSU is probably SLI sufficient as well. Though give me a sec and double check.

EDIT: Yeah... I don't think so. x4 +12v rails @ 30amps each, total of 576w. I believe they cheaped out a bit on that, but it's still a good PSU. I just won't recommend it for 570 SLI. Though that will lead to it being overkill for a single GPU.

Consider these instead:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
l
October 13, 2012 1:18:06 PM

Everything looks good on this end 650 is more than enough for a single GPU, if you want to SLI got for a 750W
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
October 13, 2012 1:43:33 PM

Hmmm.. upon double checking, 2-way SLI 570s will work with 650w but will leave you about ~50w headroom left. Looks the above is correct, a 750w would be suggested.

Edited my previous post! :) 
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:45:54 PM

The reason I was looking at the antec one is that it is relatively well priced because I am trying to keep under the $1000 mark. So if I was not to SLI any time in the future, would the antec one still have enough to power a, say, 680 if I get the money?

If not that is not a problem as it is probably a while away.
Also, given that the original one I linked and the EarthWatts 750 are the exact same price, would you recommend that I go for the EarthWatts instead regardless of whether or not I will SLI in the future?

Finally, if you do recommend that one, could you tell me if all power supply AC cables are the same as according to this review of the unit, it does not come with one.

Thanks for the help! :D 
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 13, 2012 4:41:45 PM

It would be overkill if you won't be adding another GPU in the future.
If that's the case, you're better off with the Seasonic 520w.

I don't seem to understand the last question.
m
l
October 13, 2012 4:56:47 PM

The EarthWatts 750 you suggested doesn't come with a power cable, as according to the guide I linked it is targeted at those who are upgrading and already had a cable. So basically I was wondering if the cord from my current power supply can be used for that?

Is this the seasonic you were talking about? M12II 520W Modular
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 13, 2012 5:16:17 PM

Actually, never mind the Antec. I re-checked it, and it cheaps out on the +12v rail too.
Please consider the other alternatives.

Also, not that one. The S12II model one. :p 
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:20:40 PM

Given that the corsair is cheaper and I want to spend as little as necessary, would there be any major advantages for going for the 80 plus silver strider instead of the corsair?

Are the S12II and M12II identical other than the M1 being modular? And if I was to just keep the GTX 570 for a while and when I wanted to upgrade, also upgrading the psu, would this be a viable option or would it be better to go for a slightly more expensive one now just incase?
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
October 13, 2012 5:39:21 PM

Not really, the difference isn't that big between Bronze and all other certifications higher.

Not much difference between the two Seasonics.

The S12II uses only a single +12v rail @ 40amps, almost maxing out the wattage.
The M12II uses dual +12v rails @ 20 amps each.

I don't really like more than 1 rail on a PSU, since I find single rails more efficient.
October 13, 2012 5:43:25 PM

So would you recommend the S12II as the PSU, and are you sure it will be enough?
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 13, 2012 5:49:49 PM

For a single GPU, yes. It's more than enough.
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:50:24 PM

Best answer selected by Altrn.
m
l
October 13, 2012 5:51:30 PM

Ok thank you very much, will edit that in! Also saves me a little bit of money as well. :D 

Your help is truly appreciated!
m
l
!