Good budget processor for gaming

hey, I am about to build a new PC and I want to buy a good budget processor. I have no idea which one to choose, since i5 are really expensive. I though I might give a try to an amd Phenom II X4 965 black edition and over clock it to 3.8 GHZ or so, but I was also considering a dual core I3 processor and upgrade to I5 later. I am not interested in hosting servers or rendering animations or anything like that, just pure gaming. In this case I know that it mostly depends on my GPU but modern games also require a powerful processor. I want to build a computer that will last at least 3 years without needing an upgrade but without choosing the right processor I believe it wont be possible.

My budget is 630$ and my PC specs are
8GB 1600mhz ram
gtx 660 twin frozr III 2gb/oc
1tb HDD
PSU: corsair VS650
Not sure about the processor and the motherboard.

Can you please help me. I want to have the best performance for the best price.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about good budget processor gaming
  1. bump
  2. Check out this article:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

I would probably go with the Intel Core i5-3350P if your budget has room for it, if not the Intel Core i3-3220 is not bad either.
  3. There's not much point in buying an i3 if you want to upgrade to an i5 - buy an Ivy Bridge pentium and a z77 motherboard, then upgrade to an i5-3570k when you can.

(The pentium is an i3 without hyperthreading, so it'll perform pretty much equally when gaming.)
  4. What is your budget for CPU and motherboard?
  5. twelve25 said:
    What is your budget for CPU and motherboard?

around 220$. I was thinking about buying AMD FX 6300 wich is a pretty good choise for gaming and nowhere far from I5... What do you guys think ?
  6. Sapling09 said:
    bump

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first
  7. Sapling09 said:
    around 220$. I was thinking about buying AMD FX 6300 wich is a pretty good choise for gaming and nowhere far from I5... What do you guys think ?

6300 is the next best thing to an i5 for gaming and easily the best choice on your budget.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors