My current system is as follows:

ASRock z75 pro3
i5 2320 @ 3.0Ghz
(2) 4GB Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte Radeon 6850
120GB OCZ Vertex 4
(2) 500GB WD Black
500w Cooler Master eXtreme

I am upgrading my PSU to prepare for a graphics card update coming soon. I was looking at the XFX 650w PSU, but on Amazon, the 750w option had an awesome deal going for it. After rebate, it's actually cheaper than the 650w. The stock was running low, only 7 left when I clicked buy over an hour ago, so I figured I would at least make sure I get the PSU at a great price ($80.99 after rebate).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045L4BJ6/ref=ox_ya_o...

I am looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW for my graphics upgrade:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Link-DisplayPort-Graphi...

I will also be upgrading my CPU to the unlocked i5 3570k. Overclocking is something I would be interested in playing with later on.

My motherboard is Crossfire ready, not SLI, so I will not be able to pick up a second card later on unless I replace my Mobo after a year or two (which may happen).

With all that said, did I bite off more than I can chew with the 750w XFX PSU? Should I have opted for the 650w since SLI wont be happening anytime soon. I have read that going too high on wattage cant always be a good thing, though the XFX PSU's seem to be top notch quality hardware.

More about : 750w xfx psu

February 25, 2013 5:45:21 PM

Better to have a bit of headroom , never know when you might want to add a gpu , plus the psu will not work as hard . Good choice
Score
February 25, 2013 5:50:22 PM

jerry6 said:
Better to have a bit of headroom , never know when you might want to add a gpu , plus the psu will not work as hard . Good choice

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have been relatively unable to OC my 6850 on my current set up at all. I was previously blaming the card, but I am starting to think it was the PSU, which some have stated actually only runs at close to 400w consistently.

Just glad to hear 750w wont blow up my system :na: 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1178 ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 5:59:39 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference clocked GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The XFX ProSeries 750W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) PSU (P1-750S-NLB9), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with two 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode. There is plenty of spare capacity available on the +12 Volt rail to handle any overclocking of the CPU and/or graphics cards.
February 25, 2013 6:13:03 PM

Best answer selected by stat30fbliss.
Score
February 25, 2013 6:15:24 PM

Absolutely terrific response. Thank you so much for imparting your expertise on the subject, and ensuring that I did not make a mistake purchasing this piece of hardware. I will surely sleep easier tonight knowing I made the right choice.

Cheers!
Score
!