mechie72

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
So far i remember, the Nvidia 670 and the 680 should have the kepler 110 but they have the kepler 104.
So does someone knows when the gonna use the Kepler 110 on the videocards?
Because now i thinking to wait to replace my old 5850 until they gona use the kepler110.
I hope some of you can help me.

next generation most likely but not really as well. the gk110 is pretty much the most complex consumer chip out there with 7.1 billion transistors. it isnt cheap. their tesla k20 (using gk110 chip) will cost around 2000-3000 a piece

4745454b

Titan
Considering how well GK104 performs, does it matter? The only thing GK110 would have on it is the non crippled FP64bit abilities. Totally useless for gaming. If you want to upgrade your 5850 I would do so now. Or in a few weeks time to see if/how the GTX660TI shakes things up. No real reason to wait for GK110.

The only reason I care about GK100 is it shows how bad things are for Nvidia at the moment. GK100 was scraped altogether. GK110 was pushed back. GK104 became the new "big card" instead of the staying as the midrange. Nvidia has been having a lot of issues with the manufacturing and the problems with GK100/110 should be showing them they need to change things up. Instead they blame TSMC and keep plowing ahead. But for an end user this all means nothing.

+1

I agree with you 100%. I highly doubt I will be purchasing anything from Nvidia again. I don't like that they would strip out a majority of the number crunching ability of the card just so they can make more $$ from corporations and screw the normal customer. I used to purchase their cards religiously for number crunching for Seti and other projects, now I will not. I am not going to pay $2000+ for a video card just to waste more money in electricity/heat to work on a free project. It looks like my GTX 480's will have to last.

GK110 still uses Kepler architecture the same used in GK104. the difference is GK110 will be geared more towards GPGPU application just like GF100/110 did. so will it be used on geforce products? that's remain to be seen. at the very least there is no words from nvidia themselves that GK110 will be made for professional market only. the only concern was the demand might be high on the professional space that the capacity provided by TSMC will not be enough to meet the demand on time hence the rumor about the whole available chip will be reserved for Quadro or Tesla which also leads to the speculation about nvidia will not make GK110 based Geforce because of the tight supply

cheap or not i'm sure they won't pop a 2k-3k price on geforce part.

If you are only using the card for gaming, I wouldn't be all that worried about the GK110. It actually might help a tad in a rare few gaming situations, like Metro 2033, which uses Directcompute and likely why AMD does better on it, but for the most part, gamers don't need those GPGPU stuff. In some cases, PhysX servers that purpose.

Its not Nvidia's fault that people were stupid enough to pay the asking price for the 7970 now is it ?
What would you do ? AMD put out a card that has basically no perf increase due to arch or shrink yet charge an arm and a leg for it and you as Nvidia are sitting there with a GPU chip that out performs it.
Sell it for mid range prices or undercut and outperform the opposition at the oppositions own price point ?

Mactronix :)

There is no need for GK110 in the consumer market place at the moment.
Much like Intel Nvidia find themselves in a position where AMD are not competitive with them and so they are keeping the better hardware in the professional segment and at the same time being able to charge top dollar for them.

As some have said its possible GK110 may make it through eventually in some form or other, for now though its a case of why sell a GPU for consumer gaming money ? even at the top end it dosent come close to the return they get on professional cards.

There is also a good chance that the extras that come with the GK110 won't even translate to improved gaming performance. Not many games use GPGPU.

pleasing the fanboy will not make them profit. they saw 7970 performance and figure it out they could sell their supposed $300 GK104 as a $500 part so they can maximize their profit margin. the story will only be different if AMD holds 70% of the discrete gpu market.

4745454b

Titan
Going from what I said earlier, you're talking about a part that doesn't exist yet. GK100 failed. Completely. Never happened. GK110 isn't out yet. There are probably a few in labs being tested, but they aren't out. Did you really want Nvidia to sit and wait for GK110? 6+mos to go by and not sell any new cards? I think they got lucky that the 7970 only hit the performance they did or then Nvidia would be in real trouble.

I have not really been following this that close. Can you share some links regarding the GK110 please.

Sorry, I just plain don't understand your view point here.
Maker A builds a sub par part and charges way too much money for it.
Maker B builds a part that outperforms it and sells it for cheaper.

Yet you sat its Maker B that is in the wrong ? :pt1cable: Sorry that logic just fly.

redeemer

Distinguished

Complex doesnt mean superior, their Tesla cards cost thousands and a 7970 costs around 400 and provides more compute power.

redeemer

Distinguished

These big graphic companies kind of approximately know where the competitors performance is going to be in regards to new architectures. You can build the most powerful chip you want but if its design are going to give you manufacturing problems than its considered failed like you said(GK100). AMD new exactly what they were doing with Tahiti and managed to get a whole line of 28nm parts out with hast, where Nvidia it took them a whole year.

honestly you have to learn to distinguish between normal consumer card and pro consumer card.

i'm not really sure about the matter as well. if i'm not mistaken the rumor about GK100 being scrapped was originated from SA even before nvidia acknowledge the existence of GK110. not long after that rumor about GK110 starts to surface and in May nvidia did confirm the big K will be called as GK110. with the big K coded as GK110 some believe the rumor about GK100 being scrapped from nvidia product line was true.

redeemer

Distinguished

Honestly I think you should have read the entire thread, we are talking about the gk100 trickling down to consumers. Have no idea what youre talking about.

No one is sure about the inital intent of the Gk100, TSMC had problems according to Nvidia yet everyone else had no 28nm issues.

Hope you learned something

I guess if you are talking about the existing cards then fair enough. Although its really only DP where the AMD card is ahead.
I was daft enough to assume that as we were all talking about GK110 then that what you were talking about.
my bad entirely how can you do any other than guess at theoretical's about a card that dosent exist yet.

Obviously a card based on a GPU that is not designed to excel at DP will loose to one that is.