What is a T-mount adapter ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 7, 2004 3:56:11 AM

I was looking at a Quantaray 600mm~1000mm zoom lens and it indicated it needs a T-mount
adapter.

Can anybody describe what this is and any model numbers I can look-up for Canon ?

Thanx...
Dave

More about : mount adapter

November 7, 2004 3:56:12 AM

For Canon EOS:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

For Canon FD:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:56:11 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>I was looking at a Quantaray 600mm~1000mm zoom lens and it indicated it needs a T-mount
>adapter.
>
>Can anybody describe what this is and any model numbers I can look-up for Canon ?
>
>Thanx...
> Dave

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:56:12 AM

"T-Mount" refers to a small format video lens that came into use in the late
1970s/early 80s. If you got a closed circuit video camera in those days, it
probably had one. As I recall it is a threaded lens mount. Your Quantaray
lens was probably designed for small scale professional video (news casts?).

>I was looking at a Quantaray 600mm~1000mm zoom lens and it indicated it
>needs a T-mount
> adapter.
>
> Can anybody describe what this is and any model numbers I can look-up for
> Canon ?
>
> Thanx...
> Dave

November 7, 2004 5:22:03 AM

Thanx Bill. That fills the picture "almost" completely.

Can you explain what the adapter is ?

I do appreciate the URLs. I bookmarked the EOS URL.

Dave

"Bill" <mono@dev.nul> wrote in message news:4k0ro0dlnpae5msnl5faf4tdnuksq38sq7@4ax.com...
| For Canon EOS:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

| For Canon FD:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

| On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:56:11 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
| >I was looking at a Quantaray 600mm~1000mm zoom lens and it indicated it needs a T-mount
| >adapter.
| >
| >Can anybody describe what this is and any model numbers I can look-up for Canon ?
| >
| >Thanx...
| > Dave

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:10:26 AM

Police Box wrote:
> "T-Mount" refers to a small format video lens that came into use in
> the late 1970s/early 80s. If you got a closed circuit video camera
> in those days, it probably had one. As I recall it is a threaded
> lens mount. Your Quantaray lens was probably designed for small
> scale professional video (news casts?).

What you are describing might be "C-mount", used for video since the
1960s.

According to:
http://www.fli-cam.com/FLIsupport/tmount.htm

Tamron introduced T-mount in 1957 as a universal lens mount for 35mm
cameras!

Cheers,
David
November 7, 2004 3:57:56 PM

Sorry, I don't have a clue.

When you posted your inquiry, I thought perhaps the lens in question was
made for a mount other than Canon and you were looking for something to
convert it to a Canon EOS mount. So I went and looked at B&H and you see
what I found. However, I don't think the Bausch & Lomb adapter pictured
actually does that, I'm not sure what it is supposed to do. Since you
wanted it, I thought you would know. :-)

Let's go at this from the other side: What do you need the adapter to
do? You mentioned a lens that needs a T-adapter. Why does it need a
T-adapter? To attach the lens to a Canon camera? To attach the lens to a
telescope?

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:22:03 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Thanx Bill. That fills the picture "almost" completely.
>
>Can you explain what the adapter is ?
>
>I do appreciate the URLs. I bookmarked the EOS URL.
>
>Dave
>

>"Bill" <mono@dev.nul> wrote in message news:4k0ro0dlnpae5msnl5faf4tdnuksq38sq7@4ax.com...
>| For Canon EOS:
>|
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>|
>| For Canon FD:
>|
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>|

>| On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:56:11 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
>| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>|
>| >I was looking at a Quantaray 600mm~1000mm zoom lens and it indicated it needs a T-mount
>| >adapter.
>| >
>| >Can anybody describe what this is and any model numbers I can look-up for Canon ?
>| >
>| >Thanx...
>| > Dave

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:52:04 PM

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
> Can you explain what the adapter is ?

The T-mount adapter was introduced by Tanmron in 1957 as a "universal"
lens mount. The lens would have a 42mm diameter threaded rear flange,
and a camera spesific adapter was fitted to this. The idea was that
with the use of the T-mount adapter, a lens could easily be adapted to
fit any camera.

The T-mount adapter very simple, and has no couplings to transfer
apeterture or AF, so it isn't suitable for advanced modern lenses.
But it is still in use to fit telescopes and mirror tele lenses to
various camera bodies.
When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:01:50 PM

Bill <mono@dev.nul> writes:
> David H. Lipman" wrote
>> Bill <mono@dev.nul> wrote:
>>> David H. Lipman" wrote

>>> For Canon EOS:
>>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
>>> For Canon FD:
>>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

>> Thanx Bill. That fills the picture "almost" completely.
>> Can you explain what the adapter is ?

> Sorry, I don't have a clue.
>
> When you posted your inquiry, I thought perhaps the lens in question was
> made for a mount other than Canon and you were looking for something to
> convert it to a Canon EOS mount. So I went and looked at B&H and you see
> what I found. However, I don't think the Bausch & Lomb adapter pictured
> actually does that, I'm not sure what it is supposed to do. Since you
> wanted it, I thought you would know. :-)

The OP wanted it for this lens:
http://www7.ritzcamera.com/product/29925

The lens has a 42mm thread. To fit it to a camera one need an adapter
to whatever type of bayonet mount the camera has. After you've fitted
the adapter, the lens looks and behaves just like a lens with a
bayonet mount. If you look on the suggested "accessories" on the Ritz
Camera page, you'll find of lists of T-mounts for all major SLR
mounts.

