I assemble the parts,install the OS and then?

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
As the title says what do I do next? This is my first custom build and I really need advice. I' m searching on my own too but I wanted your advice as well. I have picked quite good parts btw (i5 3570K, HD 7770 etc.)
I know that I have to install drivers, windows updates (I' ll be using windows 7) and an antivirus. So here are my questions:
1) If when I first start windows there is no internet connection I should install the proper drive from the CD that came with the mobo in order to gain access?
2) In what order should I do the above installs?
3) I' ve read that I should download drivers from the manufacturers' websites as those incuded on CDs will be out of date and I should go to device manager. I should download only for the drivers that have question or exclamation marks next to them (the other are updated by windows) or I should download for all of them regardless of what I see in the device manager?
4) (This has to do with installing the OS) Should I give a password when asked by the windows installation or it doesn' t matter(so skip it)?
I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The order I do my installs:

1) Windows
2) Pre-downloaded Drivers from the motherboard manufacturer (all)
3) Windows Updates
4) Graphic Drivers from manufacturer's web site

As for the password, do you want to have to enter it each time you turn on and log into the system (and prevent access to your files by other users)? If so, enter a password. If not, don't bother.

-Wolf sends

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Ok I' ll skip the password then as I don' t really need it.
When you say "Pre-downloaded Drivers from the motherboard manufacturer (all)" do you mean the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I mean go to your motherboard manufacturer's web site and download all of the drivers for your motherboard. Store them on a flash drive. Once Windows is installed, install the motherboard drivers from the flash drive. Don't even bother with the included CD.

-Wolf sends

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

I could do that but why not just download the drivers from the manufacturer' s website directly to my pc when windows is up and running?

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Ok it makes sense. And another question (maybe silly but I have to be sure).
I' m going to get the Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard and at their website they have rev.1.0 and rev.1.1 "versions". Which one should I choose to download from? Or is it the same?
Here' s a link(if I don' t mess up):
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Great! Thanks a lot.