Sign in with
Your question

How do i unistall and reinstall a video card drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2012 5:28:41 PM

Hello,

I get a blue screen that states "Attempt to reset the displayt driver and recover from timeout failed." The driver appears to be nvlddmkm.sys with the following technical information " Address 830f0326 base at 83012000. DateStamp 4c379162."
However, when I use safe mode (and others) I get a black screen so I have no way of doing any trouble shooting. What should I do to get around this blank screen?
August 20, 2012 5:39:15 PM

use driver sweeper software and remove them in safe mode.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 5:54:00 PM

He can't get in safe mode, or he gets a blank screen anyway.

Afraid you'll have to reinstall windows. ( not sure though, wait for more reactions )
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 6:08:13 PM

do you have a onboard video?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a c 90 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 7:33:17 PM

remove the memory stick and leave only one in try to boot do that test with all your memory stick you could also try to test your hdd with the drive maker could be a badf sector where the nvidia driver are,if your system dont start try the hdd test on another computer
m
l
August 20, 2012 10:29:17 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
He can't get in safe mode, or he gets a blank screen anyway.

Afraid you'll have to reinstall windows. ( not sure though, wait for more reactions )

If i reinstall windows will I lose my documents saved on my hard drive? Sorry to ask another question, but this data is important to save.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 10:38:44 PM

Yes, so try every other suggestion first, i didn't think of the possibility's the other guys mentioned.

If you have an on board video just take out the gpu and see if it starts up. ( maybe you have to switch the on board video on at your bios settings, probably not )

If everything fails you can maybe try to save your files by putting your hd in a friends pc and copy all your docs ?
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:41:10 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Yes, so try every other suggestion first, i didn't think of the possibility's the other guys mentioned.

If you have an on board video just take out the gpu and see if it starts up. ( maybe you have to switch the on board video on at your bios settings, probably not )

If everything fails you can maybe try to save your files by putting your hd in a friends pc and copy all your docs ?

Okay... your speaking to someone who does not fully understand your comments. What is an on board video... I assume this is some type of connection I'm able to connect my monitor to that is not the video card?

What does take out my gpu mean... do you mean remove the video cards from the computer and hook the monitor up to some other connection?

I assume I can go into my settings (F2 or F8 or F12??) and change the bios (to what?)... but i've never done this before. Any more help would be appreciated.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 12:44:19 AM

Yeah, sorry for that.

Sometimes ( not always ) a pc comes with an video chip on the motherboard.

You can upgrade the pc then with an separate video card you put in a pci-e slot.

Do you know what you have inside, a card in a pci slot or not ?

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a c 90 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 12:54:03 AM

what is the name and model of your motherboard
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:35:50 AM

These are the parts that came with the computer I bought in 2007.

UY253

PRINTED WIRING ASSY..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)..., DOZER..., DESKTOP..., DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 710

HM678

PROCESSOR..., XXXX, 2.66, 8MB, KQUAD, BURN 3..., XE 486 TYPE...

MK376

ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., INTERFACE..., UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 1394

INFORMATION..., NO ITEM

TM617

ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., L5+, RED-AL, 1KW, 710

TJ258

ASSEMBLY..., HEATSINK..., SHROUD..., BLACK..., DOZER..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM...

U8622

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8

GR343

KIT..., SOFTWARE..., OVERPACK..., WINDOWS XP..., MCE05U, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...

PH316

Kit, Mouse/keyboard Combo United States, Bluetooth Desktop, AMF

HH748

Card, Graphic, 256, 7900, GS HMGA14

HF730

Display, Flat Panel Display, 20W2007WFP, Black, Dell Americas Organization

MY531

ASSEMBLY..., DVD+/-RW..., 16, TOSHIBA SAMSUNG STORAGE TECHNOLOGY..., Serial ATA..., BLACK...

NJ062

ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., INPUT/OUTPUT..., AUDIO, 6P, FRONT..., DOZER...

NR603

CARD (CIRCUIT)..., MULTI-MEDIA..., AUDIO..., SB0467

UP819

KIT..., Software, Trend Micro, 14 English

DY654

Kit, Software, Works, 8.5, Office TRIAL, English

149DF

INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #2

2R328

CORD..., POWER..., 15A, 125V, 5-15/C19

RG894

KIT..., SOFTWARE..., APPLICATION..., SONIC SOLUTIONS..., CINEPLAYER..., PRE-ACTIVATED...

TM727

HARD DRIVE..., 250G, S2, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE..., SGT-GLX

XH527

ASSEMBLY..., COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO..., 48, SONY..., Serial ATA..., BLACK...

UH837

KIT..., SPEAKER..., 12V, AS501, NMB..., BLACK...

MJ247

Assembly, Card, Graphics, Bridge Foam, Lead Free

P6712

Guide, Users Guide, Windows XP MCE2, Dimension/Inspiron

DH912

PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 700/710, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...

T4860

Guide, Product, Information Desktop, AMF/BCC

MH294

FILLER..., SECURITY..., FRONT..., PLASTIC..., FLOPPY DRIVE..., DOZER...

INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE

INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE

KU170

Pad, Mouse, Metal, Image Works Mfg Inc, Extreme Performance System

XM141

GUIDE..., OWNER..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 710, ENGLAND/ENGLISH...

J8461

ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., VIDEO..., LEAD FREE...

CW851

TECHNICAL SHEET..., MICROSOFT..., MESSAGE..., VISC, PERSONAL COMPUTER..., WORLD WIDE...

KC294

ASSEMBLY..., FOOT..., BOTTOM..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., DOZER...

m
l
August 21, 2012 3:43:55 AM

I wish I could upload a picture to show you the back of my computer. It appears I have another way to connect an external device that is addition to the two (2) videos cards installed in my computer (4 monitors). It looks like a 26 pin male connector, which I'm unfamiliar with, but could probable find at radio shack tomorrow. This pin is on the same card I plug my speakers into so it must be associated with that. I also have what appears to be a TV tuner card that has a slot for s-video.

When I called Dell they told me it was a bad video card, which I installed and did not solve the issue. I reinstalled the old video card, which produces a poor quality image in hopes that I could uninstall the driver and reinstall a driver, but I continue to get a recurring blue screen no matter what i do. Appreciate your continued assistance.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 11:16:21 AM

There is a way to upload pictures only i don't know how. Anyone else can explain ?

And that's a lot of cards and monitors you're running there, i'm afraid i do not know much about that stuff. Maybe it's smart to get as many cards as possible out of the system and start with only the video card you wanne use and than if it works ok add the others one by one and see where the problems start.

The 2 video cards are the same btw ?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
a c 90 U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 2:11:22 AM

UY253 this is the link for your mother board and it dont have onboard video http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dell-XPS-710-Motherboar... also your pci-e card could be defective and your power supply could not be powerfull enough to support 2 graphic card
m
l
!