Sign in with
Your question

Advise on what to do with my computer

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2012 4:56:51 PM

Hello
I am looking to upgrade my pc which is as Hp z800 workstation to something that will benefit me more.

I currently use my PC for rendering videos, playing games

I want to upgrade as I am lacking FPS while recording, (sometimes just playing games) and rendering times are very long.

My current PC Specs Are:

Processor
2x Intel® Xeon® Four-Core Processor E5640 2.7GHz (2.67GHz)

Number of processors

Memory
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

Internal drive
2x 250 GB SATA Drive

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512mb

Would selling this pc and getting a new one from cyber power be the best way to upgrade or too just upgrade the graphics card, as I have got the best chipset my board can handle.

Thanks -Arran

More about : advise computer

October 13, 2012 5:01:04 PM

Upgrade that RAM and Graphics Card! That Graphics Card is probably the main reason your games are laggy. I'm not sure about the slow rendering. Try to get 1600-1866 RAM
October 13, 2012 5:17:36 PM

Since you are rendering videos I'd replace your RAM with 16GB of 1600+ memory. And upgrade your graphics card to a GTX 660. It's 4 generations newer.
Related resources
October 13, 2012 5:30:05 PM

BreadWhistle said:
Since you are rendering videos I'd replace your RAM with 16GB of 1600+ memory. And upgrade your graphics card to a GTX 660. It's 4 generations newer.

Bingo! No need to really upgrade your whole PC that Xeon is a fantastic processor
October 13, 2012 5:32:32 PM

The Xeon is a fantastic platform for work, but games would run better on an i5. If you don't really need the Xeon platform it would be best to sell that and buy a new one IMO. If the workstation performance is most important, keep the Xeon and upgrade your GPU.
October 13, 2012 5:41:10 PM

^ True. But he has TWO Xeons. So I'm guessing he has a dual-socket motherboard. If so, it should run everything like a beast.
October 13, 2012 5:48:45 PM

Games won't run any better if you had ten Xeons, mate.
October 13, 2012 5:49:56 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Games won't run any better if you had ten Xeons, mate.

True, Xeons aren't built for stuff like gaming. If your serious about gaming get an i5 or i7 or maybe a AMD APU or XP processor
October 13, 2012 5:54:48 PM

So you think that the speed of my processors is not limiting at the moment?
October 13, 2012 6:00:00 PM

Tycer said:
So you think that the speed of my processors is not limiting at the moment?

No, no.. this Xeon processor you have beats a Intel Core i5-3360M @ 2.80GHz. Clock speed doesn't matter as much as people usually think. Even so, Xeons can be easily overclocked to 3.5Ghz+.
October 13, 2012 6:37:10 PM

IamJJJ said:
No, no.. this Xeon processor you have beats a Intel Core i5-3360M @ 2.80GHz. Clock speed doesn't matter as much as people usually think. Even so, Xeons can be easily overclocked to 3.5Ghz+.

My BIOS is a HP registered BIOS so the settings do not appear to be available to over clock. Any Ideas?

Another thing to mention is that this is a standard HP Z800 Workstation case. If I could overclock at which point would I need to improve the cooling?

I did find this on asetek's website: http://www.asetek.com/images/stories/reviews/hp-z800-li...
But I assume you would only need to do this if you clock it within an inch of its life.

I am also limited to DDR3 1333MHz, will I get a significant benefit adding another 8GB?

Sorry for the basic questions, new area for me.
October 13, 2012 7:24:11 PM

Tycer said:
My BIOS is a HP registered BIOS so the settings do not appear to be available to over clock. Any Ideas?

Another thing to mention is that this is a standard HP Z800 Workstation case. If I could overclock at which point would I need to improve the cooling?

I did find this on asetek's website: http://www.asetek.com/images/stories/reviews/hp-z800-li...
But I assume you would only need to do this if you clock it within an inch of its life.

I am also limited to DDR3 1333MHz, will I get a significant benefit adding another 8GB?

Sorry for the basic questions, new area for me.

Hmmm constraints....

I've heard some talk and it's pretty hard to OC those workstations. You could try 3rd part software but it may not work or hurt your system. As for the cooling, Xeons are one of the most OC-able processors so overlocking them to say 3.2Ghz won't make it run very hot. DDR3 1333 is pretty slow compared to what some people have. I would recommend at least DDr3 1600 for Rendering... and 16GB of it too.
October 13, 2012 7:41:18 PM

IamJJJ said:
Hmmm constraints....

I've heard some talk and it's pretty hard to OC those workstations. You could try 3rd part software but it may not work or hurt your system. As for the cooling, Xeons are one of the most OC-able processors so overlocking them to say 3.2Ghz won't make it run very hot. DDR3 1333 is pretty slow compared to what some people have. I would recommend at least DDr3 1600 for Rendering... and 16GB of it too.

Unfortuntly, the only way to get faster ram is to upgrade my Motherboard as its not compatiable
October 13, 2012 9:18:40 PM

Well, you could sell that PC, you'd most likely get a lot of money for it. At least half what you payed. And you could use that money and get an i7 PC and still have money leftover.
October 14, 2012 1:00:47 AM

Well I went ahead and made you a build that will perform better than yours I believe.
The Xeons are fantastic processors. Though that computer you have at the moment is mainly for server work. Plus its very limited in hardware customatization. That RAM and Graphics Card are old and not up-to-date. With all this said, those 2 processors are VERY expensive and valuable (800 a piece on newegg). That means your build is worth a ton to the right person. You could sell this build on ebay or similar for thousands. If you do sell it you could most likely afford this build and probably have $$$ left over. So, this build will sever you well for both gaming and rendering. The processor is top-of-the-line and is fairly overclockable. That 16GB of memory will blow yours out of the water with it's 2133mhz speeds. If you don't wanna buy a new HDD then use your 2 existing ones just call Microsoft about your hardware change and they will give you a license for you copy of windows then you just pop those HDD into your new PC. If you don't need to save your files or anything just get the one in my build. If you choose to use your 2 HDD you won't need to buy a new HDD or an OS. The Video card has great performance and is very up to date. Th power supply should fit all your overclocking needs. The Optical Drive supports Blu-Ray Readng and Burning. All in all, this is a exceptional rig for gaming and Video Editing/Rendering and should perform better than your current one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kfgu

Total Cost : $1356.64

Like I said, you may even have money left over if you can sell your current PC. Also remember - without the HDD and OS it will be about $250 cheaper.
October 14, 2012 1:22:24 AM

Since you already have the Xeons and replacing them would've yielded little gaming performance increase at the cost of every other workstation software performance plunging, I would recommend replacing only the GPU.

The two Xeons should be enough to last you a while. OCing them won't be necessary, and would be very hard on Xeon platforms. There's a reason why there are no K-edition Xeons.

EDIT: I noticed that you didn't mention any workstation apps. Many rendering software use all of the cores you throw at them.

I don't know if you should keep your current rig, or sell it while it's still worth a lot to buy a new rig.
October 14, 2012 2:23:07 PM

So by the looks of it I should sell my current PC which I can sell for around £1000

Should I them get a rig from Cyber Power Systems?
October 14, 2012 3:47:13 PM

You should build your own if you decide to sell.
October 14, 2012 4:08:24 PM

FinneousPJ said:
You should build your own if you decide to sell.

I would do the same.
!