To get the right adapter for a Canon dSLR body, you don't need a
"model number". Just get the EOS-version of the adapter and that's
all there is to it ...

(The T-mount is pretty standard, but for a Quantaray lens, I would get
the Quantaray adapter.)

When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:02:21 AM

Thank you Gisle.

You hit the "bulls eye" !

Dave

"Gisle Hannemyr" <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> wrote in message
| Bill <mono@dev.nul> writes:
| > David H. Lipman" wrote

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

| >> Thanx Bill. That fills the picture "almost" completely.
| >> Can you explain what the adapter is ?
|
| > Sorry, I don't have a clue.
| >
| > When you posted your inquiry, I thought perhaps the lens in question was
| > made for a mount other than Canon and you were looking for something to
| > convert it to a Canon EOS mount. So I went and looked at B&H and you see
| > what I found. However, I don't think the Bausch & Lomb adapter pictured
| > actually does that, I'm not sure what it is supposed to do. Since you
| > wanted it, I thought you would know. :-)
|
| The OP wanted it for this lens:
| http://www7.ritzcamera.com/product/29925
|
| The lens has a 42mm thread. To fit it to a camera one need an adapter
| to whatever type of bayonet mount the camera has. After you've fitted
| the adapter, the lens looks and behaves just like a lens with a
| bayonet mount. If you look on the suggested "accessories" on the Ritz
| Camera page, you'll find of lists of T-mounts for all major SLR
| mounts.
|
| To get the right adapter for a Canon dSLR body, you don't need a
| "model number". Just get the EOS-version of the adapter and that's
| all there is to it ...
|
| (The T-mount is pretty standard, but for a Quantaray lens, I would get
| the Quantaray adapter.)
|
| --
| - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
| ========================================================================
| When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:06:35 AM

I should ask your opinion of it. To be connected to a Canon EOS Digital Rebel.

Dave

| Thank you Gisle.
|
| You hit the "bulls eye" !
|
| Dave
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 4:58:52 PM

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
> I should ask your opinion of it. To be connected to a Canon EOS
> Digital Rebel.

The lens or the adapter?

I have no first hand experience of the lens. But I am sure you're
aware that Quantaray is RitzCamera's house brand and that the lenses
sold under this brand is made by others. Ritz want $350 for this zoom
which is at least $100 too much. Looking at the specs, it is obvious
that it is a rebranded version of the Vivitar Series 1 600-1000mm
f/9.9-16. The Vivitar version sells for $250 in most places ($300 in
a package from B&H that includes the EOS T-mount adapter and a 2x
teleconverter). At this price point, you can't expect top class
optics.

As for the T-mount adapter, I use one to connect a Sigma 500mm mirror
lens to a Kodak DCS-460 (Nikon mount) - and that works fine.

You should be aware that with a T-mount, you'll shoot fully manual -
but as far as I know, the 300D has a fully manual mode so that should
not be a problem.
When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:29:16 AM

You are right! My bad!
I guess I've gotten more tired than I thought!

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Police Box wrote:
>> "T-Mount" refers to a small format video lens that came into use in
>> the late 1970s/early 80s. If you got a closed circuit video camera
>> in those days, it probably had one. As I recall it is a threaded
>> lens mount. Your Quantaray lens was probably designed for small
>> scale professional video (news casts?).
>
> What you are describing might be "C-mount", used for video since the
> 1960s.
>
> According to:
> http://www.fli-cam.com/FLIsupport/tmount.htm
>
> Tamron introduced T-mount in 1957 as a universal lens mount for 35mm
> cameras!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 1:17:37 AM

Thanx for that informational summation.

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
| > I should ask your opinion of it. To be connected to a Canon EOS
| > Digital Rebel.
|
| The lens or the adapter?
|
| I have no first hand experience of the lens. But I am sure you're
| aware that Quantaray is RitzCamera's house brand and that the lenses
| sold under this brand is made by others. Ritz want $350 for this zoom
| which is at least $100 too much. Looking at the specs, it is obvious
| that it is a rebranded version of the Vivitar Series 1 600-1000mm
| f/9.9-16. The Vivitar version sells for $250 in most places ($300 in
| a package from B&H that includes the EOS T-mount adapter and a 2x
| teleconverter). At this price point, you can't expect top class
| optics.
|
| As for the T-mount adapter, I use one to connect a Sigma 500mm mirror
| lens to a Kodak DCS-460 (Nikon mount) - and that works fine.
|
| You should be aware that with a T-mount, you'll shoot fully manual -
| but as far as I know, the 300D has a fully manual mode so that should
| not be a problem.
| --
| - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
| ========================================================================
| When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:35:17 AM

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:56:11 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>I was looking at a Quantaray 600mm~1000mm zoom lens and it indicated it needs a T-mount
>adapter.
>
>Can anybody describe what this is and any model numbers I can look-up for Canon ?
>
>Thanx...
> Dave

Good learner for me too

http://www.fli-cam.com/FLIsupport/tmount.htm