Re-use old PSU for new build, good idea or not?

jcharger

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I've really caught the bug since I started using these forums and built my first computer. I want to build another htpc for the bedroom that will exclusively be used to play dvd's and stream Netflix and things like that.

I have a 460w psu sitting around from when I upgraded my dell xps 8300, that was working fine, just changed because I needed wore wattage for a new gpu on that machine (It's less than a year and a half old). I want to know if it would be advisable to re-use that psu, or if that's a risky idea, and I should just get a new one.

Planned build: FM2 mobo, A-10 (5700? the low power version), 8 GB ram, SSD, maybe HDD, and DVD and/or Blu-ay drive. And maaaybe i'll put in a 6670 I have lying around, but I honestly didn't see ay benefit on the apu/gpu crossfire on my other htpc.

As you can see, it's a low power demanding build, so I'm not concerned about 460w, it's probably way more than this build would need. I am concerned whether or not re-using a Dell psu is a bad idea or not.

Appreciate any insight!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
460w should be more than enough for your needs. The old XPS rigs actually had decent (by Dell standards) PSUs in them. Just keep in mind that (if a Dell PSU), that your cable lengths (for the 24-pin main and 4-pin(or 8) aux power connections) might be a problem. Look closely at how all will be mounted in your case.

If it were me, I would just buy a new PSU at the same time I purchased the other components. I strongly recommend Seasonic and Corsair PSUs.

Good luck!

jcharger

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Good point, and since I might switch to a m-itx or micro-atx build, I guess I'm better off spending a few more bucks and starting with all new stuff. I just hate to waste perfectly good components. Thanks!

Hi - just a cautionary note, if you switch to a small min-itx, etc., just
insure that it'll house a std ATX PSU. There are specific mini itx and
micro atx psu's, but if your new case can support std ATX, you
will have more choices and better price/perf options.