Good budget processor for gaming

Sapling09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
hey, I am about to build a new PC and I want to buy a good budget processor. I have no idea which one to choose, since i5 are really expensive. I though I might give a try to an amd Phenom II X4 965 black edition and over clock it to 3.8 GHZ or so, but I was also considering a dual core I3 processor and upgrade to I5 later. I am not interested in hosting servers or rendering animations or anything like that, just pure gaming. In this case I know that it mostly depends on my GPU but modern games also require a powerful processor. I want to build a computer that will last at least 3 years without needing an upgrade but without choosing the right processor I believe it wont be possible.

My budget is 630$ and my PC specs are
8GB 1600mhz ram
gtx 660 twin frozr III 2gb/oc
1tb HDD
PSU: corsair VS650
Not sure about the processor and the motherboard.

Can you please help me. I want to have the best performance for the best price.

Thanks.

There's not much point in buying an i3 if you want to upgrade to an i5 - buy an Ivy Bridge pentium and a z77 motherboard, then upgrade to an i5-3570k when you can.

(The pentium is an i3 without hyperthreading, so it'll perform pretty much equally when gaming.)

Sapling09

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013

around 220$. I was thinking about buying AMD FX 6300 wich is a pretty good choise for gaming and nowhere far from I5... What do you guys think ?

twelve25

Distinguished

6300 is the next best thing to an i5 for gaming and easily the best choice on your budget.