Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my Processor

Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2013 3:46:40 PM

Hi!
Im not too sure what i'm doing. I've done a bit of research into this but generally I haven't a clue.
Along with my Hard Drive and RAM, I am wanting to upgrade my processor. I've found its not enough for what I want to do (gaming etc) All the information I can find is on Belarc Advisor. Here is what I've found:

Processor:
2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board:
Board: BIOSTAR Group N61PB-M2S 1.0
Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 06/16/2008

What Processor would I need to get? I just don't understand all the 'sockets' etc.
I'm looking for atleast a Quad-Core (5GHz or more) it would also need to be 64 bit ready.

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

More about : upgrading processor

February 25, 2013 3:59:46 PM

From what i can tell, the best cpu you can get is AMD Phenom™ II X4x945 it's clocked at 3ghz theres no way you would get a 5ghz processor just like that, it would take loads of overclocking and a good cooler. Your motherboard is socket am2+/am3 refer to the link for any information the tdp is 95w so if it was higher then you could get a stronger cpu/power hungry the 945 is still a great cpu.

But all in all The best one you can get is the phenom ii x4 945 from what i see on the cpu support list. someone else could correct me. Remember to update the bios before you change cpu

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2013 4:00:58 PM

If your looking for 5GHz or more your going to need to upgrade your entire system.
Keep in mind just because it's 5GHz doesn't mean it's necessarily faster. For instance. A i5 2500k at 4.5 GHz is = to the Ivy bridge i5 3570K @ 4.1-4.2 ish GHz. There's more that comes into play besides the clock speed. My advice would be to give a total budget. Like $1000.00 or w/e your willing to spend and someone on here can help you put together a quality build that will blow your current system out of the water.
Related resources
February 25, 2013 4:10:03 PM

I can't find info on that motherboard at the Biostar site.
February 25, 2013 4:17:54 PM

Okay thanks for your help. I think I was exaggerating when I said 5GHz...
My PC cant run high demanding games at the moment (2.1GHz and 2GB RAM) which is why I was looking into a new CPU, and I cant currently afford to buy a whole new system.
I will look into the phenom ii x4 945.
Thanks again
:) 
February 25, 2013 4:45:52 PM

You want 4gb of ram at least and it seems you have a 32bit os if i'm correct? just a guess 4gb is all you can use on 32bit so any more will be a waste.
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2013 6:18:54 PM

compukid7 said:
Okay thanks for your help. I think I was exaggerating when I said 5GHz...
My PC cant run high demanding games at the moment (2.1GHz and 2GB RAM) which is why I was looking into a new CPU, and I cant currently afford to buy a whole new system.
I will look into the phenom ii x4 945.
Thanks again
:) 

Before you buy a new cpu look into overclocking your current one and see if you can't get some gains. Then start saving for a new build ;) .

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-cpu-overclock,2...

In my opinion buying a new cpu (in your case) is a lot like throwing a band-aid at a cut that needs stitching. You can reuse your HDD, and maybe some other parts on a new build when you have some money saved up. Which the money used to buy the new proc can go directly into your new pc fund :)  just my .02 cents :) . Good luck!
a c 102 à CPUs
February 25, 2013 8:05:46 PM

What graphics card do you have its the most important thing for gaming.
!